User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Subway Shutters Hundreds of Stores

Overall activity: 20.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I prefer Firehouse subs as far as chains go. "Deli's are one thing I miss about downstate NY. I don't know if that is a contributing factor for a cholesterol score the envy of a pro bowler, but it was worth it. Diners are another missing item, Ihop and Denny's try, but fall short.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JMWinPR For This Useful Post:

Montana (04-23-2017)

Enemy Of The State
    Overall activity: 92.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JMWinPR View Post
    I prefer Firehouse subs as far as chains go. "Deli's are one thing I miss about downstate NY. I don't know if that is a contributing factor for a cholesterol score the envy of a pro bowler, but it was worth it. Diners are another missing item, Ihop and Denny's try, but fall short.
    Corporatism has forced out the "mom and pop" delis and diners.

It's to the point where you have to have lobbyists in DC to stay in business.
    "First they ignore you, then they mock you, then they fight you... then you win"

-Somebody

4. The Following User Says Thank You to hoytmonger For This Useful Post:

JMWinPR (04-23-2017)

Games People Play
    Overall activity: 99.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hoytmonger View Post
    Corporatism has forced out the "mom and pop" delis and diners.

It's to the point where you have to have lobbyists in DC to stay in business.
    No. Consumer choice forced their closings.

You have NO idea how horrid some of the roadside lunch counters were, prior to the emergence of McDonalds and other fast-food outlets.

Cleanliness was something most of the roadside-counter owners never considered.

And even for those who did...people were wary; it took TIME to stop at ten greasy-spoon joints to find one that was reasonably clean.

McDonalds initially...part of it was the assurance of standards. You knew the hamburgers were bland and, later, more expensive than lunch-counters; but you also had assurances that the franchise managers inspected and imposed cleanliness and wholesomeness standards.

Before McDonalds, there was Howard Johnson's. Again, took off for the same reasons...but, even before Ray Kroc got into the game, Howard Johnson's was suffering mission creep. They were becoming expensive; and of course it takes time to order lunch in a sit-down restaurant.

But that's why HoJo's grew...and then McDonalds. Had nothing to do with "corporatism."

Thread Information