User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Expensive Electricity In Australia

Alumni Member V.I.P
    Overall activity: 34.0%

Thanks
    There is no question that the Australian government is the sole reason electricity is so expensive in Australia.

RedheadAdmin V.I.P
    TPF Moderator
    Overall activity: 26.0%

Thanks
    What is it with countries like Britain and Australia committing national suicide to the liberal agenda and the Muslim invasion??
    Thank you for helping us provide great customer service
    CLICK HERE

Conservatism actually has some principals. -HayJenn

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P
    Overall activity: 56.0%

Oaxaca, Mexico, for almost twenty years. Born and raised in Memphis, TN, and worked in Colorado.
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Morning Star View Post
    Because in everything (Almost everything) we use, the on off switch is on the other side of the transformer than the wall outlet. This means on the wall outlet side power is flowing through the transformer even though the circuit on the other side of the transformer is open.
    I am not an electrical engineer but a quick survey shows I have a desktop computer and two monitors plugged in to electrical outlets. Then there are a toaster oven and a coffee maker--basic drip model--and a refrigerator. I also have a fan plugged in. I plug a few other things in, such as chargers for my Chromebook, cell phone, and earphones but they never get turned on/off while plugged in. They're only plugged in to charge. I also have five circuit breakers for emergencies that I've used only when working--with very minor projects--with the electrical wiring.

I am pretty sure the desktop computer has a power supply which is probably a transformer. But, I think that's all. I don't think the coffee maker, toaster oven, or refrigerator have a transformer.

So, other than the computer, which is plugged in to, of course, a power strip/surge protector with an on/off switch, I'm not sure of the value of an on/off switch at the wall plug.

I live in Mexico and don't own a lot of electrical devices and my electric bill runs about $12 USD a month. The bulk of our power comes from fuel oil and coal powered plants. We have a lot of hydroelectric but the production is small. One insignificant wind farm, and one nuclear power plant.

Alumni Member & VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Overall activity: 73.0%

Thanks

most of europe and australia use 220v for household power. we use 110v. [220 into the home divided into 110 at the panel]...

you pay for amps not volts....a device running with 110v that requires 10 amps [cost] will need half the amperage at 220v or 5 amps.

110v=10 amps
    220v=5 amps

think about household water pumps,,they come with the wiring/ability to use either 220v at 7.5 amps needed or 110v at 15 amps needed/used..

220v uses 2 hot legs and 1 ground.
    110.v uses 1 hot leg, 1 neutral [return] and 1 ground.
    [generally speaking]

why is electricity more expensive than here?

distribution, population...
    "The nose, knows"

pocossin
    Overall activity: 3.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rutabaga View Post

It isn't distribution or population:

When the eastern states' National Electricity Market was formed in the late 1990s, Australia had the lowest retail prices in the world along with the United States and Canada, CME director Bruce Mountain said.

Australian households pay highest power prices in world | afr.com

The "National Electricity Market" appears to be a government sponsored cartel.

Overall activity: 68.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas HoodIII View Post
    These "powerpoints" may be see by entering 'australia electrical powerpoints' and clicking on images. They are a bizarre and expensive complication, undoubted imposed by government and not the choice of consumers. Just something else to go wrong. Since clicking transformered electronic devices on and off stresses the circuitry, they may cost more in electronics damage than they save in transformer waste.
    Very true. And the consumers will just leave the switches in the "on" position" and the people that came up with this idea all while knowing this, will still get paid lots of money.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rutabaga View Post

most of europe and australia use 220v for household power. we use 110v. [220 into the home divided into 110 at the panel]...

you pay for amps not volts....a device running with 110v that requires 10 amps [cost] will need half the amperage at 220v or 5 amps.

110v=10 amps
    220v=5 amps

think about household water pumps,,they come with the wiring/ability to use either 220v at 7.5 amps needed or 110v at 15 amps needed/used..

220v uses 2 hot legs and 1 ground.
    110.v uses 1 hot leg, 1 neutral [return] and 1 ground.
    [generally speaking]

You pay for watts - the unit for power.

Alumni Member
    Overall activity: 42.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RGV View Post
    You pay for watts - the unit for power.
    Shocking.
    #BlackLIESMatter---Martin Luther King Jr. was a REPUBLICAN!

I VOTED FOR THE PRESIDENT!

Political Correctness is HATE SPEECH!

THE GREATEST DANGER TO THE USA IS THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY!

Thread Information