User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why the Confederacy Lives

Games People Play Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteranCreated Blog entryTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 87.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Tex View Post
    Does anyone know how certain southerners got labeled as 'Rednecks'?

Po' white trash, workin' in the fields - as slavedrivers or as sharecroppers.

A lot of the white Southern population were, whiter than white - Irish or Dutch, with some French pockets (the Cajuns). But, if you want to see some serious sunburn, put a white-blond Dutchman in the Southern sun for 14 hours, with no sunscreen.

A lot of these Dutch immigrants found themselves doing work no one else would do - including, supahvisin the nigras outtin tha fields. FWIW, that's where the ghetto argot came from - African slaves, off the boats, not speaking English; and the only people talking to them were Dutch slavemasters, who themselves barely spoke English.

So you wind up with English with a Dutch accent, overlaid with an African tribal accent.

And one thing that separated the white trash who worked in the fields, with the planters and their belles...was the harsh permanent sunburn on the neck. In church, no matter how well they dressed...you knew who they were.

By their red necks.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JustPassinThru For This Useful Post:

Kris P Bacon (01-07-2020)

Fossil nut/Alumni/VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialTagger First ClassRecommendation First Class1 year registeredCreated Album pictures
    Overall activity: 33.0%

Thanks
    Last edited by Kris P Bacon; 01-07-2020 at 04:38 PM.
    Yep, I'd wrap that in bacon! KEEP AMERICA GREAT, TRUMP 2020
    Report illegal aliens, call ICE @ 1-866-DHS-2ICE (347-2423)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kris P Bacon For This Useful Post:

Daily Bread (01-07-2020)

V.I.P. V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points3 months registered
    Overall activity: 6.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Calypso Jones View Post
    well. That is a pretty accurate article even if five years ago and if anything....it is growing.
    How is the historical implications of the old Confederate states growing in nostalgia or anything else, when statues of Robert E. Lee; Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson and other prominent leaders of that war are being removed from buildings, public squares, stadiums, etc.?

Unless one studied this conflict historically, or as a hobby, the one thing most people miss about the subject is the fact that Congress declared every participant in the military, on both the Union and Confederate side, as military veterans of the United States of America. The libs keep trying to eliminate the Southern faction.

The Confederate Flag has a duel purpose. It identifies a geographical and cultural part and past of America of Southern roots origin, and unfortunately, it is highly offensive to the American Black community, because it was under this flag that the KKK and the Southern bigoted, murdering Sheriff's and other law enforcement, operated in upholding the Jim Crow laws against Blacks for over a century.

That the Confederacy is remembered and honored by citizens of the South, nothing particularly wrong with that, but the flag antagonizes people.

Stan

Fossil nut/Alumni/VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialTagger First ClassRecommendation First Class1 year registeredCreated Album pictures
    Overall activity: 33.0%

Thanks
    What's on your wall? IMG_20200108_044800.jpg
    Yep, I'd wrap that in bacon! KEEP AMERICA GREAT, TRUMP 2020
    Report illegal aliens, call ICE @ 1-866-DHS-2ICE (347-2423)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kris P Bacon For This Useful Post:

Daily Bread (01-09-2020)

death rides a pale horse Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entry1 year registeredYour first Group
    Overall activity: 42.0%

Thanks
    a blanket
    sic semper tyrannis

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation Second ClassTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 46.0%

Oaxaca, Mexico, for over twenty years. Born and raised in Memphis, TN, and worked in Colorado.
    Thanks
    A. I remember the Confederacy because I grew up during Reconstruction in one of the occupied states.
    B. In school now children are taught to hate America but when I was in grammar school we went to the Hotel Peabody and saw the damage on the staircase. The teacher said, "That's where a Yankee major rode his horse up the stairs hitting the banister with his sword. That's what Yankees are like."
    C. Just twenty years ago I visited my parents in an assisted-living facility in Nashville, Tennessee. I was out having a cigarette and started chatting with a woman who worked there and smoked. I learned her husband had gotten a good job with a computer company and he had moved with his wife and son to Nashville three months before. I asked how she liked it. "I hate it. Everyone here is racist."

The first thing I said was, "If you were having a cigarette in New York City, how long would it be before a white man struck up a conversation?" She thought a moment, laughed, and said, "He would speak to me unless he thought I was a hooker."

"I don't think the problem is racism. The problem is you're a yankee. And not just a yankee but a New York City Yankee."

She thought a moment, laughed some more and said, "Maybe that's it. My neighbors don't like me and they're all black."

So, I started drilling her on saying, "Mornin', ya'all."

D. And there is also the fact that the Federal government has been getting more and more tyrannical.
    Last edited by patrickt; 01-08-2020 at 09:40 AM.

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassSocial1 year registered
    Overall activity: 17.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
    A. I remember the Confederacy because I grew up during Reconstruction in one of the occupied states.

Shoot, you must be older'n dirt.

B. In school now children are taught to hate America but when I was in grammar school we went to the Hotel Peabody and saw the damage on the staircase. The teacher said, "That's where a Yankee major rode his horse up the stairs hitting the banister with his sword. That's what Yankees are like."

Ought'a learnt'em good. Achhh-pitewey.

C. Just twenty years ago I visited my parents in an assisted-living facility in Nashville, Tennessee. I was out having a cigarette and started chatting with a woman who worked there and smoked. I learned her husband had gotten a good job with a computer company and he had moved with his wife and son to Nashville three months before. I asked how she liked it. "I hate it. Everyone here is racist." The first thing I said was, "If you were having a cigarette in New York City, how long would it be before a white man struck up a conversation?" She thought a moment, laughed, and said, "He would speak to me unless he thought I was a hooker."

True fact right there.

"I don't think the problem is racism. The problem is you're a yankee. And not just a yankee but a New York City Yankee."

True fact agin. They're the worst. Achhh-pitewey.
    "They Are Not After Me, They Are After You. I'm just in the way." -- Donald Trump 2-19-19 response to democrats' absurd impeachment.

50000 Experience PointsSocialTagger First ClassOverdriveVeteran
    Overall activity: 67.0%

Thanks
    This New York City Yankee has a big beautiful silk stars and bars on my wall and and when my son brought his truck he had that flag on a banner attached to the cab and had absolutely no problems driving around town with it , and he's not the only one . I'm not sure how blacks feel about that flag nor do I care . What I can say is that in most white NY neighborhoods nobody took slight to displaying that flag until some groups made issues of it a few years back and like everywhere else the few squeaky wheels got the attention and the weak that have no clue or backbone cave in and agree with the flavor of the month .
    I look at that flag as the sweat of some truly heroic Southern kids that fought in a war against another group of equally heroic Northern kids . Race has nothing to do with it and that's something some elitist whites labeled it because they needed a symbol to tie it to . It could have been Eli Whitney's cotton gin because that ,in reality, put the African cotton pickers out of work .
    The flag is history and has absolutely nothing to do with the plight of blacks but all to do with the courage and stamina of Americas will to fight for what it believes .

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daily Bread For This Useful Post:

Kodiak (01-13-2020),Kris P Bacon (01-10-2020)

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class1 year registered
    Overall activity: 0%

Thanks
    You see the battle flag all over Pennsylvania as well; it's as popular there as anywhere in the South. As any real student of American history knows, it was about the tariffs, the Homestead Acts, and the corporate welfare for railroads, not slavery; in fact Lincoln's faction lost votes and barely held on in the 1862 mid-terms because many who voted for him earlier suspected he was making slavery the issue, and not the white nationalist platforms the Republicans ran on, keeping the midwest and the new territories free of black labor and black people in the South. Lincoln's real plan was to keep them on the plantations, only working for wages since they were 'free'; he even set their wages at $2-$3 a month ... We know this because that's what they did in the southern states they captured, and the surplus labor that couldn't be used on the government farms were crammed into 'property camps' and left to die of disease and starvation; no way they were going to let these 'freed slaves' swarm north. Lincoln was simply a white nationalist and a railroad lawyer looking out for big business and their interests.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Oberon For This Useful Post:

2cent (01-13-2020)

50000 Experience PointsSocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranTagger Second ClassCreated Blog entry
    Overall activity: 69.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    You see the battle flag all over Pennsylvania as well; it's as popular there as anywhere in the South. As any real student of American history knows, it was about the tariffs, the Homestead Acts, and the corporate welfare for railroads, not slavery; in fact Lincoln's faction lost votes and barely held on in the 1862 mid-terms because many who voted for him earlier suspected he was making slavery the issue, and not the white nationalist platforms the Republicans ran on, keeping the midwest and the new territories free of black labor and black people in the South. Lincoln's real plan was to keep them on the plantations, only working for wages since they were 'free'; he even set their wages at $2-$3 a month ... We know this because that's what they did in the southern states they captured, and the surplus labor that couldn't be used on the government farms were crammed into 'property camps' and left to die of disease and starvation; no way they were going to let these 'freed slaves' swarm north. Lincoln was simply a white nationalist and a railroad lawyer looking out for big business and their interests.
    THANK YOU!

I can't believe how many people claim to know their history, while clinging to the notion that "Lincoln freed the slaves," and it was all Democrats who kept the black enslaved, and that's what the whole war was about.

NOTHING could be further from the truth! Aside from Democrats and Republicans being of a distinct different nature at the time, (they pretty well switched personalities along the way), the war was NOT fought over slavery.
    It was fought over the (then) Republicans trying to enslave the South. Just as you say, with their tariffs, and controlling over to just who, and which countries, the South could sell their goods. England would give them a far better price for their textiles, but the South was denied the ability to do so, by law.
    The North, via Lincoln, and his miscreants, also thought they had some 'right' to take over the properties of men who slaved all their lives to build them. They broke so many Constitutionally protected rights - including the 5th - which nearly abandoned taking land without just compensation.

Our country died at Appomattox, for it was on that day that states' rights ended.
    This message has been hidden because CNN is on your ignore list.

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead.
    It is difficult only for the others.
    It is the same when you are stupid.

Thread Information