User Tag List

Page 28 of 47 FirstFirst ... 1821222324252627282930313233343538 ... LastLast

Thread: Atheists and prosyletization

Banned
    Overall activity: 20.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Oskar View Post
    Thank you.
    For proving how stupid the evangelical right-wing is?

Sure; anytime.
    Last edited by jet57; 08-12-2017 at 03:53 PM.

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P
    Overall activity: 51.0%

Oaxaca, Mexico, for almost twenty years. Born and raised in Memphis, TN, and worked in Colorado.
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    Why are evangelical Christians so intent on promoting THEIR world view?

Why does Coca-Cola insist on advertising?
    You know, Jet, the only other people who knock on my door to proselytize--and collect money--are leftists. COPIRG came to my door regularly when I lived in the states wanting donations to support Ralph Nader Nonsense. Their faith was at least equal to the Jehovah's Witnesses and Church of Christ devotees that came to my door. And, just as rational.

Both the right and the left have their evangelicals. I wonder if the Global Warming Hysterics realize the things they share with Seventh-Day Adventists cultists?
    Last edited by patrickt; 08-12-2017 at 04:37 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to patrickt For This Useful Post:

Quark (08-12-2017)

Boycott San Francisco
    Overall activity: 34.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
    Angels, demons, gods, unicorns, witches, devils, leprechauns, miracles, prayer...all magic. Your fear, Oskar, demands magical solutions. Magicians turn water into wine, Oskar. Magicians take two of something and magically turn it into more. Magicians raise the dead and heal the sick and injured by their touch. Witches and preachers are just conduits for the all-mighty and when they touch it's the divine power that does the healing and rehabilitation. The cripple jump up and down and people near death with cancer live on...forever. All magic, Oskar.

When you pray for help and a witch prays for help, what's the difference? When you have a holy book with magical powers are you a witch? If you believe angels lurk on earth and will intervene and help and help you, as some Christians do, is that significantly different than a witch believing that their creatures that connect them to their god lurk on earth and will help them?

And what do they all offer? Wealth, happiness, a good life and, most importantly, a defeat of death.

Oskar, there are facts and beliefs. Fact: every creature that has lived has died. That's the way it works.
    God is not magic.

Magic is of the devil.
    DISCLAIMER: I am not as ignorant as my posts would lead you to believe.

(Bill Clinton) never did grow to maturity, and (Hillary) is an ageless being, neither young nor old, an immortal spirit of evil. - Billy Jackson, The Brigade

"When you consider how many magnificent things can be done with a potato, you recognize the absolute sovereignty of God, and the depths of his wisdom." - Douglas Wilson

"It's a rotten wall, and a few kicks will bring it tumbling down." - Vladimir Lenin

Boycott San Francisco
    Overall activity: 34.0%

Thanks
    What did the god of the New Testament do besides condemn his son to torture and crucifixion? Jesus raised the dead, Jesus cured a leper, Jesus turned two fish into a feast. What did the god do in the New Testatment?
    Jesus is God.
    DISCLAIMER: I am not as ignorant as my posts would lead you to believe.

(Bill Clinton) never did grow to maturity, and (Hillary) is an ageless being, neither young nor old, an immortal spirit of evil. - Billy Jackson, The Brigade

"When you consider how many magnificent things can be done with a potato, you recognize the absolute sovereignty of God, and the depths of his wisdom." - Douglas Wilson

"It's a rotten wall, and a few kicks will bring it tumbling down." - Vladimir Lenin

Administrator V.I.P
    TPF Moderator
    Overall activity: 99.7%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Quark View Post
    In an earlier post you laid out some the terrible things the God of OT did so I'm not going to rehash that but anybody reading the OT could see just how terrible the God of the OT was.

In the NT Jesus is divinized into a God by Man. Jesus is the NEW God of the NT. If one studies the ancient history of that time period one knows that Romans did not like new religions but would tolerate to a degree old religions as long as those religions did not pose a threat to Roman especially Rome's tax collections and food and raw materials supply. The "new" Christian religion was tied but the Christian leaders to the old Jewish religion in the hopes that Rome would tolerate the "new" Christian religion as it was really an "old" religion or so they put forth.

Serious study of the Bible does lead one to see that there are two different Gods between the OT and the NT. It also helps me to understand that coming from a Catholic/Jewish back ground and family.
    oy vey.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Calypso Jones For This Useful Post:

Quark (08-12-2017)

Banned
    Overall activity: 20.0%

Thanks
    You know, Jet, the only other people who knock on my door to proselytize--and collect money--are leftists. COPIRG came to my door regularly when I lived in the states wanting donations to support Ralph Nader Nonsense. Their faith was at least equal to the Jehovah's Witnesses and Church of Christ devotees that came to my door. And, just as rational.

Both the right and the left have their evangelicals. I wonder if the Global Warming Hysterics realize the things they share with Seventh-Day Adventists cultists?
    That has nothing to do with my point. I get religious zealots that come to me door all the time; what's your point?

The religious right thinks it's their duty to proselytize because they think that God said to, so they set about trying to infiltrate your home, and thus your soul... and trying to infiltrate the US Constitution.

The only time someone from the left ever comes to my door is voting time.

Overall activity: 6.0%

Thanks
    Personally, I don't mind proselytization, as long as the proselytizer is polite and respectful.

The funny thing is that the godless left who always talks about "tolerance" are usually the least tolerant people of all...and often very hateful.

But even that doesn't bother me that much, because I know who wins in the end.
    "You may forget that you are at every moment totally dependent on God."
    C.S Lewis

Oaxaca, Mexico, for almost twenty years. Born and raised in Memphis, TN, and worked in Colorado.
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wildflower View Post
    Personally, I don't mind proselytization, as long as the proselytizer is polite and respectful.

The funny thing is that the godless left who always talks about "tolerance" are usually the least tolerant people of all...and often very hateful.

But even that doesn't bother me that much, because I know who wins in the end.
    I guess I'm lucky, then. I don't talk about my tolerance. But, I stand by anyone who fights for America. I just don't expect them to come and ring more doorbell uninvited to tell me about their religion.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    That has nothing to do with my point. I get religious zealots that come to me door all the time; what's your point?

The religious right thinks it's their duty to proselytize because they think that God said to, so they set about trying to infiltrate your home, and thus your soul... and trying to infiltrate the US Constitution.

The only time someone from the left ever comes to my door is voting time.
    Fortunately, I'm not responsible for your inability to get the point. You keep where you live a secret but I suppose if you live in a liberal enclave they wouldn't bother proselytizing with you. If they did, you'd realize there is not two cents worth of difference between a follower of Rev. Pat Robertson and Mr. Ralph Nader.

Overall activity: 6.0%

Thanks
    I guess I'm lucky, then. I don't talk about my tolerance. But, I stand by anyone who fights for America. I just don't expect them to come and ring more doorbell uninvited to tell me about their religion.
    I hear ya. TBH, I am tired of all the division and hate that is so prevalent these days. I too will stand by anyone who fights for the principles that our country is supposed to stand for. My view is that the powers-that-shouldn't-be have been purposely manipulating the public, creating division and pitting groups against each other... because when we're all fighting each other, we take our eyes off the real enemy.
    "You may forget that you are at every moment totally dependent on God."
    C.S Lewis

Thread Information