User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: It is CHILI Season ! Why Your Favorite is the Best!

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger Second Class
    Overall activity: 51.0%

Thanks

It is CHILI Season ! Why Your Favorite is the Best!

I have been eating chili for ages, since I was a young kid basically. Mom would make it but it was just ok, nothing spectacular. Too many beans and huge hunks of tomatoes along with unimportant ingredients like celery. Now I know Mom was stretching the few dollars we had as kids so I ate it and never said a word.

Then I was on my own and experimented with different styles and types of Chile. I came to the conclusion that NO beans makes chili much better! You can place the good stuff that makes chili awesome in place of beans which makes chile more of a bean soup in my opinion.

I like to make the "2 Alarm" brand chili that is in a box. The only thing in the box is your packets of spices. As much or as little as your taste desires. You add what you like the way you like it.

Spread the cheer! Tell us what you like about your chili and your favorite!

I have also found that Longhorn Steakhouse Chili is tops in my book. Great flavor and texture and just a little heat. I love onions in the chili and the jalapenos that are added to the top. Sometimes when I go to Longhorn I get a bowl as an appetizer and a bowl along with my meal. After much searching, I have found Longhorn's recipe for chili.

LongHorn® Texas Chili

Servings: 4-6

Ingredients

• 2 lb. ground beef (75/25 blend)
    • 11/2 finely chopped onion
    • 1 tbsp. finely minced garlic
    • 1/4 c. chili powder
    • 11/4 dried oregano
    • 1/2 tsp. paprika
    • 1 tsp. ground cumin
    • 18 oz. can tomato sauce
    • 1 12 oz. beer (Shiner Bock) or your favorite flavor
    • 1/8 to 1 tsp. cayenne pepper, depending on desired heat level
    • 2 tbsp. masa flour
    • Salt to taste if needed

Directions

• Heat a heavy-bottom pot to med-high and cook the ground beef, stirring often until browned.
    • Add the onion and garlic. Cook briefly. Add the chili powder, oregano, paprika, cumin, tomato sauce, beer and salt to taste. Bring to a boil.
    • Cover and cook over very low heat for 1 hour.
    • Add the cayenne pepper, masa flour and cook for 30 minutes longer. As the chili cooks, skim the fat from the surface. Season with salt to taste.
    • Serve with favorite chips or cheese, if desired.

Texas Chili | Fall Grilling Recipes
    Last edited by Rickity Plumber; 11-07-2019 at 11:10 AM.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rickity Plumber For This Useful Post:

Brat (11-07-2019),darroll (11-07-2019),Foghorn (11-07-2019),Garden House Queen (11-07-2019),HawkTheSlayer (11-07-2019),RMNIXON (11-07-2019)

V.I.P. V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 46.0%

Thanks
    If you let it simmer too long you boil all the flavor out of pot, so timing is important.

Although we rarely have the time or foresight to do so, ideally you'd prepare it the day before and let it simmer about a half hour. Then put it in the fridge for the magic to happen. It will keep for several days.

------

In a pinch when on the road Wendy's chili is about the best quick fix in my opinion.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Foghorn For This Useful Post:

Brat (11-07-2019)

V.I.P V.I.P Achievements:
    Overall activity: 19.0%

Thanks
    First off I agree it IS THE SEASON FOR CHILI. Sadly I'm married to a yankee that that means unless I hint 5 or 6 time I get: rice hot dish, soup or stew. It took me 20 years but I've finally gotten butter beans & cornbread added to that list. So when I get in the mood for chili I have my old stand by Wolf Brand chili in the cabinet. I add onions, a squirt of mustard & a squirt of BBQ sauce to it & maybe crackers on the side.

I'll add one other major accomplishment that I've made with my wife. She no longer thinks "Barley soup" in the winter. Now I eat most anything if it's well done & never say anything bad about it. But barley soup? Save the water & feed the barley to birds that you don't like. I still have to suffer through that stuff once a year or if I'm lucky once every other year.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Old Tex For This Useful Post:

Brat (11-07-2019),Garden House Queen (11-07-2019),HawkTheSlayer (11-07-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Foghorn View Post
    If you let it simmer too long you boil all the flavor out of pot, so timing is important.

Although we rarely have the time or foresight to do so, ideally you'd prepare it the day before and let it simmer about a half hour. Then put it in the fridge for the magic to happen. It will keep for several days.

------

In a pinch when on the road Wendy's chili is about the best quick fix in my opinion.
    Yes, you bring up a great and very important point. Too much simmering and the flavor goes out the door and is replaced with a mild "burnt" taste. I have had that in my earlier younger days.

Overnight in the fridge is the best thing you can do for chili and other dishes such as spaghetti and pasta. The flavors meld together sitting there in the cold environment better than they do on the stove.

Thanks @Foghorn !

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rickity Plumber For This Useful Post:

Brat (11-07-2019),Foghorn (11-07-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Tex View Post
    First off I agree it IS THE SEASON FOR CHILI. Sadly I'm married to a yankee that that means unless I hint 5 or 6 time I get: rice hot dish, soup or stew. It took me 20 years but I've finally gotten butter beans & cornbread added to that list. So when I get in the mood for chili I have my old stand by Wolf Brand chili in the cabinet. I add onions, a squirt of mustard & a squirt of BBQ sauce to it & maybe crackers on the side.

I'll add one other major accomplishment that I've made with my wife. She no longer thinks "Barley soup" in the winter. Now I eat most anything if it's well done & never say anything bad about it. But barley soup? Save the water & feed the barley to birds that you don't like. I still have to suffer through that stuff once a year or if I'm lucky once every other year.

Your butter beans and corn pone are great together. Unfortunately I do not like butter beans but use a good baked bean in place of the butter bean. Bush's or B&M baked beans are two of my favorites.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rickity Plumber For This Useful Post:

Brat (11-07-2019),Foghorn (11-07-2019)

V.I.P V.I.P Achievements:
    Overall activity: 19.0%

Thanks
    I'll add a semi proud moment in my life. At a base we were at there was a chili cookoff contest. We won the best "MILD" chili award. That's because my wife stood between me (with peppers & seasoning in hand) & that chili. A Texan winning for mild chili. I was so ashamed!

Another FUNNY story: We were at an A.F. event at the Rec Camp. There was a chili cookoff. They tried to get me to be a judge. I've had chili at those things before & I passed BUT my wife didn't. Her stomach wasn't prepared for what Texan's consider "hot" chili. Afterward I never got her mouth, throat & stomach cooled down but I did get her drunk enough on beer that she didn't mind the volcano inside her as much. (wink).

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Old Tex For This Useful Post:

Brat (11-07-2019),Foghorn (11-07-2019),Rickity Plumber (11-07-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Tex View Post
    I'll add a semi proud moment in my life. At a base we were at there was a chili cookoff contest. We won the best "MILD" chili award. That's because my wife stood between me (with peppers & seasoning in hand) & that chili. A Texan winning for mild chili. I was so ashamed!

Another FUNNY story: We were at an A.F. event at the Rec Camp. There was a chili cookoff. They tried to get me to be a judge. I've had chili at those things before & I passed BUT my wife didn't. Her stomach wasn't prepared for what Texan's consider "hot" chili. Afterward I never got her mouth, throat & stomach cooled down but I did get her drunk enough on beer that she didn't mind the volcano inside her as much. (wink).

I envy a chili judge's job!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Rickity Plumber For This Useful Post:

Brat (11-07-2019)

V.I.P. V.I.P Achievements:
    Overall activity: 46.0%

Thanks
    Some of the best debates while drunk are over chili and over BBQ.

And the good news is everybody is right.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Foghorn For This Useful Post:

Brat (11-07-2019),darroll (11-07-2019)

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Overall activity: 14.0%

Thanks
    I love Skyline Chili even though it's not the same thing as regular chili.

Skyline.png

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wbslws View Post
    I love Skyline Chili even though it's not the same thing as regular chili.

Skyline.png

What's the dif? I never had Skyline. Why is not like "regular" chili?

Thread Information