User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: man unfairly convicted of vehicular homicide and sentenced to 60 years

V.I.P. V.I.P Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 25.0%

Thanks
    This guy gets no sympathy from me....I have no tolerance for impaired drivers that injure or kill others.

Banned Forum Donor Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassCreated Blog entryOverdriveSocial1 year registered
    Overall activity: 0%

Thanks
    I agree with the OP. While I find drunk driving reprehensible and repugnant, I want the punishment to reflect the crime and be on par with others convicted of the same thing. I'm tired of our judicial system being used for politicians to earn brownie points with the voters.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Puzzling Evidence For This Useful Post:

Mainecoons (03-06-2017)

50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassCreated Blog entryOverdriveSocial1 year registered

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineBow View Post
    This guy gets no sympathy from me....I have no tolerance for impaired drivers that injure or kill others.
    It is not a case of people thinking that this man did nothing wrong, I don't want to live on a country where we have public executions and life imprisonment for political dissidents.

Land of the free, say this to yourself over and over.

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation Second ClassTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 72.0%

Oaxaca, Mexico, for over twenty years. Born and raised in Memphis, TN, and worked in Colorado.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Puzzling Evidence View Post
    It is not a case of people thinking that this man did nothing wrong, I don't want to live on a country where we have public executions and life imprisonment for political dissidents.

Land of the free, say this to yourself over and over.
    If you read the OP and the subsequent emotional comments the argument is being made that he is innocent, he wasn't drunk, he was framed by a conspiracy of at least two people, and that the two dead women are responsible for their own deaths.

As for the sentence, I have no idea why he got that sentence and neither do you. We had a man who broke into a pop machine while drunk. He got convicted of burglary and given probation with a stipulation he get alcohol counseling. He never met a probation officer, never got counselling but six months later he did race around down running over small trees, signposts, mailboxes, and a nun on a bicycle who was killed. He got a hefty sentence for vehicular homicide. Some of us felt the charge should have been murder.

In this case we know nothing except the appeal record which doesn't mention his background and the plea from the emotional friend of his.

I'm am in favor of mandatory minimum sentences but if there is a mandatory maximum it should be high. And I don't consider the fact, and it is a fact, that some beat the rap like Sen. Ted Kennedy and Mr. O.J. Simpson to mean that everyone should get off.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
    If you read the OP and the subsequent emotional comments the argument is being made that he is innocent, he wasn't drunk, he was framed by a conspiracy of at least two people, and that the two dead women are responsible for their own deaths.

As for the sentence, I have no idea why he got that sentence and neither do you. We had a man who broke into a pop machine while drunk. He got convicted of burglary and given probation with a stipulation he get alcohol counseling. He never met a probation officer, never got counselling but six months later he did race around down running over small trees, signposts, mailboxes, and a nun on a bicycle who was killed. He got a hefty sentence for vehicular homicide. Some of us felt the charge should have been murder.

In this case we know nothing except the appeal record which doesn't mention his background and the plea from the emotional friend of his.

I'm am in favor of mandatory minimum sentences but if there is a mandatory maximum it should be high. And I don't consider the fact, and it is a fact, that some beat the rap like Sen. Ted Kennedy and Mr. O.J. Simpson to mean that everyone should get off.
    That's one of the problems for mandatory sentences; they encourage a "not guilty" verdict by jurors who do not want to put someone away for life.

My friend, you will never win any "fight" against drugs or alcohol. If you could, it would have been achieved already.

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation Second ClassTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 72.0%

Oaxaca, Mexico, for over twenty years. Born and raised in Memphis, TN, and worked in Colorado.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Puzzling Evidence View Post
    That's one of the problems for mandatory sentences; they encourage a "not guilty" verdict by jurors who do not want to put someone away for life.

My friend, you will never win any "fight" against drugs or alcohol. If you could, it would have been achieved already.
    We live in a society of liberals now who cannot tolerate anyone having discretion. Hence, mandatory sentencing.

I know the fight against alcohol and drugs will be ongoing as will the fight against murder, rape, assault, arson, pedophiles, and littering. I can understand why you would choose to surrender. Works for the French.

The people who lose in the fight are the victims.

Thread Information