User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RIP Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P
    Overall activity: 24.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SharetheHedge View Post
    I have a very low tolerance for novels that are all "set-up" for 50 or 100 pages before anything really HAPPENS. I have set as many books aside, 50 pages in, as I have finished. If it doesn't grab me pretty quick, I'm out of there (though sometimes I will give it another chance). I realize that was not your problem with Hyperion, and I liked it from the onset also, but with Hamilton there has been a couple I didn't get thru. The two I mentioned I didn't set aside though. This may all be just my state of mind though, because I go for 6 months without reading anything then I binge and read 900 pages a week. I have to be really in the mood for it I guess?
    Hmmmm. I have writted two tomes, well 1 and 3/4 tomes. I'm still working on one. Huge books really, and both of them have the first 100 to 200 pages setting up the rest of the book. Without knowing the background of the characters, the choices they make later on won't make any sense. What is it that you object to in a long lead in?

Overall activity: 36.0%

Thanks
    Some books start right in the middle of an action sequence. You don't have to fully explain the characters or even why or how the event happened while it is happening.

The characters are defined and the event fully explained as the story unfolds. I don't know what the literary term is but that is a common modern writing style. Especially in mystery or suspense novels.
    "If you think they hate Trump now, wait till his policies start working." (Dennis Miller)

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who kept their swords." (Benjamin Franklin)

"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society." ​(Aristotle)

Overall activity: 36.0%

Thanks
    Hmmmm. I have writted two tomes, well 1 and 3/4 tomes. I'm still working on one. Huge books really, and both of them have the first 100 to 200 pages setting up the rest of the book. Without knowing the background of the characters, the choices they make later on won't make any sense. What is it that you object to in a long lead in?

Some books start right in the middle of an action sequence. You don't have to fully explain the characters or even why or how the event happened while it is happening.

The characters are defined and the event fully explained as the story unfolds. I don't know what the literary term is but that is a common modern writing style. Especially in mystery or suspense novels.
    Last edited by SharetheHedge; 09-13-2017 at 09:16 AM.
    "If you think they hate Trump now, wait till his policies start working." (Dennis Miller)

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who kept their swords." (Benjamin Franklin)

"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society." ​(Aristotle)

Thread Information