Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Deer Hunting

V.I.P. Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Overall activity: 25.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickity Plumber View Post
    "Herd management" = PC term of 2017 for "hunting".
    Nah. it’s always been referred to that way.If you’ve ever seen the statistics for deer related car collisons in this state.You’d understand why it’s called herd management.They even have an urban hunting weekend in some of the bigger towns because there are so many.Bows only and in designated areas of course.
    Last edited by East of the Beast; 11-14-2017 at 06:07 AM.

For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart...Heb.4:12

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P
    Overall activity: 52.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MrogersNhood View Post
    Now this here is a good idea for a thread! I'm not hunting this year, but I'm looking forward to next year.
    I wish for better health @MrogersNhood . I would love to take my wife on the hike up to the top of the mountain we used to hunt back in the day. Been maybe 30 years since I been there but I could walk right to my blind to this day. I would rather take a side-by-side up the fire road to get there. Much easier on these old tired hips.
    Originally Posted by sooda
    "You are an internet expert, Rickety".

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P
    Overall activity: 52.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by East of the Beast View Post
    Nah. it’s always been referred to that way.If you’ve ever seen the statistics for deer related car collisons in this state.You’d understand why it’s called herd management.They even have an urban hunting weekend in some of the bigger towns because there are so many.Bows only and in designated areas of course.
    I can see the "urban hunters" now. Dressed like out of Duke Nukem.

<see sig pic below>
    Last edited by Rickity Plumber; 11-14-2017 at 06:09 AM.
    Originally Posted by sooda
    "You are an internet expert, Rickety".

V.I.P. V.I.P
    Overall activity: 47.0%

Thanks
    Jet skis . . . Rode my sisters one time for a couple hours. Now I have no desire to ride one anymore.

"The Thrill is Gone".
    I would never buy one. My neighbor has two that he never uses, and he lets me take one out whenever I want. I only use it about 3 times a year, and it is fun when I do.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Retiredat50 For This Useful Post:

Rickity Plumber (11-14-2017)

Punch a communist
    Overall activity: 11.0%

Thanks
    I had deer all around me this evening. I got lazy though and it showed. I had out some fresh buck urine out and had three different bucks come in and wheeze and stomp and snort but would not come any closer. Doe's came around but would not get close either, they would snort and run. Tomorrow morning I wont be pressed for time so out early, have a good cover scent and a ground blind. I dont think the peak rut has started yet. The bucks are really starting to get aggressive with scrapes and rubs though. Any day now.
    Punch ANTIFA in the face

Overall activity: 10.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Retiredat50 View Post
    Chase? Don't most people that hunt deer put out food for them in certain spot to get them used to going there, and then sit in a tree and wait for the deer to come eat? I have nothing against hunting, it is a necessity, but from what I have seen, hunting rarely requires a person to hunt
    You should tag along with me sometime.........

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Retiredat50 View Post
    My first year here in Florida I was plagued by raccoons. My house is bordered on one side and behind with wooded lots (more like jungle). They would tear apart the vents on my roof and get in the attic, dig holes in my lawn, crap all over (their crap is toxic), get in the garbage when I put it out and destroy anything i left out. One night they ripped holes in my screened patio and just made a huge mess. That was the last straw and I had to get rid of them.
    I'm in FL at the moment helping my dad. I witnessed a raccoon milling about in the hotel parking lot.

Thanks
    I spend a lot of time in the woods hunting....fishing also. We put a fair amount of food in the freezer....I'm a meat hunter.

Was hunting deer and elk 2 weeks ago and was surrounded by deer and elk. I bowhunt and could not get a decent shot at anything. They were close.....like 10 yards close. The elk were screaming....what a sound to hear. I could not get a shot due to being caught in a bunch of thick scrub oak. Had one bull at 10 yards and only had a cow tag....such is hunting.

I do a bunch of photography for a hunting organization and really enjoy being outdoors. So far, 1 antelope is in the freezer.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MedicineBow For This Useful Post:

HawkTheSlayer (11-14-2017)

Overall activity: 11.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I wish for better health @MrogersNhood . I would love to take my wife on the hike up to the top of the mountain we used to hunt back in the day. Been maybe 30 years since I been there but I could walk right to my blind to this day. I would rather take a side-by-side up the fire road to get there. Much easier on these old tired hips.

I'm sorry for that. I was unable to go during bow season. I don't gun hunt anymore. During bow season, the woods is in its natural state, so pretty. Once the first gun goes off, the deer that were using one path, now use 3 different ones.

I plan on going next year.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MrogersNhood For This Useful Post:

Rickity Plumber (11-15-2017)

Games People Play V.I.P
    Overall activity: 50.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkTheSlayer View Post
    It's a very devisive issue. I can already see some very opposing opinions. I don't want to lose any friendships so I'll refrain except to say, just wait until the wild hogs take over your neck of the woods and destroy everythng. Including your lawn, garden, and crops.

They eat a hell of a lot better than deer, too. I cooked one yesterday.
    Wise move...and it's a shame, something as tied to our history, as primal, as generation-bonding...as ENJOYABLE AT THE TABLE...as hunting, should be divisive.

But it is. The sad part of it is, the natural predators of deer, lynx and cougars...lynx don't like people; and have moved out of areas such as upstate NY. Deer are left with no predators; and when hunting went out of fashion, the deer population exploded.

As did injuries and deaths from hitting deer on highways.

Mountain lions, I'm here to tell you...adapt better to human presence. They adapt; WE do NOT. They are silent, and when they feel the urge, they attack. Deer...or hikers. They've been found stalking hikers on trails all over Montana; and it is not illegal to shoot one in self-defense.

In fact it's encouraged of outdoorsmen, to be prepared, including with firearms.

I think that to understand the reason this is a quarrelsome topic, you need to understand why so much else of public interest is now so confrontative.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JustPassinThru For This Useful Post:

coke (11-15-2017),Rickity Plumber (11-15-2017)

Thread Information