From the room far back a gray bearded man
    Came forward and picked up the bow,
    Then wiping the dust from the old violin
    And tightening up the strings,
    He played a melody, pure and sweet
    As sweet as the angel sings.The music ceased and the auctioneer
    With a voice that was quiet and low,
    Said "What now am I bid for this old violin?"
    As he held it aloft with its' bow."One thousand, one thousand, Do I hear two?"
    "Two thousand, Who makes it three?"
    "Three thousand once, three thousand twice,
    Going and gone", said he.The audience cheered,
    But some of them cried,
    "We just don't understand."
    "What changed its' worth?"
    Swift came the reply.
    "The Touch of the Masters Hand.""And many a man with life out of tune
    All battered and bruised with hardship
    Is auctioned cheap to a thoughtless crowd
    Much like that old violinA mess of pottage, a glass of wine,
    A game and he travels on.
    He is going once, he is going twice,
    He is going and almost gone.But the Master comes,
    And the foolish crowd never can quite understand,
    The worth of a soul and the change that is wrought
    By the Touch of the Masters' Hand.- by Myra Brooks Welch

http://www.onlythebible.com/Poems/th...ld-Violin.html
    I suspect Charlie Daniels may have read that before composing "Devil Went Down to Georgia."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Robert Urbanek For This Useful Post:

DriftingSand (09-20-2014)

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    SocialOverdrive50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteran
    Overall activity: 31.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Ridge Runner View Post
    I start my day by reading Our Daily Bread and the accompanying scripture and was wondering if anyone else would be interested in reading it. If you would like to join me every morning I would be happy to post the daily readings here. I also read one of the parables of our Lord Jesus each day and am willing to post those here as well if anyone would like to read them. Let me know.
    Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us

lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil for thy is the kingdom the power and glory forever AMEN

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Karl For This Useful Post:

DriftingSand (09-20-2014),Old Ridge Runner (09-21-2014)

Social50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteran
    Overall activity: 33.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DriftingSand View Post
    Yes sir. A loving God who willingly hung on a cross and suffered a long and painful death on our behalf losing every drop of His blood in the agonizing process. If they who deny Him only knew and understood what a magnificent gift they're rejecting they would drop to their knees with a deep sense of humility and thank Him from the depths of their hearts. Thank Christ for losing His life so that we may have ours, everlasting.
    One say those who have denied Him will realize the folly of their error, but than it will be to late.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Old Ridge Runner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Sunday,
    September 14, 2014

Gentle Jesus

Unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven. —Matthew 18:3

Charles Wesley (1707–1788) was a Methodist evangelist who wrote more than 9,000 hymns and sacred poems. Some, like “O for a Thousand Tongues to Sing,” are great, soaring hymns of praise. But his poem “Gentle Jesus, Meek and Mild,” first published in 1742, is a child’s quiet prayer that captures the essence of how all of us should seek the Lord in sincere, simple faith.

Loving Jesus, gentle Lamb,

In Thy gracious hands I am;

Make me, Savior, what Thou art,

Live Thyself within my heart.

When some followers of Jesus were jockeying for position in His kingdom, the Lord “called a little child to Him, set him in the midst of them, and said, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven’” (Matt. 18:2-3).

Not many children seek position or power. Instead, they want acceptance and security. They cling to the adults who love and care for them. Jesus never turned children away.

The last stanza of Wesley’s poem shows a childlike desire to be just like Jesus: “I shall then show forth Thy praise / Serve Thee all my happy days; / Then the world shall always see / Christ, the holy Child, in me.” David C. McCasland

Father, give me the faith of a little child. I want
    to know Your love and care, and to rest in Your
    embrace. Grant my desire to be like You in all
    my ways that I might live for Your honor.

Faith shines brightest in a childlike heart.

Scripture taken from the New King James Version. Copyright 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc. Used by permission. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2014 RBC Ministries--Grand Rapids, MI 49555

Matthew 18: 1-10

Who Is the Greatest?

18*At that time the disciples came to Jesus, saying, “Who then is greatest in the kingdom of heaven?”

2*Then Jesus called a little child to Him, set him in the midst of them, 3*and said, “Assuredly, I say to you, unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven. 4*Therefore whoever humbles himself as this little child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. 5*Whoever receives one little child like this in My name receives Me. Jesus Warns of Offenses

6*“Whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to sin, it would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck, and he were drowned in the depth of the sea. 7*Woe to the world because of offenses! For offenses must come, but woe to that man by whom the offense comes!

8*“If your hand or foot causes you to sin, cut it off and cast it from you. It is better for you to enter into life lame or maimed, rather than having two hands or two feet, to be cast into the everlasting fire. 9*And if your eye causes you to sin, pluck it out and cast it from you. It is better for you to enter into life with one eye, rather than having two eyes, to be cast into hell fire. The Parable of the Lost Sheep

10*“Take heed that you do not despise one of these little ones, for I say to you that in heaven their angels always see the face of My Father who is in heaven.
    A child in Christ is a hard thing to obtain, simply because of our adult minds, however, if heaven is our goal than a child we must become with Christ Jesus as our protector, for only He can grant everlasting life.
    Last edited by Old Ridge Runner; 09-14-2014 at 07:21 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Old Ridge Runner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    September 15, 2014

The Blame Game

My wrong be upon you! . . . The Lord judge between you and me. —Genesis 16:5

When Jenny’s husband left her for another woman, she vowed that she would never meet his new wife. But when she realized that her bitterness was damaging her children’s relationship with their father, she asked for God’s help to take the first steps toward overcoming bitterness in a situation she couldn’t change.

In Genesis 16, we read the story of a couple to whom God promised a baby. When Sarai suggested that her husband Abram have a child with their servant Hagar, she wasn’t fully trusting God for the child He had promised. When the baby was born, Hagar despised Sarai (Gen. 16:3-4), and Sarai became bitter (vv.5-6).

Hagar had been the slave with no rights and suddenly she was special. How did Sarai react? By blaming others, including Abram (v.5). God’s promise was realized in the birth of Isaac 14 years later. Even his weaning celebration was spoiled by Sarai’s attitude (21:8-10).

It may never have been easy for Sarai to have lived with the consequences of their decision to go ahead of God. It may have taken a miracle of grace to change her attitude but that could have transformed everything. Sarai couldn’t reverse the decision, but through God’s strength, she could have lived with it differently, and given God the glory. Marion Stroud

Thank You, Lord, that though our situations
    may not change, Your grace is strong enough
    to change us in our situations. Help us as we
    struggle sometimes to live in this sinful world.

By God’s grace, we can reflect His light in the dark times.

Scripture taken from the New King James Version. Copyright 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc. Used by permission. All rights reserved.

Genesis 16:1-6; 21: 8-13

Hagar and Ishmael

16*Now Sarai, Abram’s wife, had borne him no children. And she had an Egyptian maidservant whose name was Hagar. 2*So Sarai said to Abram, “See now, the Lord has restrained me from bearing children. Please, go in to my maid; perhaps I shall obtain children by her.” And Abram heeded the voice of Sarai. 3*Then Sarai, Abram’s wife, took Hagar her maid, the Egyptian, and gave her to her husband Abram to be his wife, after Abram had dwelt ten years in the land of Canaan. 4*So he went in to Hagar, and she conceived. And when she saw that she had conceived, her mistress became despised in her eyes.

5*Then Sarai said to Abram, “My wrong be upon you! I gave my maid into your embrace; and when she saw that she had conceived, I became despised in her eyes. The Lord judge between you and me.”

6*So Abram said to Sarai, “Indeed your maid is in your hand; do to her as you please.” And when Sarai dealt harshly with her, she fled from her presence.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Old Ridge Runner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Tuesday,
    September 16, 2014

A Heart For Prayer

When You said, “Seek My face,” my heart said to You, “Your face, Lord, I will seek.” —Psalm 27:8

While traveling on an airplane with her 4- and 2-year-old daughters, a young mom worked at keeping them busy so they wouldn’t disturb others. When the pilot’s voice came over the intercom for an announcement, Catherine, the younger girl, paused from her activities and put her head down. When the pilot finished, she whispered, “Amen.” Perhaps because there had been a recent natural disaster, she thought the pilot was praying.

Like that little girl, I want a heart that turns my thoughts toward prayer quickly. I think it would be fair to say that the psalmist David had that kind of heart. We get hints of that in Psalm 27 as he speaks of facing difficult foes (v.2). He said, “Your face, Lord, I will seek” (v.8). Some say that David was remembering the time he was fleeing from Saul (1 Sam. 21:10) or from his son Absalom (2 Sam. 15:13-14) when he wrote this psalm. Prayer and dependence on God were in the forefront of David’s thinking, and he found Him to be his sanctuary (Ps. 27:4-5).

We need a sanctuary as well. Perhaps reading or praying this psalm and others could help us to develop that closeness to our Father-God. As God becomes our sanctuary, we’ll more readily turn our hearts toward Him in prayer. Anne Cetas

Teach me, Father, what it means to run to
    and have You as my sanctuary. Help me not to
    worry about the words I say, but just to express my
    heart to You and to nestle down close to You.

In prayer, God can still our hearts and quiet our minds.

Psalm 27:7-14

7*Hear, O Lord, when I cry with my voice!
    Have mercy also upon me, and answer me.
    8*When You said, “Seek My face,”
    My heart said to You, “Your face, Lord, I will seek.”
    9*Do not hide Your face from me;
    Do not turn Your servant away in anger;
    You have been my help;
    Do not leave me nor forsake me,
    O God of my salvation.
    10*When my father and my mother forsake me,
    Then the Lord will take care of me.

11*Teach me Your way, O Lord,
    And lead me in a smooth path, because of my enemies.
    12*Do not deliver me to the will of my adversaries;
    For false witnesses have risen against me,
    And such as breathe out violence.
    13*I would have lost heart, unless I had believed
    That I would see the goodness of the Lord
    In the land of the living.

14*Wait on the Lord;
    Be of good courage,
    And He shall strengthen your heart;
    Wait, I say, on the Lord!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Old Ridge Runner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Wednesday,
    September 17, 2014

Giving It To God

[He] went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions. —Mark 10:22

A hero to a generation of people who grew up after World War*II, Corrie ten*Boom left a legacy of godliness and wisdom. A victim of the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands, she survived to tell her story of faith and dependence on God during horrendous suffering.

“I have held many things in my hands,” Corrie once said, “and I have lost them all; but whatever I have placed in God’s hands, that, I still possess.”

Corrie was well acquainted with loss. She lost family, possessions, and years of her life to hateful people. Yet she learned to concentrate on what could be gained spiritually and emotionally by putting everything in the hands of her heavenly Father.

What does that mean to us? What should we place in God’s hands for safekeeping? According to the story of the rich young man in Mark 10, everything. He held abundance in his hands, but when Jesus asked him to give it up, he refused. He kept his possessions and he failed to follow Jesus—and as a result he “went away sorrowful” (v.22).

Like Corrie ten*Boom, we can find hope by putting everything in God’s hands and then trusting Him for the outcome. Dave Branon

All to Jesus I surrender,
    All to Him I freely give;
    I will ever love and trust Him,
    In His presence daily live. —Van de Venter

No life is more secure than a life surrendered to God.

Mark 10: 17-22

Jesus Counsels the Rich Young Ruler

17*Now as He was going out on the road, one came running, knelt before Him, and asked Him, “Good Teacher, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life?”

18*So Jesus said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God. 19*You know the commandments: ‘Do not commit adultery,’ ‘Do not murder,’ ‘Do not steal,’ ‘Do not bear false witness,’ ‘Do not defraud,’ ‘Honor your father and your mother.’”

20*And he answered and said to Him, “Teacher, all these things I have kept from my youth.”

21*Then Jesus, looking at him, loved him, and said to him, “One thing you lack: Go your way, sell whatever you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, take up the cross, and follow Me.”

22*But he was sad at this word, and went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions.

Footnotes:Mark 10:19 Exodus 20:12–16; Deuteronomy 5:16–20

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Old Ridge Runner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Thursday,
    September 18, 2014

Love To Tell His Story

Oh, give thanks to the Lord! Call upon His name; make known His deeds among the peoples! —1 Chronicles 16:8

When noted author Studs Terkel was looking for a topic for his next book, one of his friends suggested “death.” While he was resistant at first, the idea gradually began to take shape, but its voice became all too real when Mr. Terkel’s wife of 60 years passed away. Now the book was also a personal search: a yearning to know what lies beyond, where his loved one had just gone. Its pages are a poignant reminder of our own search for Jesus and the questions and concerns we have about eternity while we walk our faith journey.

I’m thankful for the assurance we can have that we will be with Jesus after we die if we have trusted in Him to forgive our sin. There is no greater hope. It is now our privilege to share that hope with as many as we can. First Peter 3:15 encourages us: “. . . always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear.” We have the opportunity from God, as David said, to “call upon His name; make known His deeds among the peoples” (1*Chron. 16:8).

The stories of so many people we love are not yet ended, and the privilege to tell them about the love of Jesus is a gift most precious. Randy Kilgore

I love to tell the story; more wonderful it seems
    Than all the golden fancies of all our golden dreams.
    I love to tell the story, it did so much for me;
    And that is just the reason I tell it now to thee. —Hankey

Let our days be filled with a longing— and the opportunities—to tell our story of Jesus.

1Chronicles 16:7-13

David’s Song of Thanksgiving

7*On that day David first delivered this psalm into the hand of Asaph and his brethren, to thank the Lord:

8*Oh, give thanks to the Lord!
    Call upon His name;
    Make known His deeds among the peoples!
    9*Sing to Him, sing psalms to Him;
    Talk of all His wondrous works!
    10*Glory in His holy name;
    Let the hearts of those rejoice who seek the Lord!

11*Seek the Lord and His strength;
    Seek His face evermore!
    12*Remember His marvelous works which He has done,
    His wonders, and the judgments of His mouth,
    13*O seed of Israel His servant,
    You children of Jacob, His chosen ones

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Old Ridge Runner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Friday,
    September 19, 2014

On Being Known

I acknowledged my sin to You .*.*.*. I said, “I will confess my transgressions to the Lord,” and You forgave the iniquity of my sin. —Psalm 32:5

One of the most difficult inner conflicts we have is our desire to be known versus our fear of being known. As beings created in the image of God we are made to be known—known by God and also by others. Yet due to our fallen nature, all of us have sins and weaknesses that we don’t want others to know about. We use the phrase “dark side” to refer to aspects of our lives that we keep hidden. And we use slogans like “put your best foot forward” to encourage others to show their best side.

One reason we are unwilling to risk being known is that we fear rejection and ridicule. But when we discover that God knows us, loves us, and is willing to forgive even the worst thing we have done, our fear of being known by God begins to fade away. And when we find a community of believers who understands the dynamic relationship between forgiveness and confession, we feel safe confessing our sins to one another (James 5:16).

The life of faith is not about showing only our good side. It’s about exposing our dark side to the light of Christ through confession to God and also to others. In this way we can receive healing and live in the freedom of forgiveness. Julie Ackerman Link

Lord, help me to expose my sin,
    Those secret wrongs that lurk within;
    I would confess them all to Thee;
    Transparent I would always be. —D. DeHaan

The voice of sin may be loud, but the voice of forgiveness is louder. —D. L. Moody

James 5:16-20

16*Confess your trespasses to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much. 17*Elijah was a man with a nature like ours, and he prayed earnestly that it would not rain; and it did not rain on the land for three years and six months. 18*And he prayed again, and the heaven gave rain, and the earth produced its fruit. Bring Back the Erring One

19*Brethren, if anyone among you wanders from the truth, and someone turns him back, 20*let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save a soul from death and cover a multitude of sins.

Footnotes:James 5:16 NU-Text reads Therefore confess your sins. James 5:20 NU-Text reads his soul.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Old Ridge Runner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Saturday,
    September 20, 2014

Rooted

Joash did what was right in the sight of the Lord all the days of Jehoiada the priest. —2 Chronicles 24:2

Joash must have been confused and frightened when he was told about the evil deeds of his grandmother Athaliah. She had murdered his brothers to usurp the power of the throne in Judah. But baby Joash had been safely hidden away by his aunt and uncle for 6 years (2 Chron. 22:10-12). As he grew, he enjoyed the love and instruction of his caregivers. When Joash was only 7 years old, he was secretly crowned king and his grandmother was overthrown (23:12-15).

Young King Joash had a wise counselor by his side—his very own Uncle Jehoiada (chs. 22–25). Joash was one of the rare “good kings” of Judah, and while his uncle was alive he obeyed the Lord by doing right (24:2). But once his uncle was no longer there to teach and lead by example, Joash fell away and his life ended badly (24:15-25). It seems that the roots of his faith did not run very deep. He even began to worship idols. Perhaps Joash’s “faith” had been more his uncle’s than his own.

Others can teach us the principles of their faith, but each of us must come individually to a lasting and personal faith in Christ. For faith to be real, it must become our own. God will help us walk with Him and become rooted and established in the faith (Col. 2:6-7). Cindy Hess Kasper

I am Thine, O Lord, I have heard Thy voice,
    And it told Thy love to me;
    But I long to rise in the arms of faith
    And be closer drawn to Thee. —Crosby

The faith that continues to the end gives proof that it was genuine in the beginning.

2 Chronicles 24:15 - 22

Apostasy of Joash

15*But Jehoiada grew old and was full of days, and he died; he was one hundred and thirty years old when he died. 16*And they buried him in the City of David among the kings, because he had done good in Israel, both toward God and His house.

17*Now after the death of Jehoiada the leaders of Judah came and bowed down to the king. And the king listened to them. 18*Therefore they left the house of the Lord God of their fathers, and served wooden images and idols; and wrath came upon Judah and Jerusalem because of their trespass. 19*Yet He sent prophets to them, to bring them back to the Lord; and they testified against them, but they would not listen.

20*Then the Spirit of God came upon Zechariah the son of Jehoiada the priest, who stood above the people, and said to them, “Thus says God: ‘Why do you transgress the commandments of the Lord, so that you cannot prosper? Because you have forsaken the Lord, He also has forsaken you.’” 21*So they conspired against him, and at the command of the king they stoned him with stones in the court of the house of the Lord. 22*Thus Joash the king did not remember the kindness which Jehoiada his father had done to him, but killed his son; and as he died, he said, “The Lord look on it, and repay!”

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Old Ridge Runner For This Useful Post:

Thread Information