User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Subway Shutters Hundreds of Stores

V.I.P. V.I.P
    Overall activity: 26.0%

Thanks

Subway Shutters Hundreds of Stores

For the first time in its 52 years of operation, Subway announced that it contracted in 2016, shuttering 359 US locations which as Bloomberg described was the "biggest retrenchment in the history of the restaurant chain" whose total store count dropped 1.3% from 27,103 in 2015 to 26,744 even as it remained the most ubiquitous fast-food eatery in the US, although McDonalds still tops if by sales.

“Sales for 2016 reflect our focus on international growth,” the Connecticut-based company said in a statement. “We are undertaking an exciting transformation that includes introducing new and improved products, creating an even greater customer experience, refining operations, and positioning Subway franchisees for continued success.”

Confirming that the domestic sales slowdown has continued into 2017, even as the Sub-par chain has been competing with dozens of newer, more exciting fast food eateries, U.S. same-store sales continued to slide during March, dropping 0.6% in the fourth straight month of decreases, according to MillerPulse data cited by Bloomberg.

More:
    http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-0...reds-us-stores

V.I.P. V.I.P
    Overall activity: 26.0%

Thanks
    I used to eat there a lot thinking it was a healthier fast food choice but stopped eating there in 2014 due to these stories about a chemical in the bread they use.
    http://foodbabe.com/subway/

Overall activity: 3.0%

Thanks
    My friend (in Fairfield, CA) now orders sandwiches from the deli section at Raley's because she feels the bread on the Subway sandwiches is too thick.

Overall activity: 76.0%

Thanks
    I don't get real excited about articles like the one on the link. I know that a lot of dangerous stuff is used in every day items. Sure it's a PR nightmare but that doesn't mean that it's dangerous. Sodium Warfarin is a main ingredient in a lot of rat poison. Yet in a smaller percentage it's used as a blood thinner that keeps a lot of people alive. If you use hand lotion there's a good change that one of the ingredients is also used to de-ice airplane runways. Phenol is a chemical agent that kills skin but is also used some eye drops. So a lot of those scare type articles are simply that, written to scare you (& to make the writer money).

If you really want to worry about something think about this. The banana has close to 50% of the same DNA as humans. That kind of explains democrats doesn't it?

As for subway, well I kind of like their sandwiches & they are the only sub place in town so.....I go there.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Old Tex For This Useful Post:

DeadEye (04-20-2017),JMWinPR (04-22-2017)

Alumni Member & VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Overall activity: 47.0%

Thanks
    I like sub sandwiches and subway for being able to see how my sub is made. I hope they don't change that. Still. I think they have gone to far in pricing. Which may account for the down trend in sales.
    "What you know you can't explain, but you feel it. You've felt it your entire life, that there's something wrong with the world. You don't know what it is, but it's there, like a splinter in your mind, driving you mad."

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeadEye For This Useful Post:

Northern Rivers (04-22-2017),Retiredat50 (04-21-2017)

V.I.P. V.I.P
    Overall activity: 46.0%

Thanks
    They probably over-expanded.

When companies like McDonalds, Subway and Dunkin Donuts have a store, every other block, that cuts down on the sales/profits of the individual stores.

Plus, in Subways case, there are FAR better sandwich shops. Don't get me wrong, I still like Subway, but, their sandwiches simply do not compare to Jersey Mikes, or Firehouse Subs....
    Al Swearengen: What's your partner so mad about all the time?
    Sol Star: He's not mad.
    Al Swearengen: He's got a mean way of being happy.

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P
    Overall activity: 32.0%

Thanks
    In the small town of Newport Tennessee (pop 6926) there are two Subway's. One stand alone and one inside of Walmart. There were three, one stand alone across from the Court House, it went broke, too many cheap lawyers.

Their food is as good as any fast food chain but I think none of them can make money because there are just too many of them.
    "Small minds discuss people, average minds discuss events, superior minds discuss ideas"
    Eleanor Roosevelt

Overall activity: 76.0%

Thanks
    My thought about subway is that they probably have a pretty good profit margin & they should be successful. But they have one big problem & that's how long it takes to make a sandwich. In the time it takes to make one sandwich there you could mostly cook 15 hamburgers. Because their "thing" is making subs exactly how you want them they can't pre-make them. I think that hurts them as far as volume goes. Heck I like their subs but I wouldn't stand in a long line to get one.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Old Tex For This Useful Post:

Karl (04-22-2017)

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P
    Overall activity: 23.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Tex View Post
    My thought about subway is that they probably have a pretty good profit margin & they should be successful. But they have one big problem & that's how long it takes to make a sandwich. In the time it takes to make one sandwich there you could mostly cook 15 hamburgers. Because their "thing" is making subs exactly how you want them they can't pre-make them. I think that hurts them as far as volume goes. Heck I like their subs but I wouldn't stand in a long line to get one.

Nah @Old Tex subways biggest problem is years ago they got way too STINGY with the meat..

If ya double the meat thats what subway used to be back in the day...

Thick ass bread , newspaper thin slices of meat, and a Salad on top...

Its basically like Taco Bell ....a teaspoon of meat and a half head of lettuce..

Why would I mess with them when there are good Ma n Pa delis and places like Portillos and Scooters who offer way better for about the Same Price or a dollar or two more but stack it FAT
    Last edited by Karl; 04-22-2017 at 02:01 PM.

Games People Play V.I.P
    Overall activity: 91.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Tex View Post
    Subway is the Salt Mine of fast-food franchises.

To make a reasonable living at it, an owner has to have at least (IIRC) five stores, according to one report I read fifteen years ago. The pay and margins on those are not great.

There's a lot not to like with those things. First the food: Despite all the claims of being "healthier" you're buying mostly bread. That's fine if you're young, healthy, active and slim. If you need to watch the carbs, that's a red flag.

Second, so much of that stuff lacks FLAVOR. ESPECIALLY the breakfast sandwiches. Those eggs might as well be made of plastic; and the bacon is Bland City.

Third...Subway, the parent company, does NOT enforce standards. I've been to Subways were the bathrooms were filthy - and some where they were closed. In violation of local law. Most places, if you sell food your public restrooms must be open...but in these places, they were always Closed For Cleaning - at all times.

If they're not going to enforce standards...I'll go to Hank's Hero Shop. Hank will have, probably, more flavorful sandwiches - and he can't be any dirtier than some of those un-monitored Subways. I'm paying for the brand, but the brand is meaningless. Better food off a roach coach; and the restrooms are the same - nonexistant.

So...I won't miss them. I liked a Midwestern chain, Mister Hero, better. Don't know if they're still around, but they made a great Philly Cheesestake hoagie.

Thread Information