User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: US Navy isnít ready to fight as it should

V.I.P. V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Overall activity: 27.0%

Thanks
    15 Carrier fleet in 3 years = not keeping up with China ( 20 Carrier fleet in 20 years )

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entrySocialVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 23.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by APACHERAT View Post
    So you served back when the U.S.Navy was in the war business.

Back then we had a 900 ship navy.

Today all four branches in the military are in the PC social engineering business.

I served in the Marines (69-71) and my MOS was 0849, a naval gunfire spotter and was pretty familiar with all of the classes of destroyers, cruisers and the Iowa class BB (New Jersey) that were on the gun line during the Vietnam War.

Participated in the last two amphibious assaults in Vietnam, Operation Bold Pursuit and Operation Defiant Stand and spent some time on the USS Valley Forge and the USS Iwo Jima.

Actually was able to watch from a 1/4 mile away the USS New Jersey fire a nine 16" gun broadside off of San Clemente Island and that was definitely an "E" ticket.

So which ships did you serve on Dr.Felix ?
    Mentioning the New Jersey brought back a short story I wrote about Vietnam, It's available to read free @ Ivy Two-Twenty-Two or the Soggy Patrol |

Would love to see some feedback.
    Saint Junipero Serra's Legacy - the untold stories of California
    A Soldier's Stories - Reports of news and interesting stuff

I proudly voted for President Trump!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sargentodiaz For This Useful Post:

APACHERAT (11-09-2019)

50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 34.0%

Thanks

Today all four branches in the military are in the PC social engineering business.

I served in the Marines (69-71) and my MOS was 0849, a naval gunfire spotter and was pretty familiar with all of the classes of destroyers, cruisers and the Iowa class BB (New Jersey) that were on the gun line during the Vietnam War.

Participated in the last two amphibious assaults in Vietnam, Operation Bold Pursuit and Operation Defiant Stand and spent some time on the USS Valley Forge and the USS Iwo Jima.

Actually was able to watch from a 1/4 mile away the USS New Jersey fire a nine 16" gun broadside off of San Clemente Island and that was definitely an "E" ticket.

@APACHERAT USS Mansfield (DD728). I was there 66-68 but I understand the Mansfield came back after I had left the ship. You very well may have spotted for her. We were known as "Jane's Fighting Ship" and "The Fastest Gun in West Pac. We fired over 40,000 rounds (and I felt like I carried every one of them!) over a two year period. We never knew what we were shooting at and most of us never knew exactly where we were unless we were North of the DMZ on Sea Dragon. I know we went into Da Nang Harbor once and up the Saigon River once but other than that we were "off the coast" somewhere!
    Last edited by Dr. Felix Birdbiter; 11-09-2019 at 09:45 AM.
    "You can get a lot further with a kind word and a gun
    Then you can get with just a kind word"

"Al Capone"

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Felix Birdbiter For This Useful Post:

APACHERAT (11-09-2019)

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class3 months registered
    Overall activity: 31.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sargentodiaz View Post
    Mentioning the New Jersey brought back a short story I wrote about Vietnam, It's available to read free @ Ivy Two-Twenty-Two or the Soggy Patrol |

Would love to see some feedback.
    Hey sergentodiaz, you might want to go back and reedit your story somewhat.

“Charley Three Alpha. This is Big Mo. We copy your Mayday. Please ID and give us coordinates.”
    Everyone knew who that was. The USS Missouri wrenched from her mothballs to add her massive guns to the fight against the Viet Cong and North Vietnamese regulars sailed not far offshore. Her massive sixteen-inch guns could hurl shells for more than twenty-five miles with deadly accuracy. Although they were in the mountains a little over twenty miles west of Qui Nhon, all prayed their possible savior could help...
    The USS Missouri was never on the gunline off of Vietnam, it was still in mothball.

Only the USS New Jersey was reactivated and served off the North and South Vietnam gunline and only did one tour of duty off of Vietnam in 68-69.

The most feared American weapons platform that the NVA feared the most was the 16" guns of the USS New Jersey.

In 1969 the Hanoi government demanded that the USS New Jersey be pulled from the Pacific before even starting peace talks.
    So Nixon ordered that the New Jersey be deactivated just before the New Jersey was suppose to deploy for its second tour of duty off of Vietnam.
    In the endgame the peace talks were phoney.

It was the Reagan administration who activated all four of the Iowas, USS Iowa, USS New Jersey, USS Missouri and the USS Wisconsin.

The New Jersey had 9 X 16" guns and 20 X 5"/38 guns back in 68/69.

In the 1980's 8 of the 20 5"/38 guns were removed from each Iowa class BB and replaced with Tomahawk cruise missiles and Harpoon anti ship missiles. New projectiles were developed, rocket assist rounds giving the 16"guns a 80 mile range and sabot rounds, etc.

The Armor Piercing (AP) shell fired by these guns is capable of penetrating nearly 30 feet (9 m) of concrete, depending upon the range and obliquity of impact. The High Capacity (HC) shell can create a crater 50 feet wide and 20 feet deep (15 x 6 m). During her deployment off Vietnam, USS New Jersey (BB-62) occasionally fired a single HC round into the jungle and so created a helicopter landing zone 200 yards (180 m) in diameter and defoliated trees for 300 yards (270 m) beyond that.
    http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNUS_16-50_mk7.php

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Felix Birdbiter View Post
    @APACHERAT USS Mansfield (DD728). I was there 66-68 but I understand the Mansfield came back after I had left the ship. You very well may have spotted for her. We were known as "Jane's Fighting Ship" and "The Fastest Gun in West Pac. We fired over 40,000 rounds (and I felt like I carried every one of them!) over a two year period. We never knew what we were shooting at and most of us never knew exactly where we were unless we were North of the DMZ on Sea Dragon. I know we went into Da Nang Harbor once and up the Saigon River once but other than that we were "off the coast" somewhere!
    Very familiar with the USS Mansfield. She was usually homeported in Long Beach.

She was on the gunline twice when I was in-country (69-70) and I did call for gunfire support twice from the Mansfield off of Quang Nam Province.

Those 5"38 guns were perfect for Vietnam. You were easily able to hit targets on a reverse slope and be up close to the target in a danger close situation.

50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entrySocialVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 23.0%

Thanks
    Hey sergentodiaz, you might want to go back and reedit your story somewhat.

The USS Missouri was never on the gunline off of Vietnam, it was still in mothball.

Only the USS New Jersey was reactivated and served off the North and South Vietnam gunline and only did one tour of duty off of Vietnam in 68-69.

The most feared American weapons platform that the NVA feared the most was the 16" guns of the USS New Jersey.

In 1969 the Hanoi government demanded that the USS New Jersey be pulled from the Pacific before even starting peace talks.
    So Nixon ordered that the New Jersey be deactivated just before the New Jersey was suppose to deploy for its second tour of duty off of Vietnam.
    In the endgame the peace talks were phoney.

It was the Reagan administration who activated all four of the Iowas, USS Iowa, USS New Jersey, USS Missouri and the USS Wisconsin.

The New Jersey had 9 X 16" guns and 20 X 5"/38 guns back in 68/69.

In the 1980's 8 of the 20 5"/38 guns were removed from each Iowa class BB and replaced with Tomahawk cruise missiles and Harpoon anti ship missiles. New projectiles were developed, rocket assist rounds giving the 16"guns a 80 mile range and sabot rounds, etc.
    It was a bit of fictional license. I knew it was the New Jersey but couldn't figure out a good aliterative name for her.
    Saint Junipero Serra's Legacy - the untold stories of California
    A Soldier's Stories - Reports of news and interesting stuff

I proudly voted for President Trump!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sargentodiaz View Post
    It was a bit of fictional license. I knew it was the New Jersey but couldn't figure out a good aliterative name for her.
    Since the New Jersey wasn't on the gunline when I was in-country I don't even know what her call sign was.

She was suppose to have been on the gunline when I first arrived in-country but she never deployed.

I Remember seeing the New Jersey qualifying off of San Clemente Island when I was attending NGF School at Coronado NAB back in April of 69. She should have arrived off of Vietnam around the time I got off that Boeing 707 at DaNang Air Base but she never made it.

Well we still had 8" and 6"gun cruisers on the gunline and a whole crap load of destroyers with 5"/38 guns and the newer destroyers with the 5"/54 guns.

Each naval gunfire spotter in Vietnam was given a call sign. I had two while in-country, I didn't like the first one I was given.

For example "Illusive 26 Charley" Illusive being your callsign and and what followed identifying the unit you were attached too.

But doing a quick search the New Jersey BB-62 callsign during the Vietnam War was "Onrush" or "Blue Jay."

The USS Mansfield DD-728 used three different call signs while deployed off of Vietnam, "Tactics," "Talisman" or "Steelhead."

Doing further research if the USS Missouri BB-63 were have been activated and served off of Vietnam its call sign would have been, "Nitrogen."

Every ship in the U.S. Navy is assigned a specific radio call sign.

My first call sign I hated, "Ham Sandwich" and I complained and complained until I was assigned a new call sign.
    Last edited by APACHERAT; 11-09-2019 at 05:31 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to APACHERAT For This Useful Post:

markdido (11-09-2019)

Senior Member Forum Donor Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class3 months registered
    Overall activity: 6.0%

Thanks

I was ship's company (Parachute Rigger) on Iwo Jima from 1985 - 1989. Made 2 Med floats on her with MARG 2-85 and MARG 1-88.
    Last edited by markdido; 11-09-2019 at 11:47 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to markdido For This Useful Post:

APACHERAT (11-10-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by markdido View Post
    I was ship's company (Parachute Rigger) on Iwo Jima from 1985 - 1989. Made 2 Med floats on her with MARG 2-85 and MARG 1-88.
    The Iwo Jima was the first ship built from the keel up to be a LPH.

We (BLT 1/26) were on the Iwo Jima for a few days off of I-Corps RVN where we launched an amphibious assault from.
    It was a new ship back in mid 1969.

The navy's first LPH's were WW ll era Essex class aircraft carriers. Again BLT 1/26 was aboard the USS Valley Forge to conduct another amphibious assault.

After my tour if duty in Nam I was assigned to the 5th Mar Amphib Berg at Camp Pendleton and was deployed on the USS Princeton twice before she was decommissioned.

It was in 1970 and 71 when they started decommissioning all of the WW ll era ships because they were reaching their 30 year life expectancy. With in a few years all of the navy's 6" and 8" gun cruisers were decommissioned and they were decommissioning all of the Sumner and Gearing class destroyers.

By the late 70's the U.S.Navy didn't have any ships capable of providing the naval gunfire support that the Marine Corps required.

That was one of the reasons why the four Iowa class battleships were reactivated during the Reagan administration.

Social50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entry3 months registered
    Overall activity: 47.0%

Thanks
    quick question please. could the 16" reach out to damascus?
    sic semper tyrannis

Thread Information