User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hunters?

V.I.P.
    V.I.P
    Overall activity: 88.0%

Thanks
    I grew up hunting with my dad and grandfather. But as the years went by and they passed on, I gave it up. I did it because of them and can't say I ever really enjoyed killing animals. But I did love my grandmothers recipes for wild game. Every Thanksgiving she would would have a large turkey at one end of the table, and a pile of dove on the other end. I don't remember how she cooked them, but the dove were killer!

The only thing I kill these days is pesky ground squirrels with a .22 in my wifes garden and running in and out of her chicken coop. But I am in hunting territory and most of my neighbors hunt. Just not my cup of tea anymore.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kodiak For This Useful Post:

Rickity Plumber (05-19-2017)

V.I.P. V.I.P
    Overall activity: 62.0%

Thanks
    LOL!

Growing up, my dad and his buddy took a local police officer out hunting, who HAD NEVER HUNTED before.

So, he is sitting up in a stand, just a few feet up off the ground (pretty low, for a typical stand), when he sees not one, but TWO bucks. He aims, and takes the larger one down with one shot, hops out of his stand, and WHISTLES, which makes the other buck stop from running away to instead turn and look at the Cop. Who then took HIM down with one shot.

Afterward, the Officer said it was fun and all, but, a "bit too easy....."

(NOTE: The officer WAS one hell of a shot, however. He won a lot of skeet shooting contests, and was ranked high among his fellow officers, on the range.)

Still, lucky, though.....
    Al Swearengen: What's your partner so mad about all the time?
    Sol Star: He's not mad.
    Al Swearengen: He's got a mean way of being happy.

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P
    Overall activity: 66.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    I grew up hunting with my dad and grandfather. But as the years went by and they passed on, I gave it up. I did it because of them and can't say I ever really enjoyed killing animals. But I did love my grandmothers recipes for wild game. Every Thanksgiving she would would have a large turkey at one end of the table, and a pile of dove on the other end. I don't remember how she cooked them, but the dove were killer!

The only thing I kill these days is pesky ground squirrels with a .22 in my wifes garden and running in and out of her chicken coop. But I am in hunting territory and most of my neighbors hunt. Just not my cup of tea anymore.
    I hear ya @Kodiak. Just not my cup o tea anymore either. I would like to bag a nice wild hog though. I hear that is some tasty meat.

After I easily shot the deer that I talked about in an earlier post, I just did not seem to have any more enthusiasm about shooting animals. Then I discovered bow hunting and never did shoot anything with the bow.

However, in my back yard I could shoot the shit out of hay bale targets all day long. In a real life hunting scenario, I couldn't hit squat with the bow.
    Last edited by Rickity Plumber; 05-19-2017 at 10:00 AM.
    Originally Posted by sooda
    "You are an internet expert, Rickety".

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rickity Plumber For This Useful Post:

Kodiak (05-19-2017)

RedheadAdmin V.I.P
    TPF Moderator
    Overall activity: 87.0%

Thanks
    There are a lot of hunters in the forum. Some ladies too.
    Thank you for helping us provide great customer service.

RedheadAdmin V.I.P
    TPF Moderator
    Overall activity: 87.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Swedgin View Post
    And for all those who cry over hunters taking wild game down, in MOST cases, they do so, in a FAR MORE humane way than the vast majority of meat proccessors do......
    High Lord Swedgin is right.
    Thank you for helping us provide great customer service.

Overall activity: 16.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by whaap View Post
    I was a hunter in my earlier years. After a short while my attitude began to change. I got no pleasure out of killing animals and figured if my family was ever hungry and couldn't afford groceries it would be o.k. to hunt. We've never been that broke that we couldn't eat. I also adhere to the argument that it's not a sport. It could be considered a sport when you give the animal a gun and teach them to shot back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swedgin View Post
    By the old definitions of "Sport," hunting, and fishing, are, most definitely "Sports...."

Not ATHLETIC Sports, but, sports, nonetheless.

But, I understand your point. I have had this debate with a friend, who feels that if nothing "athletic" is required, then, it is simply not a sport.
    Ok, I am going to address this. We want sport hunting. We absolutely do not want any form of subsistence hunting. Allow me to explain further so we have a clear grasp of the differences. Allow me to cite examples.

Black Rhino. Near extinction due to subsistence hunting. You have a desire for a horn, that has a high dollar value. This animal exists in a region where the general population is in many cases starving to death. Along comes some person who offers them more money than they could possibly hope to make in a decade. All they have to do is kill that rhino. They are even given the firearms to do that, and usually allowed to keep them.
    American Bison. I think it should be self explanatory.
    Black Bear Gall Bladders. Poached and illegally harvested for money. Another example of classic subsistence hunting.
    Ok, time to get controversial. North American Native Americans. They would literally hunt animal species to nothing in areas resulting in the Native American population declining and movement. This is why the Native tribes spent much of their existence at war. They would drive entire herds of Bisons off of bluff tops killing them all and allowing the majority of the kill to become carrion. Subsistence hunting

Sport hunting/Subsistence. Carrier Pigeon. Hunted to extinction. This one was a combination of unethical sport hunting and subsistence hunting.
    “Hotels are full, coopers are busy making barrels, and men, women, and children are active in packing the birds or filling the barrels. They are shipped to all places on the railroad, and to Milwaukee, Chicago, St. Louis, Cincinnati, Philadelphia, New York, and Boston.”
    Why the Passenger Pigeon Went Extinct | Audubon

Sport hunting. Waterfowl.
    For every dollar you spend on Federal Duck Stamps, ninety-eight cents goes directly to purchase vital habitat or acquire conservation easements for protection in the National Wildlife Refuge System. Since 1934, more than 5.7 million acres have been acquired using Federal Duck Stamp revenues. More than 300 national wildlife refuges were created or have been expanded (102.5KB) using Federal Duck Stamp dollars. At least one refuge in nearly every state has benefitted from Duck Stamp dollars.
    U.S. Fish Wildlife Service - Migratory Bird Program | Conserving America's Birds
    Overall duck numbers in the survey area are statistically similar to last year. Total populations were estimated at 48.4 million breeding ducks, which is 38 percent above the 1955-2015 long-term average. Last year's estimate was 49.5 million birds. The projected mallard fall flight index is 13.5 million birds, similar to the 2015 estimate of 13.8 million.
    Duck numbers increasing | Outdoors, Wildlife Hunting | thesouthern.com

I can cite examples of this with virtually any North American game animal in relation to sport hunting. On a time schedule here so if anyone wants to see this same type of example cited on a game species such as deer, turkey, doves or whatever game species I will be glad to at a later date.

So, what about the bullshit media inspired profile of the beer drinking lazy hunter shooting bambi from his truck at night or whatever it is. That is a violation of the law usually. Sport hunting is not devoid of ethics an morals. Many of which are legally enforced, but it is probably the most self policed sport there is. Those very few hunters who violate the law in egregious manners and lack ethics and morals are shunned by the hunting community and are not the norm at all. I assure you that the vast vast vast majority of us sport hunters are ethical and law abiding. Being ethical includes making every effort to retrieve your game and make use of it. In many states such as Illinois we have wanton waste laws that are very serious. Basically if you kill some ducks as example then just throw them in a ditch that is illegal. But, I assure you that behavior is not allowed and is looked down on. A person who does this is treated as a pariah and has no respect at all in hunting circles. If you think that does not matter, you will find out when you go ask permission to hunt and the land owner already has the word on you. Guess what you wont get legal access to that land.

What sport hunting does do is provide millions of dollars through federal programs like Pitman-Robertson act that benefit not just hunters. But provides trails and camp sights and public land, and yes, it greatly helps non game species as well. Such as songbirds, little frogs and stuff many of us never heard of.

That is my rant
    Thanks
    Coke the magnificent.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to coke For This Useful Post:

Swedgin (05-19-2017)

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P
    Overall activity: 66.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginger View Post
    There are a lot of hunters in the forum. Some ladies too.
    Because we are REAL people. Men and women.

We are not a bunch of crybaby snowflake trans-alt-left douche bags.

This hunting thing is carried through the generations because men provided for their women and families. Perhaps an extension of this. Todays male/metro/transgender/limp-wristed/ douches don't want to support anyone. They would rather someone or some form of government handouts support them.
    Originally Posted by sooda
    "You are an internet expert, Rickety".

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rickity Plumber For This Useful Post:

coke (05-19-2017)

V.I.P. V.I.P
    Overall activity: 62.0%

Thanks
    GREAT POST!!!!

Again, NOT a Hunter myself, but....every single hunter I know, not only follows the LAW, but, tends to go out of his or her way, to ensure and help these game animals not only survive, but thrive.

Ducks, Unlimited is a great example.

That said, I feel like the Native Americans, when it comes to a Kill: USE everything you can.

Most Hunters try to do this.

One thing, that is a good idea for any dog owners: Use any of the antlers you find, or, take off a kill, that are not big enough to be a "Trophy" as dog chew toys.

--They can be cut into any number of sizes.
    --NO WHERE NEAR as dangerous as "bones," because antlers are HAIR, and, if swallowed, they will "digest," much easier.
    --You will pay TOP dollar for cut and carved antlers at the pet store.

To say nothing of the MEATS from a kill. LEARN how to prepare and cook it!!!!!

--Ground Venison goes GREAT in Chillis. The "wild" taste will only add to the already extreme flavor of peppers, and chilli powder....
    --I don't know HOW it was made, but, my old man once got some "Venison Pastrami." He left it in the fridge, when he went out of town. He was pretty pissed off, when he returned and there wasn't any left! (I swear, that was some of the best Pastrami I have ever had!)
    --DUCK is great! (Many people complain it is "Greasy," but, I actually like it better than Turkey.
    --MOOSE: ROFLMAO, but DAMN, Moose is good. (No where near as "gamey" as Venison.)

All kinds of good dishes can be made with Wild Game. And, most of the meats are FAR better for you, as they don't have near the fat in them that beef does (Which it sorta what gives beef, and pork, their taste.)

Just be careful, with wild game, as it does tend to dry out fast, due to the lack of fat.....
    Al Swearengen: What's your partner so mad about all the time?
    Sol Star: He's not mad.
    Al Swearengen: He's got a mean way of being happy.

Thread Information