User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Neighbor's Dog, Cindy

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P
    Overall activity: 86.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries

My Neighbor's Dog, Cindy

It took them four days, after waiting three days to ask our advice, for them to take their nine-year old Golden Retriever to the vet.

She'd been sick and weak and tired and just not feeling well.

She has cancer. The neighbor wouldn't tell us what, but the poor girl is dying.

And my neighbor is going to "treat her like family and be with her".

Instead of taking her back to the vet when it gets really bad and putting her to sleep with friends.

Bastard won't do the right thing, and I have to live next to the guy knowing that dog is suffering and there's nothing I can do for her.

The reality is the cheap bastard won't foot the $300 bill for euthanizing his friend.

She's always been nice to everyone but my huskies. Of course. She's a Golden Retriever.
    Freedom Takes "I Won't". - Eric Frank Russell

Trump has been President for 127 days and Ruth Bader Ginzberg hasn't had the decency to die. What's up with that?

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sled Dog For This Useful Post:

FirstGenCanadian (04-21-2017),Northern Rivers (04-20-2017),QuaseMarco (04-21-2017),Rutabaga (04-20-2017)

RedheadAdmin V.I.P
    TPF Moderator
    Overall activity: 29.0%

Thanks
    sad so sad
    Thank you for helping us provide great customer service.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ginger For This Useful Post:

QuaseMarco (04-21-2017),Tom-Cruise (04-21-2017)

Overall activity: 54.0%

Thanks
    Euthanizing, it's not about the money. I won't do it, will get meds to make sure they are comfortable and not in pain but they will die in my house with family. You have your way and I have mine. Just like we keep bodies of our love ones at home not some funeral parlor.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    It's hard on the dog.

When I put down the dog in my avatar, (here let's make it part of the thread)

saria_napping2.jpg

she was almost completely blind, and could no longer get her self up onto her feet. She had severe arthritis because the a-hole that had her for eight years broke her leg and didn't take her to the vet for treatment, so her right ulna was a full centimeter shorter than the left. (cost me $1200 to find that out..."why is my dog limping?")

I decided against springing the $5000 it would have cost for them to reset the bone to the correct length, because the dog would never understand.

That gimpy leg threw her gait off and the improper loading ruined her other major joints.

But she changed from a terrified bitey dog to a loving (if smelly) friend that would crawl in my lap (bugging my wife no end, wouldn't go to her) that loved to do what she could do. There's no such thing as a bad husky, the good one is inside waiting to come out.

But I wasn't going to let her go her last few weeks in pain. There was no question in my mind that it was time I did right by my friend.

It as all very sad, and she's in a box on the fireplace mantle now. (Horror of horrors, my wife wants to stuff this other dog we have, when he's gone...no way...that would be so creepy...)

I won't comment on your decision, you can't make it until the time comes and you have the facts in hand, but I know my neighbor, and his decision is based on stinginess.

Oh, and my dog did die with her family. We were there, petting her and comforting her.

(We've been to shelters where jerks have taken their 14 year old dogs to die because the cheap bastards didn't want to pay the boatman themselves. THOSE dogs died alone and terrified.)
    Last edited by Sled Dog; 04-20-2017 at 11:14 PM.

Trump has been President for 127 days and Ruth Bader Ginzberg hasn't had the decency to die. What's up with that?

Thanks
    I was raised on a farm and have killed many animals for food, even those pet chickens mom liked. If medicine couldn't help it's suffering I would kill it myself with no pain to my dog and I love my golden. I am very old fashion and the ones who loves him or her most should do it. I know you care about your animals but so do I, we just have different ways and raised different.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
    I was raised on a farm and have killed many animals for food, even those pet chickens mom liked. If medicine couldn't help it's suffering I would kill it myself with no pain to my dog and I love my golden. I am very old fashion and the ones who loves him or her most should do it. I know you care about your animals but so do I, we just have different ways and raised different.
    I'm in the middle of a city so shooting wouldn't be an option even if I wanted to, and there's nothing else I could do that wouldn't be more painful than what the vet did.

But at least you would act, finally and humanely, to end their misery. We're in agreement there. That's not what my neighbor is going to do.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sled Dog For This Useful Post:

roadmaster (04-20-2017)

Thanks
    It would be a sharp knife, no suffering. I know animals don't have souls according to the Bible but I would never allow one to suffer. I would rather it be me than someone she doesn't know.

Alumni Member V.I.P
    Overall activity: 24.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sled Dog View Post
    It took them four days, after waiting three days to ask our advice, for them to take their nine-year old Golden Retriever to the vet.

She'd been sick and weak and tired and just not feeling well.

She has cancer. The neighbor wouldn't tell us what, but the poor girl is dying.

And my neighbor is going to "treat her like family and be with her".

Instead of taking her back to the vet when it gets really bad and putting her to sleep with friends.

Bastard won't do the right thing, and I have to live next to the guy knowing that dog is suffering and there's nothing I can do for her.

The reality is the cheap bastard won't foot the $300 bill for euthanizing his friend.

She's always been nice to everyone but my huskies. Of course. She's a Golden Retriever.
    I have two GR's. Buddy's 11 and slowing down. I've thought about his next few years and what to do once he gets to the end of his road. Plenty of love...and a shot to get him snoring...then...one to end it. At home...in his sleeping spot. I'll do it...not the vet. He's my spirit animal...and, still "my puppy"...so, it's all up to me. He won't know what's going on...just petting...soothing words...and snoring. Me, on the other hand...won't take it too easily. He's my boy.
    If you don't practice...you'll sound like it. And, if you don't tune, your life will sound like it, too. Listen to the intervals. That's where it all hides from you.....

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I know what you mean. We only had that dog for three years, but it was painful. The three dogs we have now were all picked up when they were barely a year old.

It's going to be rough when their clocks run out.

Especially for this girl. I picked her out:

yuki_under_bench_2.jpg

She's mine.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sled Dog For This Useful Post:

roadmaster (04-21-2017)

Thanks
    When I joined here I had I think pretty sure 6 dogs still living, 4 were old the small breeds, I am down to one the golden and the Husky was younger and died of a seizer. I have been thinking about buying a puppy boy golden for one my daughters birthday coming up, the girl Husky was hers and she looked exactly like the picture you have of yours. We got her in I think 2013 a puppy and she died this year. The first time I have ever had a dog die that young. My golden is AKC and I drove over 100 miles to pick her up, she is around 11 or 12 years old. We didn't bred her and don't have any plans too.

Thread Information