User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "Fight For $15" Campaign Out of Gas, for Obvious Reasons.

Overall activity: 51.0%

Thanks
    One day down town we were going into a shop & a guys stopped me wanted $15 or they would throw him out of his room. I didn't give it to him because I had just give every bill that I had to someone else needing help.

Fast forward a couple of months & the same guy with the same story caught me in a different part of town. They will work one area for a while & then move to a different area. I assume when they move back to the first area they change their stories.

Interesting video on U-tube about begging. It turns out that they generally make between 100 to 150 dollars a day (depending on the area) & some of them aren't even living on the street. They followed one girl that's story was her bf kicked her out. Turns out that she was living in a house & spent the mornings begging & the afternoon's shopping.
    But it comes down to Are there really people out there that need help, sure there are. I'm just not one of those people that's willing to give away $100 in the hopes that $5 of it goes to an actual needy person. This sucker has smartened up.

Games People Play V.I.P
    Overall activity: 78.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BobJam View Post
    A friend and I were coming out of a convenience store (back when I could walk), and I was approached by a panhandler. He asked me for a dollar. As I reached into my pocket for the dollar, my friend, A CONSERVATIVE also, said, "Wait a minute . . . all he's going to do is take your dollar and go into the store and buy a beer. Why don't you offer to buy him a sandwich?"

Hmmmmmm . . . that made sense to me.

So, I looked at the panhandler, and said, "Tell you what, I'll give you MORE than a dollar. I'll go into the store with you and buy you a meal"

The panhandler looked at me with a scowl, uttered a vulgarity, and went on to the next patron looking for that dollar to buy his beer.
    I was passing a panhandler in the Tenderloin, 1994. He had a sign:

WHY LIE?

I need a DRINK!

It's a commonplace meme, now; but back then I'd never heard that one, before.

I have him a buck, and told him to have fun.
    Last edited by JustPassinThru; 08-14-2017 at 01:18 PM.

Overall activity: 51.0%

Thanks
    I've probably told this story before but it applies.

My very first job was when I was a kid at a laundry. The owner of the business where my mother worked would hire workers kids during the summer to keep them busy & I guess teach them about work. Anyway I worked there on a truck picking up stuff & delivering stuff. I was paid 65 cents an hour. When I wasn't on the truck & mostly did nothing & got bored. So rather than sit around I got one of the ladies to teach me how to bag clothes. (Put plastic bags over them to protect them after they were cleaned). So every time one of the baggers took a break I would fill in plus I would catch up for them when they went to lunch. Well after a few weeks of me 'helping" one of the baggers was going to be gone for a few weeks & the other bagger suggested that I could fill in. They asked & I did. I wasn't as fast as they were but by working through my breaks & kept up. Oh & I got paid an adult wage which as I remember it was $1.85 per hour. As an added bonus, I made so much that my folks couldn't claim me on their taxes. (so maybe it was more than a couple of weeks).

So here's my question. What do those minimum wage workers that have been that have had the same job for 5 to 10 years do during their breaks? I'm betting that they don't help the fry cook. Just something to think about.

Thread Information