Alumni Member & VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteranCreated Blog entry
    Overall activity: 7.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Ridge Runner View Post
    I start my day by reading Our Daily Bread and the accompanying scripture and was wondering if anyone else would be interested in reading it. If you would like to join me every morning I would be happy to post the daily readings here. I also read one of the parables of our Lord Jesus each day and am willing to post those here as well if anyone would like to read them. Let me know.
    Sign me up !! Already I see good coming from it.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeadEye For This Useful Post:

DriftingSand (09-11-2014),Old Ridge Runner (09-08-2014)

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteran
    Overall activity: 33.0%

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Monday,
    September 8, 2014

Sow What?

He who sows righteousness will have a sure reward. —Proverbs 11:18

On the clock tower of my alma mater is an Art Deco bas-relief sculpture titled The Sower. The inscription beneath it is from Galatians 6:7, “Whatsoever a man soweth.” Michigan State University remains a leader in agricultural research, but despite many improvements in farming techniques and crop production, this fact remains: Seeds of corn will not produce a crop of beans.

Jesus used many farming metaphors to explain the kingdom of God. In the parable of the sower (Mark 4), He compared the Word of God to seeds sown in different types of soil. As the parable indicates, the sower sows indiscriminately, knowing that some seed will fall in places where it will not grow.

Like Jesus, we are to sow good seed in all places at all times. God is responsible for where it lands and how it grows. The important thing is that we sow. God does not want us to reap destruction, so He wants us to sow what is good and right (Prov. 11:18). The apostle Paul elaborated on the metaphor when he warned believers not to sow seeds of corruption. Instead, we are to sow seeds that will reap eternal life (Gal. 6:8).

The answer to the question, “Sow what?” is “Sow what you want to reap.” To reap a good harvest in your life, start sowing seeds of goodness. Julie Ackerman Link

Sow a thought, reap an act;
    Sow an act, reap a habit;
    Sow a habit, reap a character;
    Sow a character, reap a destiny. —Anon.

A buried seed brings fruit; a selfless life reaps an eternal harvest.

Scripture taken from the New King James Version. Copyright 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc. Used by permission. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2014 RBC Ministries--Grand Rapids, MI 49555
    Mark 4: 1-20

The Parable of the Sower

4*And again He began to teach by the sea. And a great multitude was gathered to Him, so that He got into a boat and sat in it on the sea; and the whole multitude was on the land facing the sea. 2*Then He taught them many things by parables, and said to them in His teaching:

3*“Listen! Behold, a sower went out to sow. 4*And it happened, as he sowed, that some seed fell by the wayside; and the birds of the air came and devoured it. 5*Some fell on stony ground, where it did not have much earth; and immediately it sprang up because it had no depth of earth. 6*But when the sun was up it was scorched, and because it had no root it withered away. 7*And some seed fell among thorns; and the thorns grew up and choked it, and it yielded no crop. 8*But other seed fell on good ground and yielded a crop that sprang up, increased and produced: some thirtyfold, some sixty, and some a hundred.”

9*And He said to them, “He who has ears to hear, let him hear!” The Purpose of Parables

10*But when He was alone, those around Him with the twelve asked Him about the parable. 11*And He said to them, “To you it has been given to know the mystery of the kingdom of God; but to those who are outside, all things come in parables, 12*so that

‘Seeing they may see and not perceive,
    And hearing they may hear and not understand;
    Lest they should turn,
    And their sins be forgiven them.’” The Parable of the Sower Explained

13*And He said to them, “Do you not understand this parable? How then will you understand all the parables? 14*The sower sows the word. 15*And these are the ones by the wayside where the word is sown. When they hear, Satan comes immediately and takes away the word that was sown in their hearts. 16*These likewise are the ones sown on stony ground who, when they hear the word, immediately receive it with gladness; 17*and they have no root in themselves, and so endure only for a time. Afterward, when tribulation or persecution arises for the word’s sake, immediately they stumble. 18*Now these are the ones sown among thorns; they are the ones who hear the word, 19*and the cares of this world, the deceitfulness of riches, and the desires for other things entering in choke the word, and it becomes unfruitful. 20*But these are the ones sown on good ground, those who hear the word, accept it, and bear fruit: some thirtyfold, some sixty, and some a hundred.”

Footnotes:Mark 4:4 NU-Text and M-Text omit of the air. Mark 4:9 NU-Text and M-Text omit to them. Mark 4:12 Isaiah 6:9, 10
    Last edited by Old Ridge Runner; 09-08-2014 at 06:32 AM.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Old Ridge Runner For This Useful Post:

DeadEye (09-08-2014),DriftingSand (09-11-2014),Sheldonna (09-08-2014)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    For those that are interested, @DriftingSand has started a Christian Club for those who wish to join.
    Last edited by Old Ridge Runner; 09-08-2014 at 06:36 AM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Old Ridge Runner For This Useful Post:

DriftingSand (09-08-2014),Sheldonna (09-08-2014)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Tuesday,
    September 9, 2014

A Possum’s Pose

[The Lord] neither faints nor is weary. —Isaiah 40:28

Possums are known for their ability to play dead. When this happens, the possum’s body wilts, its tongue flops out, and its heart rate declines. After about 15 minutes, the animal revives. Interestingly, animal experts do not believe that possums purposefully play dead to evade predators. They faint involuntarily when they become overwhelmed and anxious!

King Saul had a similar response to danger at the end of his reign. Saul “fell full length on the ground, and was dreadfully afraid . . . . And there was no strength in him” (1 Sam. 28:20). He responded this way when the prophet Samuel told him that the Philistines would attack Israel on the next day, and that the Lord was not going to help him. Because Saul’s life had been characterized by disobedience, rashness, and jealousy, God was no longer guiding him (v.16), and his efforts to defend himself and the Israelites would be futile (v.19).

We may be in a place of weakness and despair because of our rebellion or because of the difficulties of life. Although anxiety can steal our strength, God can renew it as we lean on Him (Isa. 40:31). He “neither faints nor is weary” (v.28), and He is willing to reach down and revive us when we can’t take another step. Jennifer Benson Schuldt

Jesus, You mean the world to me. You
    are my life and my all. I’m thankful for
    the strength that You give from day to day.
    I know that without You I am nothing.

The secret of peace is to give every anxious care to God.

Scripture taken from the New King James Version. Copyright 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc. Used by permission. All rights reserved.

1 Samuel 28:5-6, 15-20

5*When Saul saw the army of the Philistines, he was afraid, and his heart trembled greatly. 6*And when Saul inquired of the Lord, the Lord did not answer him, either by dreams or by Urim or by the prophets.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Old Ridge Runner For This Useful Post:

DriftingSand (09-11-2014)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Wednesday,
    September 10, 2014

One Amazing Letter

I will not forget Your word. —Psalm 119:16

Once in a while my wife and I open the mail to find a letter with no words on it. When we take the “letter” out of the envelope, we see a piece of paper with nothing more on it than a colorful mark made with a felt pen. Those “letters” warm our hearts because they’re from our preschool granddaughter Katie, who lives in another state. Even without words, these letters tell us that she loves us and is thinking about us.

We all cherish letters from those we love and those who love us. That’s why there is so much encouragement in the fact that our heavenly Father has given us a letter called the Bible. The value of Scripture goes beyond its words of power, challenge, and wisdom. Amid all of the stories, teaching, and guidance this Book provides, the overriding idea is that God loves us and has planned our rescue. It tells us of His love in overseeing our existence (Ps. 139), meeting our needs (Matt. 6:31-34), comforting us (2*Cor. 1:3-4), and saving us through the sacrifice of His Son, Jesus (Rom. 1:16-17).

You are loved beyond imagination. God says so in His inspired and inspiring message to you. No wonder the psalmist wrote, “I will not forget Your word” (Ps. 119:16). It is one amazing letter! Dave Branon

Lord, help me to examine the Bible’s pages,
    understand its truths, and apply its teachings to my
    life. May I be as excited about Your letter to me as I
    am about a letter, email, or Facebook posting by a friend.

The love of God for us is revealed in His letter to us—the Bible.

Psalm 119:9-16

Beth

9*How can a young man cleanse his way?
    By taking heed according to Your word.
    10*With my whole heart I have sought You;
    Oh, let me not wander from Your commandments!
    11*Your word I have hidden in my heart,
    That I might not sin against You.
    12*Blessed are You, O Lord!
    Teach me Your statutes.
    13*With my lips I have declared
    All the judgments of Your mouth.
    14*I have rejoiced in the way of Your testimonies,

As much as in all riches.
    15*I will meditate on Your precepts,
    And contemplate Your ways.
    16*I will delight myself in Your statutes;
    I will not forget Your word.
    Last edited by Old Ridge Runner; 09-10-2014 at 07:04 AM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Old Ridge Runner For This Useful Post:

DeadEye (09-10-2014),DriftingSand (09-11-2014)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Thursday,
    September 11, 2014

Born To Rescue

For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many. —Mark 10:45

After the terrorist attack and the collapse of the Twin Towers in New York City on September 11, 2001, Cynthia Otto took care of the search-and-rescue dogs. Years later she established a Working Dog Center where young pups are put through specialized training to prepare them to help victims of disaster.

Otto made this comment about these rescue animals: “There are so many jobs now that dogs are being used for . . . and they can save lives.” Otto said that these puppies will one day give vital aid to people in life-threatening circumstances. They are “born” to rescue others.

The Bible tells us of the Messiah who was born to rescue humanity from the penalty of sin. What He did rises above all earthly comparison. Two thousand years ago, God Himself became human in order to do for us what we could not do for ourselves. When Jesus became a man, He understood and proclaimed that He was born to rescue (John 12:27). “For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many” (Mark 10:45).

Let us praise our wonderful Savior—Jesus Christ—who was born to save all who will accept His offer of salvation. Dennis Fisher

Use us, Lord, and make us humble,
    Rescue us from foolish pride;
    And when we begin to stumble,
    Turn our thoughts to Christ who died. —Sper

Christ came to seek and to save the lost.

Mark 10:35-45

Greatness Is Serving

35*Then James and John, the sons of Zebedee, came to Him, saying, “Teacher, we want You to do for us whatever we ask.”

36*And He said to them, “What do you want Me to do for you?”

37*They said to Him, “Grant us that we may sit, one on Your right hand and the other on Your left, in Your glory.”

38*But Jesus said to them, “You do not know what you ask. Are you able to drink the cup that I drink, and be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with?”

39*They said to Him, “We are able.”

So Jesus said to them, “You will indeed drink the cup that I drink, and with the baptism I am baptized with you will be baptized; 40*but to sit on My right hand and on My left is not Mine to give, but it is for those for whom it is prepared.”

41*And when the ten heard it, they began to be greatly displeased with James and John. 42*But Jesus called them to Himself and said to them, “You know that those who are considered rulers over the Gentiles lord it over them, and their great ones exercise authority over them. 43*Yet it shall not be so among you; but whoever desires to become great among you shall be your servant. 44*And whoever of you desires to be first shall be slave of all. 45*For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many.”
    As we honor those who served on this fateful day in 2011 and gave all for those who were in need, for it was on this day the first responders placed and lost their lives to save those trapped in the Twin Towers on September 11, 2011. Let us remember that like our Lord Christ Jesus, these first responders gave their lives in an attempt that others would live. They have earned their place in our hearts and in Heaven.
    Last edited by Old Ridge Runner; 09-11-2014 at 09:29 AM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Old Ridge Runner For This Useful Post:

DeadEye (09-11-2014),DriftingSand (09-11-2014)

Ah Likes Ma Guns! Forum Donor Achievements:
    3 months registeredYour first Group50000 Experience PointsSocialTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 0%

Thanks
    The Old Violin

The Touch of the Masters Hand

'Twas battered and scarred,
    And the auctioneer thought it
    hardly worth his while
    To waste his time on the old violin,
    but he held it up with a smile."What am I bid, good people", he cried,
    "Who starts the bidding for me?"
    "One dollar, one dollar, Do I hear two?"
    "Two dollars, who makes it three?"
    "Three dollars once, three dollars twice, going for three,"But, No,
    From the room far back a gray bearded man
    Came forward and picked up the bow,
    Then wiping the dust from the old violin
    And tightening up the strings,
    He played a melody, pure and sweet
    As sweet as the angel sings.The music ceased and the auctioneer
    With a voice that was quiet and low,
    Said "What now am I bid for this old violin?"
    As he held it aloft with its' bow."One thousand, one thousand, Do I hear two?"
    "Two thousand, Who makes it three?"
    "Three thousand once, three thousand twice,
    Going and gone", said he.The audience cheered,
    But some of them cried,
    "We just don't understand."
    "What changed its' worth?"
    Swift came the reply.
    "The Touch of the Masters Hand.""And many a man with life out of tune
    All battered and bruised with hardship
    Is auctioned cheap to a thoughtless crowd
    Much like that old violinA mess of pottage, a glass of wine,
    A game and he travels on.
    He is going once, he is going twice,
    He is going and almost gone.But the Master comes,
    And the foolish crowd never can quite understand,
    The worth of a soul and the change that is wrought
    By the Touch of the Masters' Hand.- by Myra Brooks Welch

http://www.onlythebible.com/Poems/th...ld-Violin.html

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DriftingSand For This Useful Post:

DeadEye (09-11-2014),Old Ridge Runner (09-11-2014)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Friday,
    September 12, 2014

The Small Giant

The Lord . . . will deliver me. —1 Samuel 17:37

The towering enemy strides into the Valley of Elah. He stands 9 feet tall, and his coat of armor, made of many small bronze plates, glimmers in the sunlight. The shaft of his spear is wrapped with cords so it can spin through the air and be thrown with greater distance and accuracy. Goliath looks invincible.

But David knows better. While Goliath may look like a giant and act like a giant, in contrast to the living God he is small. David has a right view of God and therefore a right view of the circumstances. He sees Goliath as one who is defying the armies of the living God (1*Sam. 17:26). He confidently appears before Goliath in his shepherd’s clothes, armed with only his staff, five stones, and a sling. His confidence is not in what he has but in who is with him (v.45).

What “Goliath” are you facing right now? It may be an impossible situation at work, a financial difficulty, or a broken relationship. With God all things are small in comparison. Nothing is too big for Him. The words of the hymnwriter Charles Wesley remind us: “Faith, mighty faith, the promise sees, and looks to that alone; laughs at impossibilities, and cries it shall be done.” God is able to deliver you if that’s His desire, and He may do so in ways you don’t expect. Poh Fang Chia

Not to the strong is the battle,
    Not to the swift is the race;
    Yet to the true and the faithful
    Victory is promised through grace. —Crosby

Don’t tell God how big your giants are. Tell your giants how big your God is.

1Samuel 17:32-37

32*Then David said to Saul, “Let no man’s heart fail because of him; your servant will go and fight with this Philistine.”

33*And Saul said to David, “You are not able to go against this Philistine to fight with him; for you are a youth, and he a man of war from his youth.”

34*But David said to Saul, “Your servant used to keep his father’s sheep, and when a lion or a bear came and took a lamb out of the flock, 35*I went out after it and struck it, and delivered the lamb from its mouth; and when it arose against me, I caught it by its beard, and struck and killed it. 36*Your servant has killed both lion and bear; and this uncircumcised Philistine will be like one of them, seeing he has defied the armies of the living God.” 37*Moreover David said, “The Lord, who delivered me from the paw of the lion and from the paw of the bear, He will deliver me from the hand of this Philistine.”

And Saul said to David, “Go, and the Lord be with you!”

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Old Ridge Runner For This Useful Post:

DeadEye (09-12-2014),DriftingSand (09-13-2014)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Saturday,
    September 13, 2014

Think Of Them No More

I, even I, am He who blots out your transgressions for My own sake; and I will not remember your sins. —Isaiah 43:25

My early years as a believer in Christ were laden with foreboding. I had the impression that when Jesus comes back, all my sins will be portrayed on a giant screen for everyone to see.

I know now that God chooses not to remember against me a single one of my transgressions. Every sin has been buried in the deepest sea, never to be exhumed and examined again.

Amy Carmichael wrote, “A day or two ago I was thinking rather sadly of the past—so many sins and failures and lapses of every kind. I was reading Isaiah 43, and in verse 24 I saw myself: ‘You have wearied me with your iniquities.’ And then for the first time I noticed that there is no space between verse 24 and verse 25: ‘I, even I, am He who blots out your transgressions for My own sake; and I will not remember your sins.’

Indeed, when our Lord comes back He will “bring to light the hidden things of darkness and reveal the counsels of the hearts. Then each one’s praise will come from God” (1 Cor. 4:5). On that day our works will be tried and we may suffer loss, but we will not be judged for sin (3:11-15). God will see what Christ has done for us. He “will not remember [our] sins.” David H. Roper

Where no far-reaching tide with its powerful sweep
    May stir the dark waves of forgetfulness deep,
    I have buried them there where no mortal can see!
    I’ve cast all thy sins in the depths of the sea. —Anon.

When God saves us, our sins are forgiven forever.

Isiah 43:22-28

Pleading with Unfaithful Israel

22*“But you have not called upon Me, O Jacob;
    And you have been weary of Me, O Israel.
    23*You have not brought Me the sheep for your burnt offerings,
    Nor have you honored Me with your sacrifices.
    I have not caused you to serve with grain offerings,
    Nor wearied you with incense.
    24*You have bought Me no sweet cane with money,
    Nor have you satisfied Me with the fat of your sacrifices;
    But you have burdened Me with your sins,
    You have wearied Me with your iniquities.

25*“I, even I, am He who blots out your transgressions for My own sake;
    And I will not remember your sins.
    26*Put Me in remembrance;
    Let us contend together;
    State your case, that you may be acquitted.
    27*Your first father sinned,
    And your mediators have transgressed against Me.
    28*Therefore I will profane the princes of the sanctuary;
    I will give Jacob to the curse,
    And Israel to reproaches.
    What a wondrous God we have, to think that He will forgive what most repulses Him.
    Last edited by Old Ridge Runner; 09-13-2014 at 06:26 AM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Old Ridge Runner For This Useful Post:

DriftingSand (09-13-2014)

Ah Likes Ma Guns! Forum Donor Achievements:
    3 months registeredYour first Group50000 Experience PointsSocialTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 0%

Thanks
    What a wondrous God we have, to think that He will forgive what most repulses Him.
    Yes sir. A loving God who willingly hung on a cross and suffered a long and painful death on our behalf losing every drop of His blood in the agonizing process. If they who deny Him only knew and understood what a magnificent gift they're rejecting they would drop to their knees with a deep sense of humility and thank Him from the depths of their hearts. Thank Christ for losing His life so that we may have ours, everlasting.
    Last edited by DriftingSand; 09-13-2014 at 06:53 AM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to DriftingSand For This Useful Post:

Old Ridge Runner (09-14-2014)

Thread Information