User Tag List

Thread: 'You've erased my girl from history'

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Overall activity: 80.0%

Thanks

'You've erased my girl from history'

'You've erased my girl from history': Mothers' fury after photo firm offers to DELETE disabled children from class photo, with a youngster in a wheelchair among those removed from school picture

By CHRIS MATTHEWS and CLAIRE ELLIOT
    PUBLISHED: 19:55 EDT, 28 March 2024

Mothers have been left fuming after a photography firm offered to remove disabled children and those with additional support needs from class photos.

Three children at Aboyne Primary School in Scotland were removed from images sent via an internet link, giving parents the option to order a photo without them in it.

Businesswoman mother-of-two Natalie Pinnell, 38, told MailOnline the decision to omit her nine-year-old daughter Erin from her class photo had 'devastated' their family.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ren-class.html

And from Barliman Butterbur in Book VII of the Lord of the Rings:

'Well, this has been the nicest chat I've had in a month of Mondays. And I'll not deny that I'll sleep easier tonight and with a lighter heart. You've given me a powerful lot to think over, but I'll put it off until tomorrow.

Please think quicker Barliman, although your brews are fine.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Moonie For This Useful Post:

Camp (03-29-2024),Conservative Libertarian (03-28-2024),dinosaur (03-28-2024),DonGlock26 (04-01-2024),old dog (03-28-2024),Old Ridge Runner (03-29-2024)

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Overall activity: 80.0%

Thanks
    So? Not too unlike the Buckingham Palace's Press Office Photoshopping The Princess of Wales' Photo then?

Quite mainstream media related editing, then?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Moonie For This Useful Post:

Old Ridge Runner (03-29-2024)

Alumni Member Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranTagger First ClassSocial
    Overall activity: 23.0%

Thanks
    I've heard of cancel culture ... maybe this is the logical progression of that ... delete culture? Who the hell requested this, or would want a photo without ALL of the kiddies??

When I was in high school, I served on the yearbook team. I was in charge of sports layout. I was presented with a team photo, but one of the team members in the back row was giving the "one finger salute". I asked our faculty leader if there was any other photos of the team. We searched thru all the photos and negatives, and could not find another group photo of that team. My faculty advisor was the photographer, and he was livid. This was back in the 1970s, so no photoshop. But being the photographer, my advisor knew exactly how to solve the problem. He went to the negative, and scratched that player right off the negative. The end result was a crude bunch of scratch marks that looked vaguely like fake grass background. And that is how it was published in the yearbook.

In my example, I believe the faculty advisor made a good decision, if not the best decision. In this case of removing people for simply being disabled, not only should the photographer making the offer be terminated, but the people who hired the photographer should be punished also, especially if any of them approved this practice. Horrible!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dinosaur For This Useful Post:

Camp (03-29-2024),Conservative Libertarian (03-28-2024),Old Ridge Runner (03-29-2024)

Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Overall activity: 99.2%

Thanks
    That's just sick.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

God created men, Col. Colt made them equal.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to old dog For This Useful Post:

Camp (03-29-2024),dinosaur (03-28-2024)

Somewhere nice Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranRecommendation Second ClassTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 74.0%

Thanks
    I remember in middle school in the 60s an Australian girl joined our class a very shy girl. She was disabled, both her knee joints didn't work properly, she used crutches to move around. She was part aboriginal and stood out from the rest of us Anglo Saxons.
    Her knees had terrible scars from the multiple procedures she had done on them, also her legs from top to bottom were oversized, they resembled elephant legs.
    We were all told to be nice to her which we practiced daily for her benefit. She was a boffin (genius) brilliant at mathematics and we all hated her for just this.
    The annual school class photo I brought home showed her proudly at the front sat on a chair while everyone else stood around her, the teacher was well away from her in the photo right on the end.
    Vote Reform U.K.

Rip Wes.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Neo For This Useful Post:

dinosaur (03-29-2024)

Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points3 months registered
    Overall activity: 1.0%

Thanks
    I remember an incident sort of like that in elementary school in the 60s, too, Neo. I was always the smallest boy wherever I went and had the dubious pleasure of always being the butt of jokes and being knocked on my butt.

It was the middle of third grade when a new kid was introduced to us. He was a polio victim and he wore a leg brace. He was very conscious about it, especially since he still had a hell of a time walking, which made him really stand out. Of course, he was quickly made the butt of jokes for many eight-year-old boys. This lifted a huge burden off me.

It wasn’t long before I joined the others in teasing him. One day, on the playground, the other kids egged the two of us on to fight. We complied and it was actually a pretty good fight. Each of us were toughened by always being beaten and we were both stronger than the other thought.

Then it happened.

I laid a good one on him and he staggered backwards into the brick wall face first and fell, sliding down the wall.

He got the worst brush burn I ever saw, from cheek to top of forehead. In addition, he badly scratched his cornea—I think that affected me the most.

Since this was the 60s, the playground teacher whooped me, the principal whooped me harder, and my dad whooped me the hardest. He told me he doesn’t mind me fighting if I was standing up for myself, but fighting someone who had a physical issue was cowardly. He was so pissed at me.

To make a long story short, I apologized to Bobby Hahn and we became good friends until his family moved when we were in the sixth grade. I always wondered whatever happened to him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Morton For This Useful Post:

Camp (03-29-2024),dinosaur (03-29-2024),Neo (03-29-2024)

Thread Information