User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: USA’s chronic trade deficits

Games People Play Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteranCreated Blog entryTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 94.0%

Thanks
    What would the Free-Traders do about it?

How about, SUSPENSION OF CORPORATE TAXATION AND CAPITAL-GAINS TAXES.

You'd have the industries of the world, beating down our doors to come here. It is possible, and would be common, for foreign businesses to set up subsidiaries here and with advantageous tax rates, make their American headquarters into their world headquarters.

Money is fungible..meaning it flows, like water. Paper-pushing and direction can happen from anywhere. Assembly is cheapest when closest to the markets intended for the product - which is why there are Nissan, Honda and Toyota plants in the States.

Already the tariff wars have taken one casualty - Harley-Davidson motorcycles now face a 25-percent tariff in the EC. That in response to steel tariffs. And that is why H-D is expanding to India - better to sell Europeans their products made in India, than to not sell them at all. Which is what happens when the price of those expensive machines is inflated by 25 percent.

V.I.P V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredSocial
    Overall activity: 28.0%

Thanks
    Old Tex, when did you visit Europe and what cities did you visit?
    Trade deficits are due to the nation purchasing more products than the nation produces.

Good read Supposn! I didn't visit Europe but instead lived there for 8 years in 2 different countries. As for visit, well I drove all over while there. I got married in a town called Zeist in Holland (to another American). As to our trade problems I'll add that we started pushing out manufacturing over seas a long time ago. And not being able to bring those profits back without a higher tax rate meant that companies build up that money over there & it made it even easier & better to continue building plants there because they could use money already there. But back to pushing our manufacturing over seas. The US tends to export cheap stuff like food & import more expensive stuff. Basically a cheap alarm clock held in your hand will make you more profit than the same amount of farm produce. We are still the bread basket for the world (kind of) because we can produce so much food BUT food isn't really where the big bucks are. We started cutting our own throats when the labor unions started gaining control of manufacturing.
    Last edited by Old Tex; 04-24-2019 at 02:54 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Old Tex For This Useful Post:

East of the Beast (04-27-2019)

Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 4.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
    The Constitution sets LIMITS on government power and authority.

And controlling private agreements, one of which is wages (one form of pricing a good or service) is not within those limits.

We see the mess when a strong government steps over limits set. We are seeing it here. We see it in history and in other nations.

We could learn from those situations; or we could double-down on stupid and wind up with the worst of Venezuela, Cuba and the USSR.

Which would you like?
    Quote Originally Posted by Supposn View Post
    JustPassinThru, the federal minimum wage has been upheld by the U.S. Supreme Court.
    Respectfully, Supposn

Member Achievements:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Tex View Post
    Old Tex, when did you visit Europe and what cities did you visit?
    Trade deficits are due to the nation purchasing more products than the nation produces.

Good read Supposn! I didn't visit Europe but instead lived there for 8 years in 2 different countries. As for visit, well I drove all over while there. I got married in a town called Zeist in Holland (to another American). As to our trade problems I'll add that we started pushing out manufacturing over seas a long time ago. And not being able to bring those profits back without a higher tax rate meant that companies build up that money over then & it made it even easier & better to continue building plants there because they could use money already there. But back to pushing our manufacturing over seas. The US tends to export cheap stuff like food & import more expensive stuff. Basically a cheap alarm clock held in your hand will make you more profit than the same amount of farm produce. We are still the bread basket for the world (kind of) because we can produce so much food BUT food isn't really where the big bucks are. We started cutting our own throats when the labor unions started gaining control of manufacturing.

Old Tex, I'm among the proponents of the improved trade policy described with Wikipedia's "Import Certificates" article. I believe that's superior to pure free trade, tariffs, or any other global trade policy I've ever encountered. Other than Wikipedia, consider my post #5 of this thread.

The Import certificate policy is substantially market driven. If increased USA manufacturing, or chemicals, or agriculture is the best way to go, then that's what will be the consequences of this policy. All of the costs due to the policy are passed on to USA purchasers of imported goods. Increases prices to purchases of goods entering the USA serve as an indirect but effective price subsidy to USA's exported goods. Refer to Wikipedia's "Import Certificates" article.

Respectfully, Supposn

V.I.P
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteranCreated Blog entryTagger First Class

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Supposn View Post
    Respectfully, Supposn
    So. You want stupid squared? You want to turn the whole goddamn economy over to the Deep State?

This is how. This is also how you wind up with empty shelves and endless lines and shortages.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JustPassinThru For This Useful Post:

Member Achievements:

Thanks
    So. You want stupid squared? You want to turn the whole goddamn economy over to the Deep State?
    This is how. This is also how you wind up with empty shelves and endless lines and shortages.
    JustPassinThru, please explain. Respectfully, Supposn

V.I.P
    Achievements:

Thanks
    The Minimum Wage is a bad idea - unconstitutional, anti-freedom, interfering with private contracts.

It ALSO abolishes available jobs. Not all work is worth, say $15 an hour. When a tyrannical government steps in and says you must pay it...you don't hire someone. You do it yourself, or don't do that work, or find a way for machinery to do it.

These are not only obvious results, but have been documented. The latest is the rapid trend in mechanization in fast-food and coffee shops.

So you want to INCREASE this destructive involvement by giving government the power to set your wage. All our wages.

And then you couldn't figure out my response.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JustPassinThru For This Useful Post:

Member Achievements:

Thanks
    The Minimum Wage is a bad idea - unconstitutional, anti-freedom, interfering with private contracts.

It ALSO abolishes available jobs. Not all work is worth, say $15 an hour. When a tyrannical government steps in and says you must pay it...you don't hire someone. You do it yourself, or don't do that work, or find a way for machinery to do it.

These are not only obvious results, but have been documented. The latest is the rapid trend in mechanization in fast-food and coffee shops.

So you want to INCREASE this destructive involvement by giving government the power to set your wage. All our wages.

And then you couldn't figure out my response.
    JustPassinThru, my response is #9 within the thread,
    thepoliticsforums.com/threads/126501-Minimum-wage-a-character-issue?p=2150643#post2150643 .
    Respectfully, Supposn
    Last edited by Supposn; 05-20-2019 at 05:12 PM.

V.I.P
    Achievements:

Thanks
    That USED to be the idea of American Exceptionalism.

What the European Statists did, we did not do. And that is why we became the most-prosperous civilization ever.

And why the European Marxist malcontents, taught American elite scions, to be self-loathing, back in the 1960s - and now, as elderly professors, they teach YOU.

I reject that. I don't give a flaming rat's rearend WHAT other nations do. Other nations have committed atrocities, war crimes, senseless wars...have starved their own people; have made children into royals and then executed them.

Not interested.

Thread Information