Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Understanding My Confusion on Religion & Faith

Alumni Member Achievements:
    SocialOverdrive50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteran
    Overall activity: 5.0%

Thanks

Understanding My Confusion on Religion & Faith

Growing Up my Dad was "Catholic"..

Momma was hardcore Wisconsin Synod Lutheran.

When they were "Lovey" Dovey we went to St John's Lutheran ..

When they were on the "outs" my Dad would take me to Mass at St Peters though going to a LUTHERAN Sunday School I never "Fit" In ..

After that I became a Hardcore Boozer and Dope by the age of 24 I was "Booked" into the Wisconsin Department of Corrections....

I've worked myself outta that low going on 30 years..

Yet what always throws me for a "loop" is who was "Right"... Ma or Dad

Again not always been a Bible Person though I've come to "Realize" that I need to PAY "Attention" or I shall "FRY" for ETERNITY

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Karl For This Useful Post:

drifter106 (02-12-2020),HawkTheSlayer (02-12-2020),Knightkore (02-12-2020)

Alumni Member and VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    Your first GroupSocial50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 96.0%

Timey-Wimey Wibbly-Wobbly Blue Box Thingy
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post

When they were on the "outs" my Dad would take me to Mass at St Peters though going to a LUTHERAN Sunday School I never "Fit" In ..

After that I became a Hardcore Boozer and Dope by the age of 24 I was "Booked" into the Wisconsin Department of Corrections....

Again not always been a Bible Person though I've come to "Realize" that I need to PAY "Attention" or I shall "FRY" for ETERNITY

The basic, I mean bare bones aspect of all of it is Jesus and who He is and what He did for us.

ALL denominations have this very basic key.

Jesus born of a virgin, lived, took punishment for us/His stripes for our healing & crucified/die for our sins & resurrected from the dead so that we can receive eternal life.

Not just duration but quality of life, even here on earth.

The OT & the NT all point this central key issue. Anything else beyond that is either interpretation or extra to gain the benefit of what Jesus purchased for us.

I too grew up going to a Catholic Church {my mom} and to a Baptist Church {my dad} and then my wife and I got married and attended a Seventh Day Adventist Church.

And now we attend a non-denominational church. But I and my wife also listen to KLOVE Christian radio and Victory Channel {Kenneth Copeland} or TBN or CBN or Andrew Wommack GospelTruth.TV.....

Again the central & key issue is Jesus.

Keep focused on Him & you won't go wrong.
    "Everyone's always trying to leave Jesus out, which is one reason we're in the mess we're in." - Miss Clara

Captain Cold
    : Make the plan, Execute the plan, Expect the plan to go off the rails, throw away the plan.

Kenneth Copeland: "Sometimes you can tell what something is by what it isn't."

"So there you go, you're the retarded offspring of five monkeys having butt sex with a fish squirrel, congratulations." Mr. Garrison

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Knightkore For This Useful Post:

Karl (02-12-2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Knightkore View Post
    The basic, I mean bare bones aspect of all of it is Jesus and who He is and what He did for us.

ALL denominations have this very basic key.

Jesus born of a virgin, lived, took punishment for us/His stripes for our healing & crucified/die for our sins & resurrected from the dead so that we can receive eternal life.

Not just duration but quality of life, even here on earth.

The OT & the NT all point this central key issue. Anything else beyond that is either interpretation or extra to gain the benefit of what Jesus purchased for us.

I too grew up going to a Catholic Church {my mom} and to a Baptist Church {my dad} and then my wife and I got married and attended a Seventh Day Adventist Church.

And now we attend a non-denominational church. But I and my wife also listen to KLOVE Christian radio and Victory Channel {Kenneth Copeland} or TBN or CBN or Andrew Wommack GospelTruth.TV.....

Again the central & key issue is Jesus.

Keep focused on Him & you won't go wrong.
    Awhile back I was listening to one of those Radio "Televangelists"..

He "said" Look Around and see that "GOD" is always AROUND..

Driving across this Country I see some "Beauty"..

Even where I once "lost" faith in "People".

Go to these Truckstops and sit in the TV room and talk to the Old-Timers..

Or even if ya see a "Newb" Driver out there I will get out and "Spot" for em ..

Ya know why because "I" once was a "NEWB" and couldn't Back Up for Squat myself ...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Karl For This Useful Post:

Knightkore (02-12-2020)

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocial1 year registered
    Overall activity: 8.0%

Thanks
    This helped me.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to riderboy For This Useful Post:

Karl (02-12-2020),Knightkore (02-12-2020)

Alumni Member and VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    Your first GroupSocial50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 96.0%

Timey-Wimey Wibbly-Wobbly Blue Box Thingy
    Thanks
    Awhile back I was listening to one of those Radio "Televangelists"..

He "said" Look Around and see that "GOD" is always AROUND..

Driving across this Country I see some "Beauty"..

Even where I once "lost" faith in "People".

Go to these Truckstops and sit in the TV room and talk to the Old-Timers..

Or even if ya see a "Newb" Driver out there I will get out and "Spot" for em ..

Ya know why because "I" once was a "NEWB" and couldn't Back Up for Squat myself ...

"Everyone's always trying to leave Jesus out, which is one reason we're in the mess we're in." - Miss Clara

Captain Cold
    : Make the plan, Execute the plan, Expect the plan to go off the rails, throw away the plan.

Kenneth Copeland: "Sometimes you can tell what something is by what it isn't."

"So there you go, you're the retarded offspring of five monkeys having butt sex with a fish squirrel, congratulations." Mr. Garrison

Alumni Member & VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassRecommendation First ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 63.0%

Thanks

@Karl. Believe it or not, Catholic and Lutheran beliefs are not that much different from each other. The Catholic church is a little more ritualistic than the Lutheran church, but their basic beliefs are essentially the same.

Both of your parents were right. Which you choose just depends on the church worship style you prefer.

Both Lutherans and Catholics believe that Jesus was victorious over death = he came back to life after being dead. If we believe Jesus is God's son who showed us that it's true, we have life past death..........then we won't fry when we die. That's the start of it anyway.

Both Lutherans and Catholics believe that. So it's a good place for you to start. Take your pick.
    Last edited by Jen; 02-12-2020 at 04:47 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jen For This Useful Post:

Daily Bread (02-12-2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    @Karl. Believe it or not, Catholic and Lutheran beliefs are not that much different from each other. The Catholic church is a little more ritualistic than the Lutheran church, but their basic beliefs are essentially the same.

Both of your parents were right. Which you choose just depends on the church worship style you prefer.

Both Lutherans and Catholics believe that Jesus was victorious over death = he came back to life after being dead. If we believe Jesus is God's son who showed us that it's true, we have life past death..........then we won't fry when we die. That's the start of it anyway.

Both Lutherans and Catholics believe that. So it's a good place for you to start. Take your pick.
    As of "Current" @Jen I have no official "Religious" Affiliation..

Rather it's more on the Road and I think of times when I was a "complete" DOFUS...

Or even that guy holding the Sign on the off-ramp and I give him afew bucks.

I dunno something "Spiritual" is Happening to me and I can "Tell"

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialTagger First ClassOverdriveVeteran
    Overall activity: 54.0%

Thanks
    The Lutheran church at the end of my block let us kids on the block use the gym for basketball any day ,any time . My Catholic church at the other end of the block wouldn't let us use the gym at all ,it was only for the school teams .
    That's the difference .

Free Bird - V.I.P. Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 48.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post

I was raised Lutheran......

"........... it's true, we have life past death..........then we won't fry when we die."
    America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Abraham Lincoln

15. The Following User Says Thank You to OldSchool For This Useful Post:

Jen (02-12-2020)

Free Bird - V.I.P. Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 48.0%

Thanks

You just need to find your faith. It's not defined by the church you belong to. It's in your heart. You have it or you don't. At least that's how I see it.
    America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Abraham Lincoln

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OldSchool For This Useful Post:

Karl (02-12-2020),Kodiak (02-12-2020)

Thread Information