User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is Mike Pence preparing to resign, assume the Presidency or both?

VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entrySocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 41.0%

Thanks

Is Mike Pence preparing to resign, assume the Presidency or both?

Is Mike Pence preparing to resign, assume the presidency, or both?

BY DOUGLAS MACKINNON, OPINION CONTRIBUTOR — 01/18/20 12:00 PM EST

Since his selection as Donald Trump’s running mate, many people believe that Mike Pence has been mired in the throes of PTSD — in this case, an acronym for “President Trump Stress Disorder.”
    That is not to say that the vice president does not strongly support the president. He most certainly does. It’s just that Pence also seems to have a terminal case of whiplash as he snaps his head around time and again to witness the next shoe dropping, about or from the president.
    Pence is the poster child of a reserved, traditional, button-down politician. Trump at times appears to consider these traits a weakness, counter to the persona he needs to push to protect his name, policies and legacy against the entrenched elites in the mainstream media and political parties who have sought to take him down since day one.

Connected Republicans in Washington and in Indiana — Pence’s home state, where he was governor and a U.S. House member — have told me that they wonder if the never-ending drip, drip, drip of current events combined with this contrast in style, temperament and judgment between the two leaders is wearing down the vice president.
    The fact is, no vice president in recent memory has had to deal with the daily uncertainty that swirls around Pence: the impeachment of his boss, the barrage of investigations, the accusations against Trump and partisan investigations.
    And those on the left, in the “Never Trump” world, still openly salivate at the thought of somehow removing the president via the 25th Amendment. Were that political pipe dream ever to come about, Pence would become our 46th president.
    Except, add to the mix of these challenging scenarios the fact that there is open talk among some Republicans that unless Pence is replaced by someone else of stature — such as frequently mentioned former U.N. Ambassador Nikki Haley — Trump may well be the last Republican president for the foreseeable future.
    Aside from that stinging rebuke from within the entrenched GOP establishment, you have the left’s continual attacks upon Pence — some of them truly despicable, involving his faith, his family and personal life.

Through that darkening fog of chaos, criticism and uncertainty, the process of presidential succession flashes like a neon sign on steroids. It’s a process that duty and reality have forced Pence to focus upon.
    The U.S. Constitution spells it out simply in Article II, Section 1, Clause 6: “In Case of the Removal of the President from Office, or his Death, Resignation, or Inability to discharge the Powers and Duties of the said Office, the same shall devolve on the Vice President.”
    Leaving aside that his boss is only the third U.S. president to face an impeachment trial, Pence undoubtedly knew long before that burst of partisan revenge that nine vice presidents have been elevated to the Office of President because of a president’s death or resignation. From the start, Pence, like any vice president, had only one real job: For the good of the nation, he must be prepared to step into the presidency immediately. That is Politics 101.
    Now, Pence is navigating something dramatically removed from the basics — a world where meetings behind closed doors, whispered conversations, promised new positions and suspect loyalties are the norm. It’s an atmosphere you’d expect to find created by murder mystery author Agatha Christie or Italian diplomat Niccolo Machiavelli more so than our Founding Fathers.
    For three years, Pence also has served as president of the Senate, and he knows all about those closed-door meetings, whispered conversations and changing loyalties. More than that, he understands that precisely because of his roles, he is far from an impartial observer. Pence is one heartbeat — or one conviction — away from the presidency and realizes that, like it or not, he is standing at the edge of making history.

Several years ago, I had the honor of meeting then-Gov. Pence at a private home in Florida, where we spoke at some length over a cup of coffee. He came across as advertised: kind, respectful, dignified, decent and highly informed.
    The cliché tells us that “nice guys finish last.” Mike Pence is indeed a nice guy, yet one who knows how to survive the often brutal political arena. With the Senate trial — and more cracks appearing and then being patched in the foundation of solidarity beneath Trump — Pence knows that more whispered conversations are taking place.
    Some are wondering whether all of this will cause Pence to decline to serve as vice president in a second Trump term. They believe Pence has no chance to be elected president on his own and that, sometime after the Senate trial, he will opt for a private sector life of normalcy, family and faith. Should that be the case, who could fault him?
    Douglas MacKinnon, a political and communications consultant, was a writer in the White House for Presidents Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush, and former special assistant for policy and communications at the Pentagon during the last three years of the Bush administration.

Last edited by Garden House Queen; 01-19-2020 at 05:51 PM.

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Overall activity: 3.0%

Thanks
    Pure speculation with a negative slant.

While, in politics these days, anything is possible, I doubt VP Pence is going anywhere.

Jim
    "Need" now means wanting someone else's (taxpayer) money. "Greed" means wanting to keep your own profit. "Compassion" is when a politician arranges the transfer. - Joseph Sobran

3. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Jim Scott For This Useful Post:

Captain Kirk! (01-19-2020),darroll (01-19-2020),East of the Beast (01-19-2020),FNguy (01-19-2020),Garden House Queen (01-19-2020),HawkTheSlayer (01-19-2020),Jen (01-19-2020),Kodiak (01-19-2020),Lone Gunman (01-19-2020),Madison (01-19-2020),Northern Rivers (01-19-2020),Old Ridge Runner (01-20-2020),pollycy (01-20-2020),RMNIXON (01-19-2020),teeceetx (01-19-2020)

50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 17.0%

Thanks
    Pence will resign and Trump will appoint Ellen DeGeneres as VP
    "You can get a lot further with a kind word and a gun
    Then you can get with just a kind word"

"Al Capone"

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Felix Birdbiter For This Useful Post:

2cent (01-19-2020),HawkTheSlayer (01-19-2020),Kodiak (01-19-2020),nonsqtr (01-20-2020)

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Overall activity: 38.0%

Thanks
    Come on...

50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 17.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    Come on...
    Last edited by Dr. Felix Birdbiter; 01-19-2020 at 06:10 PM.
    "You can get a lot further with a kind word and a gun
    Then you can get with just a kind word"

"Al Capone"

50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 47.0%

Thanks
    Pence for sure, is fatigued. But the man has been an utter rock through it all. I'd really hate to see him bail at this point. It's worth hanging in till the end.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to teeceetx For This Useful Post:

Old Ridge Runner (01-20-2020)

50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassCreated Blog entryVeteran
    Overall activity: 36.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Scott View Post

While, in politics these days, anything is possible, I doubt VP Pence is going anywhere.

Jim
    Absolutely! The media scum have no insight as to what is going on in Pence's head or how difficult or easy his job is. In other words, media bullshit.

If progressives were any more stupid, they would need to be watered twice a week

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Captain Kirk! For This Useful Post:

2cent (01-19-2020),DMK (01-19-2020),FNguy (01-19-2020),Jim Scott (01-19-2020),Lone Gunman (01-19-2020),Madison (01-19-2020),Old Ridge Runner (01-20-2020)

Venator Forum Donor Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialTagger First Class1 year registered
    Overall activity: 47.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kirk! View Post
    Absolutely! The media scum have no insight as to what is going on in Pence's head or how difficult or easy his job is. In other words, media bullshit.
    sounds like one of nancy pelousy's fantasies, to me.

pence resigns, trump's impeached, botox nan slides into the driver's seat and suspends elections for the foreseeable future pending an lengthy investigation into irregularities and interference in the 2016 presidential election.

oh, and appoints hillary klintoon to the supreme court and drafts illbrain o-merde as vice president, just for the lulz.
    Μολών λαβέ

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lone Gunman For This Useful Post:

2cent (01-19-2020),Captain Kirk! (01-19-2020)

VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranCreated Blog entry
    Awards:
    Downloads
    Overall activity: 28.0%

Thanks
    There was talk earlier that Pence would step down after the 1st term to give way to Nicki Halle(sp). Wouldn't having a woman as VP for Trump stir up some good hysteria over on the left? I've got nothing negative to say about Pence, other then I'm a little miffed that Trump had picked a straight laced guy like him in the first place.
    'Any man under thirty who is not a liberal has no heart, and
    any man over thirty who is not a conservative has no brains.'

'Radicalism is a privilege of youth, conservatism a responsibility of age,
    and every thinking person eventually surrenders the first for the second.'

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Libhater For This Useful Post:

Garden House Queen (01-19-2020),Lone Gunman (01-19-2020),Northern Rivers (01-19-2020)

50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassSocial1 year registered
    Overall activity: 12.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Scott View Post

Jim
    Yup. Making stuff up is what "journalists" do anymore.
    "They Are Not After Me, They Are After You. I'm just in the way." -- Donald Trump 2-19-19 response to democrats' absurd impeachment.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lummy For This Useful Post:

Jim Scott (01-20-2020),Lone Gunman (01-19-2020),Old Ridge Runner (01-20-2020)

Thread Information