User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Katy Perry’s Speech is a Call to Christians: How Can We Repair Our Reputation?

Alumni Member and VIP V.I.P
    Overall activity: 99.6%

Timey-Wimey Wibbly-Wobbly Blue Box Thingy
    Thanks

Katy Perry’s Speech is a Call to Christians: How Can We Repair Our Reputation?

Katy Perry’s Speech is a Call to Christians: How Can We Repair Our Reputation? | CBN.com

Perry, born Katy Hudson, grew up in a Christian fundamentalist household. Her father, Keith Hudson, was a Pentecostal-Evangelical preacher who didn’t believe in parsing words. In their home, “homosexuality was synonymous with the word abomination,” Perry said Saturday.

The singer-songwriter shared that despite her strict upbringing, her curiosity about “people outside my bubble” spilled into her musical pursuits.
    “I speak my truths and I paint my fantasies into these little bite-size pop songs. For instance, ‘I kissed a girl and I liked it.’ Truth be told, I did more than that,” Perry said, quoting her provocative 2008 hit, “I Kissed A Girl.”
    “How was I going to reconcile that with a gospel-singing girl raised in youth groups that were pro-conversion camps?” she continued. “What I did know is that I was curious and even then I knew sexuality wasn’t as black and white as this dress.”
    Perry shared that as a young woman she was “taught to fear” those who reject the biblical teaching on marriage. As an adult, she found this to be incompatible with the love she felt for these individuals.
    “These people were nothing like I had been taught to fear,” she said. “They were the most free, strong, kind and inclusive people I have ever met. They stimulated my mind, and they filled my heart with joy, and they danced with joy while doing it. These people are actually magic, and they are magic because they are living their truth.”
    Like so many adults today, Katy Perry is jaded by her religious upbringing, where she was taught to fear and even hate gay people. And while she correctly judged such sentiments to be wrong, she failed to see that she was rejecting a false representation of Christianity.

{An interesting if not misleading article.....}

Captain Cold: Make the plan, Execute the plan, Expect the plan to go off the rails, throw away the plan.
    Tommy Maitland:
    “Turn off your brain. We’re just here for funsies.”

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Knightkore For This Useful Post:

Jen (03-20-2017),Jim Scott (03-20-2017)

Alumni Member and VIP V.I.P
    Overall activity: 99.6%

Timey-Wimey Wibbly-Wobbly Blue Box Thingy
    Thanks

Katy Perry has listened to the other voices.....

Captain Cold: Make the plan, Execute the plan, Expect the plan to go off the rails, throw away the plan.
    Tommy Maitland:
    “Turn off your brain. We’re just here for funsies.”

Alumni Member & VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Overall activity: 19.0%

Thanks
    i wouldnt know her if she sat on my face...
    "The nose, knows"

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rutabaga For This Useful Post:

FirstGenCanadian (03-20-2017),Knightkore (03-20-2017)

Diplomatic Asshole, VIP V.I.P
    Overall activity: 22.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rutabaga View Post
    i wouldnt know her if she sat on my face...
    I bet you would be able to guess her weight, though...
    When you open your heart to patriotism, there's no room for racism. ~Donald J. Trump
    Rule # 3 - Never believe what you're told, double check.

I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. ~D. H. Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by sooda View Post
    Nobody is forcing you to have an abortion.. Just take control of your wife, daughters, sisters etc.. Control THEIR lives if it suits you to do that.
    ~The right honorable Christian Grandmother.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FirstGenCanadian For This Useful Post:

Knightkore (03-20-2017),Rutabaga (03-20-2017)

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P
    Overall activity: 99.7%

Thanks
    What you feel or think doesn't matter. The Bible is very clear on sodomites. He calls them filthy, brute beast, like a dog that will eat their own vomit and Romans 1 is crystal clear on how they become this. A lot of times in the OT things are not as clear as the NT until you compare scripture with scripture and then it all comes together. He said certain things for those back then and they didn't need to know all. But the message on sodomites is the same in the OT and NT. He didn't change a thing.

So to say the Bible isn't clear or she has doubts, it's a person who doesn't believe or never read the Bible.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to roadmaster For This Useful Post:

Knightkore (03-20-2017)

V.I.P. V.I.P
    Overall activity: 17.0%

Thanks
    I don't know any who says how they are living will send them to hell.

Even Hitler rationalized his beliefs as being in line with God.

It's not about aligning God with us, it's the other way round.
    Last edited by Dos Equis; 03-20-2017 at 04:47 PM.
    1 Samuel 8:18 "And they shall cry out in that day because of your king which you have chosen, and the Lord will not hear you in that day."

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Dos Equis For This Useful Post:

Knightkore (03-20-2017)

V.I.P. V.I.P
    Overall activity: 30.0%

Thanks
    The tired old cliche of the young person (male or female) raised by Christian parents who respected God's Word but their child (in this instance, pop singer Katy Perry) was 'curious' and 'explored' the kind of behaviors condemned by the bible and found those practicing homosexual behavior positively wonderful, blah, blah, blah. How unoriginal.

The condemnation of homosexual behavior in the New Testament is hardly 'hate'. It is simply a warning that this kind of perversion of human sexuality displeases the Creator and is a sin, as are gluttony, jealousy and gossiping, just to name a few. The anti-Christian folks always term any rejection of their favorite perversions as 'hate', now a word so over-used as to render it meaningless.

My position has always been that God's Word is available to all and an adult individual is free to accept it and follow it's instructions, which are mostly benign, ('love your neighbor') or ignore and reject it if they please. No one is forced to accept the bible as God's Word, that is a choice. Billions do reject it - some for for atheism and, for the most part, other faiths. Free will. One comes freely to God (through Christ) or not at all. There can be no compulsion.

Yes, devout Christian parents have an obligation to raise their child or children to respect God's Word but children grow up and many times they chose to reject parental religious beliefs. Katy Perry's story is all too common. The world and it's pleasures are often too attractive to resist and, sadly, many Christians end up 'wandering from the faith'. Then they justify it as being suffocated by their parent's bible-based upbringing and breaking out in absolute joy at finding that what the bible calls sin is actually not so awful at all. They believe they are expressing their freedom but are really just exchanging freedom (through Christ) for slavery to whatever controls them, be it lust (heterosexual or homosexual), desire for fame, public approval, money (never enough) or some other addiction, including drugs. Their choice to make.

In the words of the prophet Jeremiah (Joshua 24: 15 ) '...but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.'

Katy Perry chooses to do otherwise. So be it.

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Scott; 03-20-2017 at 04:50 PM.
    Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views.” - William F. Buckley, Jr.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jim Scott For This Useful Post:

Deno (03-20-2017),HawkTheSlayer (03-20-2017),Knightkore (03-20-2017)

V.I.P. V.I.P
    Overall activity: 17.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Scott View Post
    The tired old cliche of the young person (male or female) raised by Christian parents who respected God's Word but their child (in this instance, pop singer Katy Perry) was 'curious' and 'explored' the kind of behaviors condemned by the bible and found those practicing homosexual behavior positively wonderful, blah, blah, blah. How unoriginal.

The condemnation of homosexual behavior in the New Testament is hardly 'hate'. It is simply a warning that this kind of perversion of human sexuality displeases the Creator and is a sin, as are gluttony, jealousy and gossiping, just to name a few. The anti-Christian folks always term any rejection of their favorite perversions as 'hate', now a word so over-used as to render it meaningless.

My position has always been that God's Word is available to all and an adult individual is free to accept it and follow it's instructions, which are mostly benign, ('love your neighbor') or ignore and reject it if they please. No one is forced to accept the bible as God's Word, that is a choice. Billions do reject it - some for for atheism and, for the most part, other faiths. Free will. One comes freely to God (through Christ) or not at all. There can be no compulsion.

Yes, devout Christian parents have an obligation to raise their child or children to respect God's Word but children grow up and many times they chose to reject parental religious beliefs. Katy Perry's story is all too common. The world and it's pleasures are often too attractive to resist and, sadly, many Christians end up 'wandering from the faith'. Then they justify it as being suffocated by their parent's bible-based upbringing and breaking out in absolute joy at finding that what the bible calls sin is actually not so awful at all. They believe they are expressing their freedom but are really just exchanging freedom (through Christ) for slavery to whatever controls them, be it lust (heterosexual or homosexual), desire for fame, public approval, money (never enough) or some other addiction, including drugs. Their choice to make.

In the words of the prophet Jeremiah (Joshua 24: 15 ) '...but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.'

Katy Perry chooses to do otherwise. So be it.

Jim
    It's the feel good theology. If it feels good then God must be behind it. If it feels bad then it must not be of God.
    1 Samuel 8:18 "And they shall cry out in that day because of your king which you have chosen, and the Lord will not hear you in that day."

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Dos Equis For This Useful Post:

Knightkore (03-20-2017)

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P
    Overall activity: 99.7%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos Equis View Post
    I don't know any who says how they are living will send them to hell.

Even Hitler rationalized his beliefs as being in line with God.

It's not about aligning God with us, it's the other way round.
    Just having faith in Christ Jesus and what He did is all you need to be saved. Works are great but that is not what gets you saved. That goes back to the mixing wool with another fiber. It's clear what He is saying but some think it has to do with clothes. Hitler rejected Christ. It's like Jesus said even the worst sinners think they are good people.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to roadmaster For This Useful Post:

Jim Scott (03-20-2017),Knightkore (03-20-2017)

V.I.P. Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Overall activity: 40.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
    Just having faith in Christ Jesus and what He did is all you need to be saved. Works are great but that is not what gets you saved. That goes back to the mixing wool with another fiber. It's clear what He is saying but some think it has to do with clothes. Hitler rejected Christ. It's like Jesus said even the worst sinners think they are good people.
    James 2:14-26New King James Version (NKJV)

Faith Without Works Is Dead

14 What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,” but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does itprofit? 17 Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.
    18 But someone will say, “You have faith, and I have works.” Show me your faith without your[a] works, and I will show you my faith by my[b] works. 19 You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe—and tremble! 20 But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is dead?[c] 21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered Isaac his son on the altar? 22 Do you see that faith was working together with his works, and by works faith was made perfect? 23 And the Scripture was fulfilled which says, “Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.”[d] And he was called the friend of God. 24 You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only.
    25 Likewise, was not Rahab the harlot also justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out another way?
    26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to East of the Beast For This Useful Post:

Knightkore (03-20-2017)

Thread Information