User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Subway Shutters Hundreds of Stores

Overall activity: 25.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I prefer Firehouse subs as far as chains go. "Deli's are one thing I miss about downstate NY. I don't know if that is a contributing factor for a cholesterol score the envy of a pro bowler, but it was worth it. Diners are another missing item, Ihop and Denny's try, but fall short.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JMWinPR For This Useful Post:

Montana (04-23-2017)

Enemy Of The State
    Overall activity: 12.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JMWinPR View Post
    I prefer Firehouse subs as far as chains go. "Deli's are one thing I miss about downstate NY. I don't know if that is a contributing factor for a cholesterol score the envy of a pro bowler, but it was worth it. Diners are another missing item, Ihop and Denny's try, but fall short.
    Corporatism has forced out the "mom and pop" delis and diners.

It's to the point where you have to have lobbyists in DC to stay in business.
    "First they ignore you, then they mock you, then they fight you... then you win"

-Somebody

4. The Following User Says Thank You to hoytmonger For This Useful Post:

JMWinPR (04-23-2017)

Games People Play
    Overall activity: 59.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hoytmonger View Post
    Corporatism has forced out the "mom and pop" delis and diners.

It's to the point where you have to have lobbyists in DC to stay in business.
    No. Consumer choice forced their closings.

You have NO idea how horrid some of the roadside lunch counters were, prior to the emergence of McDonalds and other fast-food outlets.

Cleanliness was something most of the roadside-counter owners never considered.

And even for those who did...people were wary; it took TIME to stop at ten greasy-spoon joints to find one that was reasonably clean.

McDonalds initially...part of it was the assurance of standards. You knew the hamburgers were bland and, later, more expensive than lunch-counters; but you also had assurances that the franchise managers inspected and imposed cleanliness and wholesomeness standards.

Before McDonalds, there was Howard Johnson's. Again, took off for the same reasons...but, even before Ray Kroc got into the game, Howard Johnson's was suffering mission creep. They were becoming expensive; and of course it takes time to order lunch in a sit-down restaurant.

But that's why HoJo's grew...and then McDonalds. Had nothing to do with "corporatism."

Overall activity: 65.0%

Thanks
    McDonalds initially...part of it was the assurance of standards. You knew the hamburgers were bland

Old story but true: Many years ago we stopped at a McD's for a quick mean while on a shopping trip. It happened that it was the grand opening of that store & the manager was actually walking around asking people how they like the food. (Never seen that before or after). I have to say that the burger that I got was one of the best hamburgers that I had ever had & it was at a McDonalds! My guess is that it was better because it wasn't pre made & they took their time making it, so they did it right. So McD can make a great burger, they just don't most of the time.

I'll add another experience at McD's. We were heading to Mexico for a day of shopping. Stopped on the U.S. side of the border for something to get before crossing over. I got a egg mcmuffin. It was simply wonderful. So I got another to eat as we were leaving & took a bite out of it.......And broke the yoke of the undercooked egg. Here I'll say that I like overcooked food & consider even medium cooked food raw. I started gagging when that egg yoke broke. I threw it in the garbage & spit out what I had in the garbage. It left such a lasting impression on me that now, 40 years later I have never tried another even though I loved the first one. I guess the moral is that if you screw up one thing, the person that gets it may never forget.

Oh & stuff happens EVERYWHERE. I was once food poisoned in a military chow hall. I guess that I should have changed that I to we. There was about 250 of us. Before that happened I didn't know that my knees had hair follicles because I had never looked at them that close. What an experience!
    Last edited by Old Tex; 05-04-2017 at 06:36 AM.

Alumni & VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Overall activity: 13.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Didn"t I see recently that subway's chicken was 50% or more something other than chicken?

"When it suits the media they are myopic and when it doesn't, they can see through walls.
    Journalism is dead."
    QuaseMarco

Cunning Linguist V.I.P
    Overall activity: 93.0%

Thanks
    Wow, 1.3%, huh? That's a lot right?

Alex Jones is a RWNJ

I've never met an anti-Semite who thought they were anti-Semitic. Remember that the Nazis didn't see themselves as bad people.

Games People Play

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by QuaseMarco View Post
    Didn"t I see recently that subway's chicken was 50% or more something other than chicken?
    I don't believe that.

They buy their supplies on the open market. If SISCO or NIFTA or another restaurant-supply cooperative or wholesaler were selling dog meat as chicken...it would be discovered soon enough; and the company sued out of existence.

This is the kind of whisper-campaign done to hurt brands. Really...it's aimed at the conspiracy kooks and other low-information types.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JustPassinThru For This Useful Post:

Dr. Felix Birdbiter (05-04-2017)

Alumni & VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Overall activity: 13.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Would not be surprised to learn they are using a soy filler.

"When it suits the media they are myopic and when it doesn't, they can see through walls.
    Journalism is dead."
    QuaseMarco

Games People Play

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by QuaseMarco View Post
    Would not be surprised to learn they are using a soy filler.
    Many places are.

THAT is not earth-shattering nooze. Although...soy fillers are more likely in hamburger than in chicken...where you can see the texture of the meat.

Thread Information