User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UK gun surrender event

Senior Member V.I.P
    Overall activity: 91.0%

Thanks

UK gun surrender event

The United Kingdom’s National Gun Surrender event is officially over, and the results from each county are slowly starting to trickle in.
    During the two-week weapons amnesty, which ran from November 13th through the 26th, the North Yorkshire Police collected 228 weapons – some of which are loosely defined – and a few odd items.
    Here’s the breakdown:
    Firearms
    • Three handguns
    • 51 shotguns
    • 74 replica / imitation handguns / air pistols
    • 34 air rifles
    • Four rifles
    • A replica Thompson submachine gun
    • A replica AK47
    • Two shotguns disguised as a walking stick
    • One antique firearm
    • One gun used in connection with animal slaughter
    Other non-firearm weapons
    • Eight ornamental swords
    • 46 knives (including basic household knives, hunting knives, ceremonial daggers)
    • One cross bow
    • One bayonet
    Other items handed in
    • Four flares
    • A fork
    Yes, you read that right. Someone actually handed in an eating utensil.
    So, forks, flares, cross bows, bayonets, swords and knives aside – none of which are illegal in the UK, or require a permit – the North Yorkshire police saw 172 firearms brought in. Take out replica and air guns and you’re really only left with 80 firearms. The results suddenly seem much less impressive.
    Of course, North Yorkshire Police Sergeant Dave France still considers the event a success.
    “We’re really pleased with the response we’ve had to this year’s surrender,” France said according to the official North Yorkshire Police website. “We’ve had 30% more firearms handed in this time around compared to our last surrender in 2014 and that doesn’t include the non-firearms that have been surrendered.”
    “Every weapon has the potential to fall into the wrong hands and have a devastating impact, even those that are overlooked and forgotten in people’s homes,” France added. “So it’s reassuring to know that 231 weapons are now off the street safely.”
    Apparently, France is now including the fork and two of those flares in his count.
    “Just one weapon off the streets is one less that can be used to harm or threaten our communities and has the potential to save a life,” he concluded.
    The problem is, these weapons likely weren’t taken off the street. They were probably pulled from people’s basements, attics and storage closets where other unwanted, unused items sit collecting dust. But this – the actual effectiveness of buybacks and amnesties in reducing crime – doesn’t appear to matter much to officials, and that’s why we’ll continue to see these events being held in both the UK and at home.

I bet not a single muslim turned in any weapons. With the possible exception of the fork. Which must have been a "fork you pigs" statement.
    Last edited by Big Dummy; 12-02-2017 at 08:54 AM.
    "The most effective way to destroy people is to deny and obliterate their own understanding of their history." George Orwelll

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Big Dummy For This Useful Post:

Beachcomber (12-02-2017),Big Bird (12-02-2017),Old Ridge Runner (12-09-2017),Rutabaga (12-02-2017),teeceenj (12-02-2017)

Overall activity: 48.0%

Thanks
    Can't have any remaining weapons in citizen's hands during the Muslim takeover. Inconvenient.
    "If you think they hate Trump now, wait till his policies start working." (Dennis Miller)

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who kept their swords." (Benjamin Franklin)

"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society." ​(Aristotle)

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SharetheHedge For This Useful Post:

Big Dummy (12-02-2017),Hillofbeans (12-03-2017),Old Ridge Runner (12-09-2017),Rutabaga (12-02-2017),teeceenj (12-02-2017)

Alumni Member & VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Overall activity: 99.5%

Thanks
    and here in the land of the free,,,

"The nose, knows"

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rutabaga For This Useful Post:

Old Ridge Runner (12-09-2017)

Senior Member Forum Donor
    Overall activity: 34.0%

A private area on a beach in southeast Florida
    Thanks
    A couple of my wife's friends just went to the UK for a few months. Took them to the FLL airport last night.

Makes no f-in sense to me -- leaving SE Florida and going to the UK at this time of the year.

Actually there is a reason -- her troubled middle aged son who lives there.

Aah well . . . !

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P
    Overall activity: 59.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dummy View Post
    I bet not a single muslim turned in any weapons. With the possible exception of the fork. Which must have been a "fork you pigs" statement.
    Glad I read to the end. Was going to say exactly that.

But see?

Gun buyback/surrender programs are as useless in other countries as they are here.

Not a big surprise.

There should be a law against those scams, they're a waste of taxpayer dollars. The cops could be sent to Baltimore to walk around not seeing crime and have the same effect on public safety.
    Freedom Takes "I Won't". - Eric Frank Russell

Trump has been President for 280 days and Ruth Bader Ginzberg hasn't had the decency to die. What's up with that?

ONLY Roy Moore can keep the Senate out of Rodent control and KEEP that train of conservative Trump Judges on the Confirmation Highway.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sled Dog For This Useful Post:

Big Dummy (12-03-2017),Old Ridge Runner (12-09-2017)

Senior Member V.I.P

Thanks
    Clint Eastwood movie prop got turned in.

The film featured a group of Allied commandos who, disguised as Germans, were sent behind enemy lines to rescue a captured general. (Photo: IMFDB)

It turns out that one of the guns handed over to police in a national amnesty this month in the UK had some screen time back in its prime.
    As reported by Metro News, a former film worker turned in deactivated German MP40 submachine gun at Bridgwater police station in Somerset. Besides its military use, the demilled 9mm burp gun had a starring role in a 1968 MGM film shot in Europe, Where Eagles Dare, based on the Alistair MacLean war novel of the same name.
    In the film, Allied commandos infiltrate a German base, disguised at one point as German soldiers. One of the commandos? Army Ranger Lt. Morris Schaffer, played by Clint Eastwood, who deftly used a pair of MP40s in the film to mow down ‘nassis as needed.

Avon and Somerset Police’s evidence manager, Richard Vise, said they confirmed the gun was a prop and it will be transferred to the Royal Armouries Museum in Leeds.

Somerset constabulary’s high mileage MP40 prop gun, now destined for the Royal Museum. (Photo: Southwest News Service)

In all, the agency pulled in 210 guns and gunlike objects including a 1918 Enfield, two rifles made into lamps, a dozen WWII-era handguns, and a 1907 Dreyse pistol.
    The two-week amnesty, which wrapped up Sunday, was the first national firearms surrender in England and Wales since 2014
    Just gonna drop this Where Eagles Dare death count highlight reel right here.
    "The most effective way to destroy people is to deny and obliterate their own understanding of their history." George Orwelll

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P
    Overall activity: 59.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    "and gunlike objects"...

that says all that needs to said, doesn't it?
    Freedom Takes "I Won't". - Eric Frank Russell

Trump has been President for 280 days and Ruth Bader Ginzberg hasn't had the decency to die. What's up with that?

ONLY Roy Moore can keep the Senate out of Rodent control and KEEP that train of conservative Trump Judges on the Confirmation Highway.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sled Dog For This Useful Post:

Hillofbeans (12-03-2017)

V.I.P. V.I.P
    Overall activity: 58.0%

Thanks
    I used to respect them as a country, not anymore. They have become eunuchs, helpless, and unarmed.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hillofbeans For This Useful Post:

Big Dummy (12-03-2017),Old Ridge Runner (12-09-2017)

Senior Member V.I.P

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillofbeans View Post
    I used to respect them as a country, not anymore. They have become eunuchs, helpless, and unarmed.

English, thus superior Forum Donor
    Overall activity: 54.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillofbeans View Post
    The hungerford massacre finished gun ownership in the UK

The Hungerford massacre was a series of random shootings in Hungerford, Berkshire, United Kingdom, on 19 August 1987, when Michael Robert Ryan, an unemployed antique dealer and handyman, fatally shot 16 people, including a police officer, before taking his own life. The shootings, committed using a handgun and two semi-automatic rifles, occurred at several locations, including a school he had once attended. 15 other people were also shot but survived. No firm motive for the killings has ever been established, although one psychologist has theorised Ryan's motive for the massacre had been a form of "anger and contempt for the ordinary life" around him.

Hungerford massacre - Wikipedia
    A gentleman never insults unintentionally.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Tom-Cruise For This Useful Post:

Rutabaga (12-08-2017)

Thread Information