Thread: The Air Force's 'rods from god'

Forum IT Staff IT Staff
    Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Overall activity: 42.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries

The Air Force's 'rods from god'

The 107-country Outer Space Treaty signed in 1967 prohibits nuclear, biological, or chemical weapons from being placed or used from Earth’s orbit. What they didn’t count on was the U.S. Air Force’s most simple weapon ever: a tungsten rod that could hit a city with the explosive power of an intercontinental ballistic missile.

During the Vietnam War, the U.S. used what they called “Lazy Dog” bombs. These were simply solid steel pieces, less than two inches long, fitted with fins. There was no explosive – they were simply dropped by the hundreds from planes flying above Vietnam.

Lazy Dog projectiles (aka “kinetic bombardment”) could reach speeds of up to 500 mph as they fell to the ground and could penetrate nine inches of concrete after being dropped from as little as 3,000 feet
    The idea is like shooting bullets at a target, except instead of losing velocity as it travels, the projectile is gaining velocity and energy that will be expended on impact. They were shotgunning a large swath of jungle, raining bullet-sized death at high speeds.

That’s how Project Thor came to be.

Instead of hundreds of small projectiles from a few thousand feet, Thor used a large projectile from a few thousand miles above the Earth. The “rods from god” idea was a bundle of telephone-pole sized (20 feet long, one foot in diameter) tungsten rods, dropped from orbit, reaching a speed of up to ten times the speed of sound.

The rod itself would penetrate hundreds of feet into the Earth, destroying any potential hardened bunkers or secret underground sites. More than that, when the rod hits, the explosion would be on par with the magnitude of a ground-penetrating nuclear weapon – but with no fallout.

It would take 15 minutes to destroy a target with such a weapon.

More: Air Force 'rods from god' kinetic weapon hit with nuclear weapon force - Business Insider
    Forum Rules // VIP Member // Find me on Facebook // Friend me on Discord @ RightfullyDead #4565

Senior Member V.I.P
    Overall activity: 99.5%

Thanks
    There are theorists that say the rod from God was used vs. China in their giant explosion accident.

Last edited by Big Dummy; 09-07-2017 at 10:55 PM.
    "The most effective way to destroy people is to deny and obliterate their own understanding of their history." George Orwelll

Forum IT Staff IT Staff
    Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Overall activity: 42.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dummy View Post
    There are theorists that say the rod from God was used vs. China in their giant explosion accident.

Conspiracy nuts you mean lol.

The cause of the explosions was not immediately known, but an investigation concluded in February 2016 that an overheated container of dry nitrocellulose was the cause of the initial explosion.
    Forum Rules // VIP Member // Find me on Facebook // Friend me on Discord @ RightfullyDead #4565

Alumni Member V.I.P
    Overall activity: 32.0%

Thanks
    A 'rod from God' might explain the big hole in China but the Chinese are quite adept at more prosaic foul-ups.

Thread Information