User Tag List

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast

Thread: Flood the zone with shit: How misinformation overwhelmed our democracy

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class3 months registered
    Overall activity: 32.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Calypso Jones View Post
    Yes. I think this really developed during the Clinton admin.
    Right around when Windows 95 first appeared and that is when everyone started to purchase a PC and started surfing the web.

Some years ago I saw two old geezers on C-Span who were part of the DARPA team who invented the internet during the late 1960's for the military, in particular the U.S. Air Force so they could communicate with ICBM missile silos during a nuclear exchange.

Both said in hindsight they wished the military would have kept the internet classified after seeing how the internet has dumbed down society.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to APACHERAT For This Useful Post:

Brat (01-18-2020),Conservative Libertarian (01-18-2020),darroll (01-19-2020),NORAD (01-18-2020)

Stalking Santa in 2020 V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 34.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by brat View Post
    and that's another thing. Leftist and communist links rarely even get looked at here; go find articles that aren't from msm.

Eta: @norad beat me to it.
    tie!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NORAD For This Useful Post:

Brat (01-18-2020),Conservative Libertarian (01-18-2020)

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialTagger First ClassOverdriveVeteran
    Overall activity: 11.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by anna View Post
    “Flood the zone with shit”: How misinformation overwhelmed our democracy

We live in a media ecosystem that overwhelms people with information. Some of that information is accurate, some of it is bogus, and much of it is intentionally misleading. The result is a polity that has increasingly given up on finding out the truth. As Sabrina Tavernise and Aidan Gardiner put it in a New York Times piece, “people are numb and disoriented, struggling to discern what is real in a sea of slant, fake, and fact.” This is partly why an earth-shattering historical event like a president’s impeachment has done very little to move public opinion.

The core challenge we’re facing today is information saturation and a hackable media system. If you follow politics at all, you know how exhausting the environment is. The sheer volume of content, the dizzying number of narratives and counternarratives, and the pace of the news cycle are too much for anyone to process.

One response to this situation is to walk away and tune everything out. After all, it takes real effort to comb through the bullshit, and most people have busy lives and limited bandwidth. Another reaction is to retreat into tribal allegiances.There’s Team Liberal and Team Conservative, and pretty much everyone knows which side they’re on. So you stick to the places that feed you the information you most want to hear. . . .

We’re in an age of manufactured nihilism.

The issue for many people isn’t exactly a denial of truth as such. It’s more a growing weariness over the process of finding the truth at all. And that weariness leads more and more people to abandon the idea that the truth is knowable.

I call this “manufactured” because it’s the consequence of a deliberate strategy. It was distilled almost perfectly by Steve Bannon, the former head of Breitbart News and chief strategist for Donald Trump. “The Democrats don’t matter,” Bannon reportedly said in 2018. “The real opposition is the media. And the way to deal with them is to flood the zone with shit.”

This idea isn’t new, but Bannon articulated it about as well as anyone can. The press ideally should sift fact from fiction and give the public the information it needs to make enlightened political choices. If you short-circuit that process by saturating the ecosystem with misinformation and overwhelm the media’s ability to mediate, then you can disrupt the democratic process.

What we’re facing is a new form of propaganda that wasn’t really possible until the digital age. And it works not by creating a consensus around any particular narrative but by muddying the waters so that consensus isn’t achievable.

Bannon’s political objective is clear. As he explained in a 2017 Conservative Political Action Conference talk, he sees Trump as a stick of dynamite with which to blow up the status quo. So “flooding the zone” is a means to that end. But more generally, creating widespread cynicism about the truth and the institutions charged with unearthing it erodes the very foundation of liberal democracy. Andthe strategy is working.

What flooding the zone actually means

For most of recent history, the goal of propaganda was to reinforce a consistent narrative. But zone-flooding takes a different approach: It seeks to disorient audiences with an avalanche of competing stories.

And it produces a certain nihilism in which people are so skeptical about the possibility of finding the truth that they give up the search. The fact that 60 percent of Americans say they encounter conflicting reports about the same event is an example of what I mean. In the face of such confusion, it’s not surprising that less than half the country trusts what they read in the press.

Bannon articulated the zone-flooding philosophy well, but he did not invent it. In our time, it was pioneered by Vladimir Putin in post-Soviet Russia. Putin uses the media to engineer a fog of disinformation, producing just enough distrust to ensure that the public can never mobilize around a coherent narrative.

There's more at the link, it's well worth the read.

I used to be a conservative, and there are some things in conservatism that still matter to me, a lot. And what bothers me a lot, as someone who grew up in the Cold War, appreciates Whittaker Chambers (he wrote Witness) and distrusts the ex-KGB Putin, is how much it doesn't bother Trump's base won't even consider the idea that Russia is undermining our stability for its own purposes, and isn't even hiding what they're doing.

I'd be interested in talking with anyone who genuinely would like a conversation about these ideas, the ones brought up in the editorial about manufactured crisis, about false narratives exploding across social media and never being debunked because of the sheer overload, or anything related, like how the GOP I used to belong to would never in a million years trust Putin.

So much information out there is false - the Uranium One controversy was nothing, yet it persists even now, even though Trump's own administration has had to conclude there's no "there" there. It'll never die though, because it feeds the narrative it was meant to feed to the people it was meant to influence.

Does the right care that it's being fed false information? Because it appears to me that it doesn't care as long as it maintains power. Might makes right, etc.

I'd care if I was being fed false information. And sometimes, on other sites, I can read something and know they're making a mountain out of a molehill. I can see it, and dismiss it as hyperbole or misrepresentation. But do you, anyone who cares to respond on the right, do you ever read something at Breitbart or Conservative Treehouse or Gateway Pundit or wherever - and ask yourself if what you're reading is true, and try to verify it through other sources?
    Your the American Gruber was speaking of .

Should I go on Ms Ex Conservative and bring on Lois Lerner statements ? How about pompous Jim Comey and a litany of hearings your new found friends have tried to broadcast against Americans that elected this president -Wal-Shoppers and Deplorables among them .
    Kind of strange that you claim to have switched over because you saw the " light ", isn't it .
    e236cd78027740d5e427922bc636826f.jpg

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Daily Bread For This Useful Post:

Brat (01-18-2020),Conservative Libertarian (01-18-2020),memesofine (01-18-2020)

Proud Boomer/V.I.P. Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialTagger First Class1 year registered
    Overall activity: 16.0%

Thanks
    As for me, I never read walls of text or links from nasty sources.

Did you read the Mission Statement yet?
    Last edited by Brat; 01-18-2020 at 01:20 PM.
    Unwavering support of my President, Donald J Trump

~Shower the people you love with love~

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Brat For This Useful Post:

Conservative Libertarian (01-18-2020),Daily Bread (01-18-2020),darroll (01-19-2020),memesofine (01-18-2020)

50000 Experience PointsSocialTagger First ClassOverdriveVeteran
    Overall activity: 11.0%

Thanks
    Ms Anna appears to be here on a mission .

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Daily Bread For This Useful Post:

Brat (01-18-2020),Conservative Libertarian (01-18-2020),darroll (01-19-2020),memesofine (01-18-2020)

Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 38.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by anna View Post
    That wasn't an insult, it was a valid observation. Just read back through the responses to the OP. Feel free to be the first to make a difference.
    You just got busted in the other thread.

You got your claims of innocence handed back to you on a silver platter (more like pushed up your backside, if you'll pardon the expression).

Looks like YOU are the one trying to flood this forum with disinformation.

Go tell your masters how full of shit they are.

Then REMOVE them.

Then get back to me.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nonsqtr For This Useful Post:

Abbey1 (01-18-2020),Brat (01-18-2020),Conservative Libertarian (01-18-2020),Daily Bread (01-18-2020),memesofine (01-18-2020),NORAD (01-18-2020)

V.I.P. V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranSocial

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative Libertarian View Post
    The OP should find credible news sources. They do exist.
    No kidding, posting off of VOX is nothing but pure BS propaganda.

but it's ok if the left spreads lies and smears people. Pheeesh. I don't need some leftist site preaching to me. They should take their own bs AND choke on it.
    Yep that's why the sleeping Giant of Americans got rid of that thug Obama and his commie hand picked witch Hillary in a pant suit and put in PRESIDENT TRUMP.
    And what gets me is these freaking Libs/Democommie cult members truly believe THEY ARE THE MAJORITY when WE JUST PROVED THEM SO WRONG. I LMAO AT THEM

-------------------------------------------------------------------

DC is a cult of overpaid underachievers living the high life on the backs of the taxpayers.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to memesofine For This Useful Post:

Brat (01-18-2020),Conservative Libertarian (01-18-2020),Daily Bread (01-18-2020),nonsqtr (01-18-2020)

V.I.P. V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranSocial

Thanks
    You all notice how they DISMISS everything that is tied back to a Demcommie, Like the Uranium One? I guess they were a fly on the wall or something. but every little morsel that is spewed about President Trump is all: the truth and nothing but the truth. as if Russia hasn't been messing with us FOREVER now. and who was it who said this:

I'd say they are the ones who are tools/sheep. I don't need some ass coming on here and telling me I don't know what the fxxk I'm talking about and doing by supporting President Trump.
    Yep that's why the sleeping Giant of Americans got rid of that thug Obama and his commie hand picked witch Hillary in a pant suit and put in PRESIDENT TRUMP.
    And what gets me is these freaking Libs/Democommie cult members truly believe THEY ARE THE MAJORITY when WE JUST PROVED THEM SO WRONG. I LMAO AT THEM

-------------------------------------------------------------------

DC is a cult of overpaid underachievers living the high life on the backs of the taxpayers.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to memesofine For This Useful Post:

Brat (01-18-2020),Conservative Libertarian (01-18-2020),Daily Bread (01-18-2020),HawkTheSlayer (01-18-2020),NORAD (01-18-2020)

look at the stars Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class1 year registered
    Overall activity: 13.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nonsqtr View Post
    You just got busted in the other thread.
    You got your claims of innocence handed back to you on a silver platter (more like pushed up your backside, if you'll pardon the expression).
    Looks like YOU are the one trying to flood this forum with disinformation.
    Go tell your masters how full of shit they are.
    Then REMOVE them.
    Then get back to me.
    I have no idea what you're talking about, thanks for not adding to the conversation though.

Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 38.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by memesofine View Post
    No kidding, posting off of VOX is nothing but pure BS propaganda.

but it's ok if the left spreads lies and smears people. Pheeesh. I don't need some leftist site preaching to me. They should take their own bs AND choke on it.
    Yeah, no kidding. The BULLSHIT from the left is really starting to piss me off.

I'm a pussycat, I don't bother no one.

But goddammit, if you force me to fight I'm going to become your worst nightmare.

I don't believe in fighting "nice". I believe in Sun Tzu, I believe in removing the threat from the battlefield as quickly and efficiently as possible.

These antifa clowns are amateurs, they're hostile morons. Believe me, they DONT want real Americans to get involved, because they're cowards, they're gonna run like two bit playground bullies when the real fight begins.

We're gonna see how the left reacts when President Trump gets re-elected.

If we make it that far.

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nonsqtr For This Useful Post:

Abbey1 (01-18-2020),Brat (01-18-2020),Conservative Libertarian (01-18-2020),memesofine (01-18-2020),tiny1 (01-18-2020)

Thread Information