User Tag List

Thread: Is America a Rogue Superpower?

Super Moderator IT Staff
    Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    TPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassTagger First ClassVeteranSocial
    Overall activity: 22.0%

Thanks

Is America a Rogue Superpower?

Anti War

Is America a Rogue Superpower?

by Ted Snider Posted on March 28, 2024

Excerpt:

“Unipolar” used to mean that the United States was, at least in theory, alone in leading the world. Now “unipolar” means that the United States is alone and isolated in opposition to the world.

In global affairs, a hegemon is a nation that leads because it has the consent of the other nations who believe in its goals and values. The United States has recently demonstrated, though, that it has given up any pretense of using its leadership to pursue the goals of the global community, and instead is openly using the global community to pursue its own goals.

In his new book, The Lost Peace, Richard Sakwa explains the distinction between the pursuit of hegemony and the pursuit of primacy. Primacy “entails predominance and the conscious attempt to thwart the ambition of others.” In its recent performance at the United Nations, the United States is performing, not out of hegemony as it usually described, but out of primacy.

As a hegemon, the U.S. wields the power to veto in the Security Council. But in the exercise of primacy, it has recently used that veto to supress the clearly expressed voice of the international community.

LINK

=================

The Biden Administration is crawling with stupid incompetent people who thinks some U.N. Resolutions are ..... NON binding when actually ALL resolutions are binding by law as it is the Charter.

Admins will no longer accept or respond to PMs regarding forum issues. Members with issues, questions about reports or any forum related problem, should file a report or PM a Moderator.

Trinnity
    LINK
    =======

House Rules
    LINK

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sunsettommy For This Useful Post:

dinosaur (03-28-2024),Old Ridge Runner (03-30-2024)

Alumni Member Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranTagger First ClassSocial
    Overall activity: 25.0%

Thanks
    I believe a country can pursue its own goals, even a goal of being the best in the world, and still engage in responsible diplomacy that benefits all. "Peace thru Strength" can be good. But I also agree that a country that pursues an agenda of control of other countries is on the wrong track.

Freedom to pursue happiness, greatness, whatever you want to call it, is wonderful. Deciding what is best for others is neither freedom nor greatness. Using power to direct others and how they operate is not a good foreign policy.

I don't always agree with Responsible Statecraft authors or style, but in general I do agree with their idea of responsible statecraft. That is part of the greatness of the USA.

Home - Responsible Statecraft

But Mr Snider is wrong in this case. The Biden admin is simply showing it no longer deserves to be a leader, period. The Biden admin does not have the courage to tell the lot of the UN that they are wrong. We have caved to the world interest, contrary to what Mr Snider says. I am reminded of the old dinosaur saying ... Eat shit, 50 billion flies can't be wrong. But the flies are wrong, it tastes like shit! Being great means having the courage to tell 50 billion others they are wrong, when they are wrong. We just can't go along with wrong, no matter if everyone else is wrong.

Israel suffered a humiliating and horrible attack. They are correct in a forceful response until the future threat of a reoccurrence is eliminated. The responsible course now is to encourage Hamas to surrender, unconditionally. Until they do, keep bringing the hammer down. It is the responsibility of Hamas, not Israel, to end the war. Responsible statecraft would be a resolution to demand/request/suggest unconditional surrender by Hamas. But asking the UN to do anything responsible is futile. That's another problem.
    Last edited by dinosaur; 03-28-2024 at 09:49 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dinosaur For This Useful Post:

Old Ridge Runner (03-30-2024)

Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Overall activity: 97.0%

Thanks
    We are not in the United Nations to rubber stamp "the clearly expressed voice of the international community". Our foreign policy and everyone else's is to advance our national interests. We didn't protect international free trade for 50 years after WWII because we were nice guys ... it was to keep Europe at the front line of the ant-Soviet coalition. Every administration since the fall of the Soviet Union has been trying to figure out what's next ... with little success.

And despite what the article says, this is about Gaza.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

God created men, Col. Colt made them equal.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to old dog For This Useful Post:

Alumni Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassTagger Second ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 57.0%

Thanks
    I read a snippet, sure enough this is about those Hamas bastards! Screw them!
    Who made Who!?

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Physics Hunter For This Useful Post:

Camp (03-29-2024),FNguy (03-29-2024),old dog (03-30-2024),Old Ridge Runner (03-30-2024)

Mod Team Leader Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    TPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassVeteranYour first Group
    Overall activity: 11.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by old dog View Post
    We are not in the United Nations to rubber stamp "the clearly expressed voice of the international community". Our foreign policy and everyone else's is to advance our national interests. We didn't protect international free trade for 50 years after WWII because we were nice guys ... it was to keep Europe at the front line of the ant-Soviet coalition. Every administration since the fall of the Soviet Union has been trying to figure out what's next ... with little success.

And despite what the article says, this is about Gaza.
    Does the bolded make it binding, or non binding? Sorry, couldn't resist.
    Rule 24) Youtubes (political videos) are not allowed as political OP's or any OP's unless there is significant comment or explanation abutting them so they're obviously an adjunct to the discussion - not the topic of the discussion. A political OP cannot lead w a youtube. No exceptions. This WILL be enforced.

Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Overall activity: 97.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadianeye View Post
    Does the bolded make it binding, or non binding? Sorry, couldn't resist.
    That's OK, I have a thick skin.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

God created men, Col. Colt made them equal.

50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation Second ClassTagger First Class
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Overall activity: 48.0%

Oaxaca, Mexico, for over twenty years. Born and raised in Memphis, TN, and worked in Colorado.
    Thanks
    The U.S. under a Biden Regime is rather like a 19-year-old Yorkie. Big on attitude but can't pee without help. We're backing Hamas because Biden needs the votes and we're helping Iran get nuclear weapons and I'm not sure why. I suspect China has something to do with it. And Americans are below everyone else in the world when in comes to Biden Regime Priorities.

We're recalling retired military personnel because no one wants to enlist to serve under the corrupt pervert.
    Last edited by patrickt; 03-29-2024 at 10:08 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to patrickt For This Useful Post:

Thread Information