User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: construction of the analog self

Alumni Member & VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassRecommendation First ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 47.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Retiredat50 View Post
    Interesting, I enjoyed reading about compactifcation.

But, I offer a different view, and that is Zen. It is not a religious approach, although some make it so...

I really like this article.

How to Master the Art of Living : zen habits

"Imagine you had a gorgeous blueberry sitting on the otherwise empty plate in front of you. You pick it up gently, place it on your tongue, and begin to taste it.

You already know how a blueberry tastes, and so when this one is a bit riper than you’d like, you make a face, feel the disappointment, swallow it with displeasure.

Or perhaps it tastes exactly as you’d expected: no big deal. You swallow, and move on with your day.

In the first case, the blueberry was disappointing because it didn’t meet expectations. In the second, it was boring because it met expectations.

Now try this: have no expectations of how the blueberry will taste. You don’t know because you haven’t tried it yet. You’re curious, open to a variety of tastes.

You taste it, and really pay attention. You notice the tanginess, the firmness of the skin, the sweet mushiness of the center, the complex flavors that emerge as you eat it. You didn’t know how it would taste, but this is brilliant! It’s new, because you’ve never tasted anything quite like it.

This is sometimes called the Beginner’s Mind, but I think of it as a mind free of expectations.

The blueberry, of course, can be anything in life: any experience, any person you meet, any cup of tea, any task before you, any interaction with a loved one, any thought that enters your head, any moment of the day.

If you approach any of these with expectations, they will often disappoint or frustrate you … or be bland, blah, usual. And you move on to the next disappointing or frustration or usual experience, and so on, so that life is nothing but a series of things you barely like and barely notice.

If you approach each moment, each task, each person, without expectations … and just see that moment or person as they are … then you will really see that moment. Really appreciate it. Experience it like you’ve never experienced anything before, because you haven’t.

This is the Art of Living."

"Each moment: As we enter each new moment, we

• expect things from it. We want it to be fun, amazing, productive, according to plan. And of course each moment has its own plan, and will be its own thing. So we are not happy with it. Instead, we can drop the expectations and just see the moment as it is. Just experience it, noticing, appreciating, being grateful. This is mastery.

This is just the start. We can learn that plans, goals, ideals … these are all fantasies of what we’d like life to be like, and they’re not real. We can learn to let go of the fantasies that inevitably occur, and just experience life as it is, as it happens.
    This is the Art of Living."
    Now this, I can relate to. It's not easy to reach the state of "enjoy the moment with no expectation" .......but I've done it on many occasions throughout my life and it is an incredible feeling.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jen For This Useful Post:

Retiredat50 (02-06-2020)

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 24.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    I can only come up within a few feet of understanding these posts.... there is rudimentary understanding but it stops there. Interesting, though. I like this sort of thing that's just sort of beyond my reach.
    But this is "you", you live this.

The main thing is, the clock goes tick tick tick, by definition it goes from past to future one tick at a time.

But your awareness, your analog self, your "I" that continues from one moment to the next, experiences time in the opposite direction. Things begin in the future, you experience them "now", and eventually they become the past.

So I tried to show how this "reversal" is done.

Which is the cool geometry, but the next question is "how does the future get generated" - so in other words, let's say you react in surprise to an event and your brain gets the P300 and suddenly you're undergoing some cognitive process that fills your head with "possibilities" while you're considering what to do with the new information.

So these "possibilities", they have to come from somewhere - usually it's memory. Your brain does a search kinda like "what has this meant in the past", and so you end up with, it might mean A, or it might mean B... and so on. And, there could also be a cleverness component, so "while" you're pulling from memory you're doing some quick calculations to build additional possibilities.

You "experience" all this, it becomes part of your "consciousness".

The point being, that you're "aware of" both stuff that flows in the same direction as physical time, and stuff that flows in the opposite direction.

So like, in our physical world, time only goes one way and we have "causality", but in our brains there is a symmetric process that is able to project backwards into a "desired" state and make it happen.

Don't worry, it's beyond my reach too. lol

I've been scratching my head for 30 years thinking about this, and it finally dawned on me (the light bulb moment ha ha) that if you can make the analog self look out in the opposite direction you're home free as far as the rest of the math.

It's pretty cool stuff, the best part of it is it's "measurable", in theory we should be able to verify this experimentally instead of just in a computer simulation.
    Last edited by nonsqtr; 02-06-2020 at 02:48 PM.

Alumni Member & VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassRecommendation First ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 47.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nonsqtr View Post
    But this is "you", you live this.

The main thing is, the clock goes tick tick tick, by definition it goes from past to future one tick at a time.

But your awareness, your analog self, your "I" that continues from one moment to the next, experiences time in the opposite direction. Things begin in the future, you experience them "now", and eventually they become the past.

So I tried to show how this "reversal" is done.

Which is the cool geometry, but the next question is "how does the future get generated" - so in other words, let's say you react in surprise to an event and your brain gets the P300 and suddenly you're undergoing some cognitive process that fills your head with "possibilities" while you're considering what to do with the new information.

So these "possibilities", they have to come from somewhere - usually it's memory. Your brain does a search kinda like "what has this meant in the past", and so you end up with, it might mean A, or it might mean B... and so on. And, there could also be a cleverness component, so "while" you're pulling from memory you're doing some quick calculations to build additional possibilities.

You "experience" all this, it becomes part of your "consciousness".

The point being, that you're "aware of" both stuff that flows in the same direction as physical time, and stuff that flows in the opposite direction.

So like, in our physical world, time only goes one way and we have "causality", but in our brains there is a symmetric process that is able to project backwards into a "desired" state and make it happen.

Don't worry, it's beyond my reach too. lol

I've been scratching my head for 30 years thinking about this, and it finally dawned on me (the light bulb moment ha ha) that if you can make the analog self look out in the opposite direction you're home free as far as the rest of the math.

It's pretty cool stuff, the best part of it is it's "measurable", in theory we should be able to verify this experimentally instead of just in a computer simulation.
    Now this explanation I can understand and sort of grasp. I figure if I keep reading..... I will inch closer to understanding. That's all I can hope for.

Thread Information