Thread: Cache of Colonial Artifacts Found By VDOT

Forum IT Staff IT Staff
    Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Overall activity: 90.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Cache of Colonial Artifacts Found By VDOT

Pretty cool. VDOT is expanding the highways around here because our traffic congestion is really bad. While they we're doing it they unearthed part of a colonial settlement and a huge cache of really well kept artifacts. Some quite interesting. Video is a short one (3 min) and made by VDOT.

Last edited by Matt; 05-18-2017 at 09:16 PM.
    Taking a few months off from the forum. Will be back eventually. See you then.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Matt For This Useful Post:

Garden House Queen (05-19-2017),MedicineBow (05-18-2017),Northern Rivers (05-19-2017),Old Ridge Runner (05-19-2017),Tom-Cruise (05-20-2017)

Overall activity: 9.0%

Thanks
    Interesting. I've driven that area many, many times. Nearly every town in Va. has some type of history associated with it.

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P
    Overall activity: 57.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineBow View Post
    Interesting. I've driven that area many, many times. Nearly every town in Va. has some type of history associated with it.
    Everywhere has a history of some sort. Some of it quite interesting, some of it as boring as it comes. I live in a very rural community that is nothing but hilly, clay farmland but it is built around the French Broad River, a river that if the TVA hadn't built several dams you could float down all the way to New Orleans by the French Broad, to the Tennessee to the Mississippi. This area and its logging history is what prompted Walt Disney to create the Mike Fink, King of the River TV series in the 50's. (its main claim to fame now is Popcorn Sutton and chicken fighting, but both of those go back almost to Colonial times as well)

It is also the area associated with the book "Cold Mountain", and was one of those places where it was truly brother against brother during the War Between the States. The area was really quite pro Union and fought the Rebels as much as they fought the Union troops who were stealing their crops and livestock
    Last edited by Dr. Felix Birdbiter; 05-18-2017 at 09:38 PM.
    "Small minds discuss people, average minds discuss events, superior minds discuss ideas"
    Eleanor Roosevelt

Forum IT Staff IT Staff
    Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Overall activity: 90.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineBow View Post
    I've been in traffic jams many, many, times there. Like today lol.

It makes sense though. The closest highway to I64/I264 is in fact NEWTOWN road lol.
    Taking a few months off from the forum. Will be back eventually. See you then.

Thread Information