Members banned from this thread: Dan40

Page 1 of 19 1234567811 ... LastLast

Thread: Colorado could ditch Obamacare for a single-payer system

V.I.P. V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class1 year registered
    Overall activity: 0%

Thanks

Colorado could ditch Obamacare for a single-payer system

The long-term uncertainty surrounding Obamacare has the trailblazing state of Colorado to propose ditching Obamacare altogether and instead implementing a statewide single-payer healthcare plan.

This November, residents of Colorado will vote on Amendment 69, also known as ColoradoCare, which, if approved, would set up a single-payer healthcare system within the state. Under single-payer plans, there are no copays or deductibles, and coverage is universal. It's similar to Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders' Medicare-for-All proposal.

There are obvious advantages to a single-payer system, and we don't have to look any further than our neighbors in Canada to see that single-payer can be quite successful. Within the U.S., the biggest advantage of single-payer is that it would dissociate healthcare from the workplace. Some workers get stuck in a job they dislike because they don't want to go without health insurance. Universal healthcare allows people to leave their jobs without the fear that they'd lose their insurance coverage.

Presumably, a single-payer plan could also result in long-term savings for the residents of Colorado. Think about it this way: When a big corporation with 10,000 employees seeks out health coverage, it can often garner premium discounts for bringing the insurer such a large new pool of patients. Now magnify this 10,000 figure more than 500 times to Colorado's population of approximately 5.5 million. With the Coloradan government fighting for its residents, and a patient pool of 5.5 million people at stake, it seems likely that insurers would be willing to make a deal with Colorado, possibly reducing the final cost of single-payer healthcare.

Single-payer could have problems, too

While Colorado's single-payer plan -- if approved -- could work wonderfully, there are also concerns.
    Front-and-center is the expected cost to implement the program. The federal government has pledged $13 billion in funding, but that would still leave Colorado's residents to come up with the extra $25 billion needed to pay for a single-payer system.

According to opponents of ColoradoCare, this would result in a 10% payroll tax that would be paid for by employers and employees. Employers would be on the hook for a 6.67% tax per employee, regardless of whether they were full-time, part-time, or seasonal, and workers would be required to contribute 3.33% (making a total of 10%). Persons receiving non-payroll income -- such as rental income, Social Security income, pensions, dividends, capital gains, and so on -- would owe the full 10%. The state's income tax rate would also rise from 4.63% to 7.96%. Added taxes could be especially harmful to low-wage and middle-class workers who might already be struggling to make ends meet. Small businesses could also struggle under the weight of the newly proposed taxes.

Another concern is what might happen to Colorado's physician network. Having millions of people suddenly insured could overwhelm Colorado's healthcare networks and lead to mile-long waits to see a doctor. Healthcare providers would also be required to enter into contracts with the state and accept reimbursement that's "competitive with other states." This vague terminology could cause doctors to leave the state.

Nov. 8 is the day to watch

Election Day is Nov. 8, so in a matter of roughly four months we'll have an answer as to whether or not Colorado's residents want single-payer healthcare, or if they believe it's too costly for them or for their state.

The results of the vote could certainly hold weight, because success in Colorado could lead the dozen other states tinkering with the idea of altering how Obamacare is administered to make the transition to single-payer. Conversely, a trouncing of ColoradoCare in November could crush any near-term hope that single-payer will get off the ground. I, for one, am eager to see the outcome of this vote, and as investors -- and healthcare consumers -- you should be, too.

More:
    http://www.fool.com/investing/2016/0...o-2&yptr=yahoo
    Last edited by Slayer98_l; 07-04-2016 at 08:10 AM.

50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranSocial
    Overall activity: 19.0%

Thanks
    Colorado used to be a fairly conservative state. I live there in the 80's. But these liberals moved in after ruining another once conservative, vibrant, state and turned it into their neighbor, Commiefornia.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to memesofine For This Useful Post:

Conservative Libertarian (07-04-2016),Montana (07-04-2016)

50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First Class

Thanks
    Making America Like Mexico--The Democrat Party IS the American PRI

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mainecoons For This Useful Post:

Conservative Libertarian (07-04-2016),Jim Rockford (07-04-2016),memesofine (07-04-2016)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoons View Post
    and neither do their base of voters. that's why we are in the mess we are in now.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to memesofine For This Useful Post:

Conservative Libertarian (07-04-2016),Montana (07-04-2016)

50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First Class

Thanks
    Their "base of voters" seems to be the majority of dumbed down America these days, sorry to report.

Nothing to celebrate today. The Founders are rolling over in their graves.
    Making America Like Mexico--The Democrat Party IS the American PRI

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mainecoons For This Useful Post:

Conservative Libertarian (07-04-2016),Quark (07-04-2016)

Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialTagger First ClassCreated Blog entryVeteran
    Overall activity: 24.0%

Thanks
    Well that ought to bankrupt the Peoples Republic of Colorado. I hope they are selling a lot of pot to pay for it.

Liberalism at it's best, inherently stupid, mentally ill, and emotional driven.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Quark For This Useful Post:

Conservative Libertarian (07-04-2016),JustPassinThru (07-04-2016),memesofine (07-04-2016)

Thanks
    Their "base of voters" seems to be the majority of dumbed down America these days, sorry to report.

Nothing to celebrate today. The Founders are rolling over in their graves.
    Yes, sadly I have to agree

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered

Thanks
    Maybe I'm slow, but why does single payer work in every other industrialized nation on the planet? Wouldn't it make more sense to give US citizens something for their money other than TRILLIONS of dollars in debt due to our military attacking the planet for, Jesus and apple pie?

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Talon For This Useful Post:

justapirate (07-05-2016),Robert Urbanek (07-05-2016)

50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 3.0%

Thanks
    party pooper. Everyone knows you CAN get something for nothing.
    Just make those nasty doctors slaves. Make em work for nothing. Make the hospitals give their care away.
    Nobody but insurers and bureaucrats should profit from healthcare. Fuck the people that sacrificed large parts of their lives and hundreds of thousands of dollars to be able to deliver the actual care.
    Fuck the people that actually stay up all night saving your life.

They don't matter. The people want something for nothing and they should get it !!

Damn it, the people need their money to pay for Cav's tickets, hollywood movies and iPads.
    If an asset that the government can get for nothing capital is essential to producing assets that command prices consumption goods then you would be wise to search for a sleight-of-hand operation.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to squidward For This Useful Post:

Conservative Libertarian (07-04-2016),memesofine (07-04-2016)

Alumni & VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 71.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Talon View Post
    Maybe I'm slow, but why does single payer work in every other industrialized nation on the planet? Wouldn't it make more sense to give US citizens something for their money other than TRILLIONS of dollars in debt due to our military attacking the planet for, Jesus and apple pie?
    Oh look.........another member of the Hate America First crowd.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Kodiak For This Useful Post:

memesofine (07-04-2016)

Thread Information