User Tag List

Thread: History of Saint Valentine...so you will know why (long read)

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocial1 year registered
    Overall activity: 46.0%

Thanks

History of Saint Valentine...so you will know why (long read)

Saint Valentine, officially known as Saint Valentine of Rome, is a third-century Roman saint widely celebrated on February 14 and commonly associated with "courtly love.One common story about St. Valentine is that in one point of his life, as the former Bishop of Terni, Narnia and Amelia, he was on house arrest with Judge Asterius. While discussing religion and faith with the Judge, Valentine pledged the validity of Jesus. The judge immediately put Valentine and his faith to the test. St. Valentine was presented with the judge's blind daughter and told to restore her sight. If he succeeded, the judge vowed to do anything for Valentine. Placing his hands onto her eyes, Valentine restored the child's vision.

Judge Asterius was humbled and obeyed Valentine's requests. Asterius broke all the idols around his house, fasted for three days and became baptized, along with his family and entire 44 member household. The now faithful judge then freed all of his Christian inmates.

St. Valentine was later arrested again for continuing to try to convert people to Christianity. He was sent to Rome under the emperor Claudius Gothicus (Claudius II). According to the popular hagiographical identity, and what is believed to be the first representation of St. Valentine, the Nuremberg Chronicle, St. Valentine was a Roman priest martyred during Claudius' reign. The story tells that St. Valentine was imprisoned for marrying Christian couples and aiding Christians being persecuted by Claudius in Rome. Both acts were considered serious crimes. A relationship between the saint and emperor began to grow, until Valentine attempted to convince Claudius of Christianity. Claudius became raged and sentenced Valentine to death, commanding him to renounce his faith or be beaten with clubs and beheaded.

St. Valentine refused to renounce his faith and Christianity and was executed outside the Flaminian Gate on February 14, 269. However, other tales of St. Valentine's life claim he was executed either in the year 269, 270, 273 or 280. Other depictions of St. Valentine's arrests tell that he secretly married couples so husbands wouldn't have to go to war. Another variation of the legend of St. Valentine says he refused to sacrifice to pagan gods, was imprisoned and while imprisoned he healed the jailer's blind daughter. On the day of his execution, he left the girl a note signed, "Your Valentine."

Pope Julius I is said to have built a church near Ponte Mole in his memory, which for a long time gave name to the gate now called Porta del Popolo, formerly, Porta Valetini.

The romantic nature of Valentine's Day may have derived during the Middle Ages, when it was believed that birds paired couples in mid-February. According to English 18th-century antiquarians Alban Butler and Francis Douce, Valentine's Day was most likely created to overpower the pagan holiday, Lupercalia.

Although the exact origin of the holiday is not widely agreed upon, it is widely recognized as a day for love, devotion and romance.

Whoever he was, Valentine did really exist, because archaeologists have unearthed a Roman catacomb and an ancient church dedicated to St. Valentine. In 496 AD Pope Gelasius marked February 14th as a celebration in honor of his martyrdom.
    Last edited by drifter106; 02-13-2020 at 07:14 PM.
    What is common knowledge to some is a revelation to others...
    For the sake of his sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and the whole world

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to drifter106 For This Useful Post:

2cent (02-13-2020),Brat (02-13-2020),Conservative Libertarian (02-14-2020),HawkTheSlayer (02-13-2020),jirqoadai (02-13-2020),Old Ridge Runner (02-13-2020),Old Tex (02-14-2020)

Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialTagger First ClassCreated Blog entryVeteran
    Overall activity: 67.0%

Thanks
    Valentine was a Gnostic Christian and the patron saint of love and it wasn't always courtly love either.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Quark View Post
    Valentine was a Gnostic Christian and the patron saint of love and it wasn't always courtly love either.
    whatever.....

5. The Following User Says Thank You to drifter106 For This Useful Post:

Quark (02-14-2020)

50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassSocial1 year registered
    Overall activity: 28.0%

Thanks
    Ha ha ha ha ... now that was funny!
    "They Are Not After Me, They Are After You. I'm just in the way." -- Donald Trump 2-19-19 response to democrats' absurd impeachment.

Alumni Member and VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialOverdriveTagger First ClassCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation First Class
    Overall activity: 99.7%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Quark View Post
    Man, he deserves to be a saint if he was messing with Courtney Love.
    Today we live. Tomorrow we die.
    "Evil is da Devil minus da D"

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HawkTheSlayer For This Useful Post:

2cent (02-13-2020),Brat (02-13-2020),Conservative Libertarian (02-14-2020),drifter106 (02-13-2020),Quark (02-14-2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkTheSlayer View Post
    Man, he deserves to be a saint if he was messing with Courtney Love.
    Cute Hawk!!!!

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to drifter106 For This Useful Post:

Conservative Libertarian (02-14-2020),HawkTheSlayer (02-14-2020),Quark (02-14-2020)

V.I.P V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 19.0%

Thanks
    I walked into Walmart yesterday & flowers EVERYWHERE. I also noticed that they were a few bucks MORE than they normally are. So I asked a lady setting up a display why all the flowers. Valentines day was of course the answer. So I picked up a couple of bundles just because.....

I don't know. To me it's kind of dumb to spend that much money on something that will be filling the garbage can in a week. I'd much rather buy her something that will last. But I just plain suck at gifts unless it's crystal & that I can't just walk in any local store & buy. So...I bowed to the pressure & bought 2 bundles of flowers. Oh well at least I didn't find out that I was a day late & have to feel guilty.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Old Tex For This Useful Post:

Canadianeye (02-14-2020),drifter106 (02-14-2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Tex View Post
    I walked into Walmart yesterday & flowers EVERYWHERE. I also noticed that they were a few bucks MORE than they normally are. So I asked a lady setting up a display why all the flowers. Valentines day was of course the answer. So I picked up a couple of bundles just because.....

I don't know. To me it's kind of dumb to spend that much money on something that will be filling the garbage can in a week. I'd much rather buy her something that will last. But I just plain suck at gifts unless it's crystal & that I can't just walk in any local store & buy. So...I bowed to the pressure & bought 2 bundles of flowers. Oh well at least I didn't find out that I was a day late & have to feel guilty.

x2
    Last edited by drifter106; 02-14-2020 at 10:52 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Tex View Post

Fortunately, my wife and I are allergic to the smell of flowers so much so it damn near kills us so no flowers. My wife is diabetic and having trouble in the regards so no candy. Valentine's Day comes and goes for us old Ferengis.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by drifter106 View Post
    whatever.....
    I always like to liven up the party.

Thread Information