Thread: Garden 2014

Banned Forum Donor Achievements:
    SocialOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class1 year registered
    Awards:
    Calendar Award
    Overall activity: 40.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Calypso Jones View Post
    I planted 4 rows of potatoes. in the hot sun....using a defective hoe. And the Captain. went thru and after the greenery had started and mowed them down. He thought they were weeds.
    You should, if at all possible, plant your potatoes in the fall, or at very least, before the last freeze. The Farmers Almanac is a good guide for that. Again, using an organic fertilizer. I remound them when you start to see flowers. I just dig around the mounds, the footpaths if you will, and bury as much of the plant as possible. I get the mounds wet, then stomp them tight. Your potatoes will get larger, I guarantee it!

The post previous to this does make a good point. Manure can burn roots. That normally happens if you use it in the heat, or different types of manure. When/if using chicken, rabbit, and a few other types, you must dilute it with multch or even top soil. When applying cow manure efore the last frost, or in fall/winter, I've never experienced heat damage. By time the plant begins to roots it's no longer an issue, as the water and ground temp helps.

I'm keeping my potatoe patch in the garden, but after New Year's i'm planting some in the back yard as well. I'll post pics as the season goes on.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to michaelr For This Useful Post:

goosey (11-14-2014)

Administrator V.I.P
    TPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Blog entry
    Overall activity: 99.7%

Thanks
    I'm going to be adding a Garden 2015 topic...and the reason for that is...it is so bitterly cold here this week..I. MEAN. BITTER...and yet, our kildee (plural) came back TODAY!! It's too cold and they're two months early. If they lay eggs now, they'll freeze. They use the same spots in our back drive. ONce the settle on their spot, we put up two traffic cones to keep vehicles and people out of their personal space. They're used to those cones now. I'll keep you posted. perhaps where they were wintering got really cold and this is warmer.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Calypso Jones For This Useful Post:

Toefoot (02-07-2015)

V.I.P. V.I.P Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteran
    Overall activity: 7.0%

Thanks
    The temperature will hit 66 today and talked the wife into taking her out for breakfast and then getting 2 loads of mulch for the 2015 garden. Also want some large river rock for around the Pergola.

Anyone have the 2015 garden planned out yet? Miss my summer salads and a good beer sitting outside.
    Come on you target for faraway laughter, Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine..

Administrator V.I.P
    TPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Blog entry
    Overall activity: 99.7%

Thanks
    It doesn't appear that the kildeer stayed. I'm glad. I do see junco playing outside the sunroom. I put out suet. A six pack of eastern blues in the front yard. Hope they're doing okay.

Alumni Member & VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Overall activity: 2.0%

Thanks
    Have already started here. Put in some nice Thyme plants, replanted some more Parsley, Some Mint, have basil already coming up, Rosemary is blooming and put in 2 Artichoke Plants. Still pulling Oranges, Tangerines, Lemons and Grapefruit. Need to get some lettuce in for May- June harvest. Tomatoes will be going in late march early April.
    Progressivism is not progressive. Oppression is ended and equality is achieved not by advancing anyone but by retarding the achievements of some.

Social justice is punitive, not restorative. No one is restored under a progressive system, but people are often punished in order to guarantee equal outcome.

A wise man can learn more from a foolish answer than a fool can learn from a wise answer.

Thanks
    All day in the 2015 garden and yard. Tonight the lettuce from our property will be in the salad. With my wonderful 2 shooters of whiskey.....
    Come on you target for faraway laughter, Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine..

Thanks
    Did we get a 2015 garden sticky? A good amount of rain, sunshine and soil this year and the garden, yard, trees and flowers are going nuts.

Altitude of 6400 - 6500 ft above sea level and the air, landscape is beautiful in the Rocky Mountains.

Blackberry and Raspberry syrup and jellies on the horizon along with the peach and cantaloupe jams begging to be canned.

Thanks
    Sitting beside the garden with a good beer, damn it is hot outside. Started harvesting some peas, lettuce, carrots and radish. It looks like the blackberries will produce next year along with the raspberry. My beats and mellon are looking good.

All the flowers look outstanding and the cosmos brilliant in color.

Cut some firewood for the backyard fire pit, tonight smores will rule......on top of some vanilla ice cream.

Thread Information