User Tag List

Members banned from this thread: Network

Page 178 of 180 FirstFirst ... 78128168171172173174175176177178179180 LastLast
Results 1,771 to 1,780 of 1795

Thread: The Severe Weather Thread!

Alumni Member and VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdriveTagger First ClassCreated Blog entryVeteran
    Overall activity: 99.5%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    WE'RE UPPING OUR GAME THIS YEAR

I've invested in professional grade weather software. So, this year, we're going to track some serious weather. I can do images and even my video forecasts just like the guys on TV do (well, kinda, if I get a green screen). Seeing how this is just for fun we're just going to do images. Maybe some videos (but not starring me...silent ones!).

PS - Here's the new system up and running. Texas...you got some serious storms happening!

Gunna give Levi Cowan a run for his money.
    Today we live. Tomorrow we die.
    "Evil is da Devil minus da D"

Senior Member Forum Donor Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points3 months registeredTagger First ClassSocial
    Overall activity: 1.0%

Thanks
    Speaking of severe weather....

Stole this from SOTT, it's a raincloud in Montana or so they captioned it.
    " It takes very little to govern good people. Very little. And bad people cant be governed at all. "
    ― Cormac McCarthy “No Country for Old Men” (2005)

"The two most important days of your life are the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
    -Mark Twain.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ed D For This Useful Post:

sargentodiaz (10-03-2018)

Administrator V.I.P
    TPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Blog entry
    Overall activity: 99.8%

Thanks
    Out of power. Freezing rain and iced trees. Probably a line down.
    Sarah Sanders doesn't often mop the White House Press Corp Floor...but when she does, she uses Jim Acosta.

There is no American free press. They're bought and paid for.

“Muslim brotherhood & planet of the apes had a baby=vj.”

The Devil whispered in Trumps ear and said,
    "you're not strong enough to withstand the storm".
    President Trump whispered back,"I am The Storm"!

Games People Play Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteranCreated Blog entryTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 70.0%

Thanks
    Yup.

Here in Montucky...winter came fast, furious and six-weeks early.

Back home in Ohoho...Winter Storm Warning for Greater Cleveland. They usually get the first snow on the ground the week of Thanksgiving - snow has come earlier, but not heavy snow.

Administrator V.I.P
    TPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Blog entry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Calypso Jones View Post
    Out of power. Freezing rain and iced trees. Probably a line down.
    I think it was about 515 yesterday that the power went out. IT iS STILL OUT. I have had to move to my wifi in order to get online. We are warm, we have a generator. MY refrigerators and freezers are working. I can play radio, lights, some tv, computer but my DNS has gone out for some reason. We can live but I can't cook. We shut those off so that all the power could go to the other stuff. Every last big tree has had ice damage. I sit at edge of woods but I have large trees at the front of my property. NOthing close to house except small trees and 1 large maple to the west northwest of house. I'm sorta glad we had those trees removed. We're burning them in the fireplace.

WHEN ARE THEY GONNA GET THE POWER BACK ON?!
    Last edited by Calypso Jones; 11-16-2018 at 12:53 PM.
    Sarah Sanders doesn't often mop the White House Press Corp Floor...but when she does, she uses Jim Acosta.

Games People Play Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteranCreated Blog entryTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 70.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Calypso Jones View Post
    I think it was about 515 yesterday that the power went out. IT iS STILL OUT. I have had to move to my wifi in order to get online. We are warm, we have a generator. MY refrigerators and freezers are working. I can play radio, lights, some tv, computer but my DNS has gone out for some reason. We can live but I can't cook. We shut those off so that all the power could go to the other stuff. Every last big tree has had ice damage. I sit at edge of woods but I have large trees at the front of my property. NOthing close to house except small trees and 1 large maple to the west northwest of house. I'm sorta glad we had those trees removed. We're burning them in the fireplace.

WHEN ARE THEY GONNA GET THE POWER BACK ON?!
    May just be awhile.

I remember back in 2003...after the big Northeast blackout. I had bought a generator, mostly to aid with my mother; but before I got it up and out, the power came back on. It was out for about 24 hours - in August. She was not well and going without air conditioning in that muggy heat was not good.

Anyway. I didn't get it set up; and per Home Depot's return policy, I could. They were probably glad to have it back, since so many people were buying generators as fast as they came in. The Customer Service line was long - as it always is - and the guy in front of me, turned out to be a retired lineman with Niagara Mohawk, the major power company for Upstate New York.

And he told me - and events are bearing him out - that the best thing to do, is plan for power outages of a week or more at a tim. Niagara Mohawk had just been purchased by National Grid, a London owner of worldwide utility companies; and the first thing they did was start laying people off in large numbers. NM had been struggling to be reliable, in an era of hyper-regulation and limits on return, and basically management and owners had given up and sold to National Grid.

He gave me stories - we were in line a long time. Of transformers in places in Buffalo where they were running at 125 percent of capacity - and they had fire hoses on tripods, trained on the transformers to cool them. Of how a major trunk line from Dunkirk to Batavia was STEEL cable - put up during the Korean War, when copper was at a premium. NM had never gotten around to replacing it and with current environmental regs, could not. The last linemen who knew how to work steel transmission lines, had just gotten laid off or bought out.

Best thing, he said, was to be ready for at least two weeks without power - at any given time. There wasn't the personnel to repair major storm damage. They'd have to request assistance from other utilities, even 2000 or more miles away. And if storm damage was widespread, it could be a LONG wait.

Since then, we had the hurricane damage on Long Island, where they were out power for a month; and other events.

So...my advice, ma'am...is go to the local outdoor store and buy a gasoline or propane range. You may need it this week.

Administrator V.I.P
    TPF Moderator
    Achievements:

Thanks
    tHis isn't severe in the oddness of it...just the flooding that is going on...and I don't remember any forewarning on this rain and flooding. here in Virginia...sometime last night or EARRRRRLY this morning we started getting rain..and now we've got brooks running down through the middle of the property and not small either. Rivers up, streams are up, water standing and ground saturated and still raining. Now here's the weird stuff. It's turns to huge flakes of snow...I mean YUGE and then it rains again. Now it's cold but it isn't cold enough for snow. 42degrees, Weird. BUT at least the snow stuff gives the wet stuff time to run off a little .

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Calypso Jones For This Useful Post:

Jen (03-21-2019)

Banned Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points3 months registered
    Overall activity: 91.0%

Thanks
    Same cockup in the UK. Sucessive governments have dithered and bolloxed about whilst at the same time trumpeting about 'green' energy and closing down coal plants, shit scared of the tree huggers to build another nuclear plant. The result is some winter nights it only needs two more kettles to be turned on and the entire grid would start going down. They wer e even forced to runa cable ove rto the Franch Grid and buy energy from the French Government, which ofc is a dangerous thing to do, being at the mercy of the french, who are unaccountable to the english people.
    Last edited by BabyBoomer+; 03-21-2019 at 03:07 PM.

Administrator V.I.P
    TPF Moderator
    Achievements:

Thanks
    DAMN THE French. LOLOL

V.I.P. V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassCreated Blog entryVeteran
    Overall activity: 31.0%

Thanks
    Hurricane season is almost upon us,. Hopefully youse guyze can help. I need a new diverter for my roof. I've had Wolf in a thong, Yolo and Hillary in a .Compromising pose. The ex. Its a toss up tween an 8 ft starkers pose of Stacy Abrams or Mad Max. Or maybe Baby phat Nadler. In a diaper, What do you think? Ill need the addresses of the contestants to ask for the appropriate photos.

Thread Information