User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another knife question

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassCreated Blog entryVeteran
    Overall activity: 47.0%

Thanks

Another knife question

Does anyone have any experience with OTF (out the front) knives? I might grab one of them just because. I found one for about 130 dollars that has good reviews, but I don't know anything about them and I thought they were illegal, but they are not. The one I looked at was like this.

Don't really know if I'll get it but I'm just thinking about it. The cheaper ones are likely all cheap junk and this is about all I could justify spending on one. They claim a lifetime warranty also.
    Last edited by Captain Kirk!; 11-12-2019 at 05:05 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Captain Kirk! For This Useful Post:

Rutabaga (11-12-2019),teeceetx (11-12-2019)

Alumni Member & VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 15.0%

Thanks
    i have a couple,,more novelty than anything else...none of them have a spring strong enough to pierce a cardboard box, or tee shirt...but the're fun to use as letter openers etc.

they would not be my first choice for a knife...btw, you can file down the "stop" so they shoot out the front like in the movies...

but like everything in movies,,its greatly exaggerated..

automatics/switchblades are even legal in california with 3" blades and under...

i used a "double action" switch for years [double meaning you can use the hidden release or the thumb stud to open] as an electrician, still have 2...great knives, if you didnt know how to operate it, you would think it was just a reg. knife...[no button] you had to ever so slightly move the scale to release the spring blade...

Grindworx: Knives - Budget OTF, Automatics, Butterfly, Fixed ...
    Knives - Budget OTF, Automatics, Butterfly, Fixed, and More | Grindworx
    Shop our huge selection of all types of knives. Grindworx specializes in low cost knives that won't break the bank. We carry automatic knives, balisongs, fixed ...
    ‎Automatic Knives ‎Out-The-Front Automatics ‎Knives ‎Fixed Blade Knives
    Last edited by Rutabaga; 11-12-2019 at 05:16 PM.
    "The nose, knows"

@Auntifa,,,when the shooting starts, don't run, you'll only die tired...

#walkaway

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rutabaga For This Useful Post:

Big Dummy (11-12-2019),Captain Kirk! (11-12-2019)

50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Overall activity: 14.0%

Thanks
    Yeah they are commonly referred to as ‘auto’ knives. Most places they are legal to own but not legal to carry. You’ll have to check with your local laws to see if they will even ship it to you.

Yes the cheap ones are junk and more then that dangerous, but some of the mid priced ones are solid. You can find a good one in the $80 range but just make sure it’s from a reputable knife maker.

As far as owning them and using them, the gimmick soon wears off. Any good solid folder is just as good if not better.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Crusader For This Useful Post:

Big Bird (11-13-2019),Big Dummy (11-12-2019),Captain Kirk! (11-12-2019),Rutabaga (11-12-2019)

Alumni Member & VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranTagger First Class

Thanks
    remember laura croft, tomb raider?

she used a otf knife in that movie and they sold kits from the mfg. at bladeplay for $16..
    the kits required nothing more than assembly, no machining etc..pretty easy and showed you how they worked...it even told you what to file to let the blade fly...
    i got one, its as good as any...
    "The nose, knows"

@Auntifa,,,when the shooting starts, don't run, you'll only die tired...

#walkaway

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Rutabaga For This Useful Post:

Captain Kirk! (11-12-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rutabaga View Post
    i have a couple,,more novelty than anything else...none of them have a spring strong enough to pierce a cardboard box, or tee shirt...but the're fun to use as letter openers etc.

they would not be my first choice for a knife...btw, you can file down the "stop" so they shoot out the front like in the movies...

but like everything in movies,,its greatly exaggerated..

automatics/switchblades are even legal in california with 3" blades and under...

i used a "double action" switch for years [double meaning you can use the hidden release or the thumb stud to open] as an electrician, still have 2...great knives, if you didnt know how to operate it, you would think it was just a reg. knife...[no button] you had to ever so slightly move the scale to release the spring blade...

Grindworx: Knives - Budget OTF, Automatics, Butterfly, Fixed ...
    Knives - Budget OTF, Automatics, Butterfly, Fixed, and More | Grindworx
    Shop our huge selection of all types of knives. Grindworx specializes in low cost knives that won't break the bank. We carry automatic knives, balisongs, fixed ...
    ‎Automatic Knives ‎Out-The-Front Automatics ‎Knives ‎Fixed Blade Knives
    The reason I wouldn't mind having one is ease of use. From what I can tell none of them will pierce anything as it opens and the auto function is mostly for speed. I have had moments where I could not quite get my folder open with one hand, and while I don't plan on getting in any knife fights and carry a gun for the unthinkable, you just never know what is going to happen. Besides, Dirty Harry used one defensively!

And what's more, right after I get it I could sit here popping it open and closed and drive my wife bonkers!
    Last edited by Captain Kirk!; 11-12-2019 at 05:31 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Kirk! For This Useful Post:

Rutabaga (11-12-2019)

V.I.P. V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered

Thanks
    You'd be surprised, most of them are junk, particularly that cheap ass Chinese model you've posted. OTF knives are as a rule, extremely fragile and unreliable, that said there are some very good ones out there, alas few of them originate in China. The very best production OTF's are produced by Benchmade and they will set you back the price of a new Glock pistol, Microtech makes a decent one to, but at absolutely ridiculous mark-up, and they rarely come through for you on warranty work, or take months to hear back from! Benchmade is a different story, they are very good when it comes to standing by their stuff, that said Microtech makes the best OTF on the market in the HALO series, which are very large and very reliable. The reason they are so good is because they are single action fire only, you must manually reset the blade after firing it. Because of that, the lock up is much more secure vs the lock-up's on double action OTF blades. My advice, save yourself the money and spring for a Cold Steel 4-Max or its smaller brother the AD10, you can buy the 4-max off of amazon for $250.00 and the AD10 for around $150.00, either one of them is massively better then any Microtech or Benchmade OTF at any price...
    Online Wildlife Photography Gallery, Mostly Black Bear & Bald Eagles,https://chris-sarno.smugmug.com/
    Wisconsin DNR Bear Management, https://dnr.wi.gov/topic/WildlifeHab...s/bearplan.pdf

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Death-Ninja For This Useful Post:

Big Dummy (11-12-2019),Captain Kirk! (11-12-2019),Rutabaga (11-12-2019)

Social50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entry3 months registered
    Overall activity: 50.0%

Thanks
    Wetzle used his Uncle Henry to pin Girty to an oak tree by driving it through Girtys crotch into the tree.
    sic semper tyrannis

14. The Following User Says Thank You to jirqoadai For This Useful Post:

Rutabaga (11-12-2019)

British subject Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points31 days registered
    Overall activity: 40.0%

Thanks
    In Ww2 the German paratrooper carried a gravity knife. I’ve been trying to get one for a while, it appears America has most of then captured from the Germans.
    Some 1st edition are selling for $900 plus.
    These knives are the ultimate.

A-TeamA crack commando unit from Vietnam that was sent to prison in 1972 for a crime they did not commit. After promptly escaping from a maximum security stocade, they now survive as soldiers of fortune, still on the run from the military police. They work for anyone who is in need of help and are innocent, hard-working people trying to make a living, and will usually do the job for free, even though they are supposedly "hired."

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Neo For This Useful Post:

Captain Kirk! (11-12-2019),Crusader (11-12-2019),Rutabaga (11-12-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Death-Ninja View Post
    You'd be surprised, most of them are junk, particularly that cheap ass Chinese model you've posted. OTF knives are as a rule, extremely fragile and unreliable, that said there are some very good ones out there, alas few of them originate in China. The very best production OTF's are produced by Benchmade and they will set you back the price of a new Glock pistol, Microtech makes a decent one to, but at absolutely ridiculous mark-up, and they rarely come through for you on warranty work, or take months to hear back from! Benchmade is a different story, they are very good when it comes to standing by their stuff, that said Microtech makes the best OTF on the market in the HALO series, which are very large and very reliable. The reason they are so good is because they are single action fire only, you must manually reset the blade after firing it. Because of that, the lock up is much more secure vs the lock-up's on double action OTF blades. My advice, save yourself the money and spring for a Cold Steel 4-Max or its smaller brother the AD10, you can buy the 4-max off of amazon for $250.00 and the AD10 for around $150.00, either one of them is massively better then any Microtech or Benchmade OTF at any price...
    According to the company that sells it they are built in the USA.

VIP - vi et animo V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocial3 months registered
    Overall activity: 97.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    Yeah they are commonly referred to as ‘auto’ knives. Most places they are legal to own but not legal to carry. You’ll have to check with your local laws to see if they will even ship it to you.

Yes the cheap ones are junk and more then that dangerous, but some of the mid priced ones are solid. You can find a good one in the $80 range but just make sure it’s from a reputable knife maker.

As far as owning them and using them, the gimmick soon wears off. Any good solid folder is just as good if not better.
    This legal issue is very confusing, lets say it's legal to carry in town X. But, you might be driving through many towns. So some of the towns you drive through is legal and some towns you'e driving through it's not legal.

The other knife thread gave me the idea to search for certain knifes. I found this, don't know if the quality is good.

I noticed this knife, there are vids...https://www.budk.com/Schrade-OTF-Ass...-Blasted-24613

A politician thinks of the next election. A statesman, of the next generation.- James Freeman Clarke

19. The Following User Says Thank You to fortis For This Useful Post:

Captain Kirk! (11-12-2019)

Thread Information