User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Winter is Coming! (Soup Thread)

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 32.0%

Thanks
    Something I do with any of the soups I make that have a pasta element... I know a lot of people will not agree with this but, it is what i do.

For instance, take a minestrone soup, it has pasta as a somewhat main ingredient. I cook the pasta separate and do not add it to the soup. First, i do not like the starch from the pasta "clouding" up my broth. Second, the next day the pasta will have kept absorbing liquid and will have gone from al-dente to mushy, I hate, really hate mushy pasta.

So I keep them separate and when I want a bowl of soup I heat the soup and pour it over the pasta, works great for me. I know the arguement against it is that the pasta does not have a chance to absorb the flavors, but I see that as a positive. When eating the soup this way you have more flavor profiles that register and not just a melding of everything into one taste.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocial3 months registered
    Overall activity: 18.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Retiredat50 View Post
    Something I do with any of the soups I make that have a pasta element... I know a lot of people will not agree with this but, it is what i do.

For instance, take a minestrone soup, it has pasta as a somewhat main ingredient. I cook the pasta separate and do not add it to the soup. First, i do not like the starch from the pasta "clouding" up my broth. Second, the next day the pasta will have kept absorbing liquid and will have gone from al-dente to mushy, I hate, really hate mushy pasta.

So I keep them separate and when I want a bowl of soup I heat the soup and pour it over the pasta, works great for me. I know the arguement against it is that the pasta does not have a chance to absorb the flavors, but I see that as a positive. When eating the soup this way you have more flavor profiles that register and not just a melding of everything into one taste.
    Ditalini is the only pasta that I know that will stand up to use in soup.

For all other soup uses, I also add the noodles later.
    Scientist, Evangelical Christian - reformed, father, entrepreneur, hunter, outdoorsman, motorcyclist, Constitutional Conservative.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Physics Hunter For This Useful Post:

Retiredat50 (11-20-2019)

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocial3 months registered
    Overall activity: 18.0%

Thanks
    I have yet to find a good tortilla soup recipe that I love like the the side dish at Uncle Julio's restaurant. I want a recipe that is that good or better.
    Scientist, Evangelical Christian - reformed, father, entrepreneur, hunter, outdoorsman, motorcyclist, Constitutional Conservative.

Thread Information