User Tag List

Thread: Ultimate Home Generator?

Alumni Member and VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialOverdriveTagger First ClassCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation First Class
    Overall activity: 99.6%

Thanks

Ultimate Home Generator?

I really like this thing. Clean.
    But I wonder how long the battery lasts, if it is easy to replace, and the initial cost.
    I'm going to try to find more info.

Today we live. Tomorrow we die.
    "Evil is da Devil minus da D"

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HawkTheSlayer For This Useful Post:

Brat (10-21-2019),darroll (10-21-2019),fortis (10-21-2019),Knightkore (10-21-2019)

V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialOverdriveTagger First ClassCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation First Class

Thanks
    1300 watts/1800 max

Hoo-boy! Only $1200. Geesus.
    Found a couple of sites that will give 15% discount.

https://ecoflow.com/products/ecoflow-delta-1300wh

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Overall activity: 14.0%

Thanks
    Yep that will power your important iphone and a light bulb and that is about it. I am looking for a good used trailer mounted 13-15 kw for my place.

V.I.P
    Achievements:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wbslws View Post
    Yep that will power your important iphone and a light bulb and that is about it. I am looking for a good used trailer mounted 13-15 kw for my place.
    You just as well get a Generac whole home generator. Natural gas or propane. I think they start at about 11-15 kw. All my neighbors have one. Only maintanence is a rare oil change.
    Of course , you can't haul dat to da camp.

The only place I can think of that these whole home gens would not be reliable is in earthquake prone areas where gas lines could break.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HawkTheSlayer For This Useful Post:

darroll (10-21-2019),JMWinPR (10-21-2019)

V.I.P. V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassCreated Blog entryVeteran
    Overall activity: 24.0%

Thanks
    That will be diesel, they come with their own set of issues...........mainly they like to be loaded to over 90% of capacity.

Alumni & VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 88.0%

Thanks
    We bought a 6500 watt Honda inverter generator and had the main electrical panel wired for it to plug right in if we ever lost power for any length of time. After 10 years we never needed it. So I sold it to a local construction company a few months ago with a whopping 2 hours on it, mainly from me going out occasionally to run it a few minutes.

Now, we have the RV and two 2k watt Honda generators for any emergency that would arise. One of the Hondas would easily run our well and fridge with roughly the same size/weight the one in the video. I'll take gas generators for emergency situations.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kodiak For This Useful Post:

Brat (10-21-2019),darroll (10-21-2019),HawkTheSlayer (10-21-2019),JMWinPR (10-21-2019),Rickity Plumber (10-21-2019)

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Overall activity: 14.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkTheSlayer View Post
    You just as well get a Generac whole home generator. Natural gas or propane. I think they start at about 11-15 kw. All my neighbors have one. Only maintanence is a rare oil change.
    Of course , you can't haul dat to da camp.

The only place I can think of that these whole home gens would not be reliable is in earthquake prone areas where gas lines could break.

We went two weeks without power during a hear hurricane a few years back. I would rather have diesel, but LP would be okay also.
    Last edited by wbslws; 10-21-2019 at 02:45 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to wbslws For This Useful Post:

HawkTheSlayer (10-21-2019)

V.I.P
    Achievements:

Thanks
    We went two weeks without power during a hear hurricane a few years back. I would rather have diesel, but LP would be okay also.
    These are short term fix. The bad thing is you need electricity to charge the thing and if there's no power it's useless. You could charge it with a gasoline gen though, and run it at night without noise for 10 hours with two fans hooked up.

Cheaper solution I've been using for years.
    Two marine batteries. $200
    Small inverter. $45
    DC Powerpoint/cig lighter rig- --2 alligator clamps/ double plug cig lighter for dc power. $10

2 weeks ago we lost power for 7 hours. From about lunch to 7pm. I hooked my inverter to the battery and plugged in my multi-plug surge protector.
    I ran 2 fans and watched tv the whole time. And a lamp after dark. This was just using one battery.
    All in peace and quiet.

I was close to rolling my gasoline Generac out of the shed after 7 hours for the fridge and freezer when the power came back on.
    This thing does basicly the same thing for much more cost. I'm guessing the inverter is larger or about 2000 watts if the output is 1800watts.

V.I.P
    Achievements:

Thanks
    Diesel lasts a long time but not forever, and you'd have to store diesal like gasoline.
    We have two 250 gallon diesal tanks here and use a lot of diesal out in the field, orchard, and pasture but algea will grow in those tanks( even tractor tanks) and condensation develops despite using a lot of fuel stabilizers and additives.
    I just drained 5 gallons of black, crappy diesal out of the bottom of one of those tanks last week before I had It filled.

With natural gas gens, there is no storage costs, no bad fuel, and never a carb problem that you have to break down for varnished fuel and gummed up jets.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HawkTheSlayer For This Useful Post:

darroll (10-21-2019),Kodiak (10-21-2019),wbslws (10-21-2019)

Alumni & VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 88.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkTheSlayer View Post
    Diesel lasts a long time but not forever, and you'd have to store diesal like gasoline.
    We have two 250 gallon diesal tanks here and use a lot of diesal out in the field, orchard, and pasture but algea will grow in those tanks( even tractor tanks) and condensation develops despite using a lot of fuel stabilizers and additives.
    I just drained 5 gallons of black, crappy diesal out of the bottom of one of those tanks last week before I had It filled.

With natural gas gens, there is no storage costs, no bad fuel, and never a carb problem that you have to break down for varnished fuel and gummed up jets.
    I run LL100 avgas in my Hondas as well as my log splitter until I sold it about a month ago. No worries about carb problems and the engines love it.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Kodiak For This Useful Post:

HawkTheSlayer (10-21-2019)

Thread Information