User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hideaway towns in America

V.I.P. V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Overall activity: 43.0%

Thanks
    My Mountain home (Was there Yesterday) in Ultra Rural Eastern Shasta County / Southern Cascades is as Rural as any hole in the Rockies or Sawtooth or Just inside the Border near Canada /Idaho Frontier or Backside of the Adirondacks . Google Oak Run Ca. (Nearest tiny hamlet to my Mountain Home)

50000 Experience PointsSocial1 year registered
    Overall activity: 9.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gator Monroe View Post
    My Mountain home (Was there Yesterday) in Ultra Rural Eastern Shasta County / Southern Cascades is as Rural as any hole in the Rockies or Sawtooth or Just inside the Border near Canada /Idaho Frontier or Backside of the Adirondacks . Google Oak Run Ca. (Nearest tiny hamlet to my Mountain Home)
    Sounds like a nice place, I prefer the small/er towns.
    ~~~ if you find yourself going through hell..... keep going~~~ Winston Churchill

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Abbey1 For This Useful Post:

Madison (11-23-2019)

Thanks
    Because they are Hideaway Especially Quincy ( 2 ways in or out ) & Payson (On the Ridge) well know for being hideaway & off the beaten path , and Jerome has had a Cottage Tourist Industry for 75 years as being "Hideaway Arizona"
    I like visiting old, small towns, there's lots of history there.....ghost towns, are the best, there's a lot of them around here.
    ~~~ if you find yourself going through hell..... keep going~~~ Winston Churchill

50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Overall activity: 43.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Abbey1 View Post
    Sounds like a nice place, I prefer the small/er towns.
    Smaller Towns (Oak Run is smaller & more Ultra Rural than your nearest town is it not ? )

Thanks
    Smaller Towns (Oak Run is smaller & more Ultra Rural than your nearest town is it not ? )
    I live in a pretty rural place, myself. My second home is in a mountainous area, with around 400 people.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Abbey1 For This Useful Post:

Madison (11-23-2019)

Gold Chocobo Level Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocial31 days registered
    Overall activity: 19.0%

Thanks
    I didn't watch the video but if it's close to other top 10 lists I've seen then I live in one of those towns.
    my junk is ugly

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class3 months registered
    Overall activity: 22.0%

Thanks
    Quincy California , Jerome Arizona , Saint George Utah , Payson ( on the Ridge) Arizona , Klamath Falls Oregon, Wolfe City Texas ...
    Wonder Valley, California, the second freest place in the Hermit Kingdom of the totalitarian state of California.

Completely out of sight and out of mind.

Meth labs, desert hermits, Mojave rattlesnakes, coyotes, burned out hippies from the 60's, wannabe burned out hippies from the 60's.

Cheap rent but if you can't pay the rent, who's going to do anything about it ?

In Wonder Valley the gun is the law.

Wonder Valley was not substantively populated until the United States Congress approved the Small Tract Act (STA) of 1938, a homesteading law that facilitated the leasing and public-to-private transfer of ownership of parcels of up to five acres to United States citizens willing to improve the land by developing a residence, business, or recreational structure.[4]

Typical “Jackrabbit” homestead cabin remains in Wonder Valley.

Thousands of cabins and other structures built by homesteaders, particularly during a period of popularity in the 1950s and 60s, have since been left abandoned. Although a cleanup effort in the early 2000s resulted the demolition of hundreds of abandoned structures,[5] numerous structures built by Small Tract Act homesteaders still exist in various states of use and repair.[6]
    More recently, Wonder Valley has earned a reputation for being a fashionable destination for artists,[7] a trend which is frequently attributed to Wonder Valley's association with nearby Joshua Tree National Park...-> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonder_Valley,_California

Off the grid and on the edge: Community and isolation in California's high desert

https://www.desertsun.com/story/news...sts/612176002/

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entry3 months registered
    Overall activity: 13.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by APACHERAT View Post
    Wonder Valley, California, the second freest place in the Hermit Kingdom of the totalitarian state of California.

Completely out of sight and out of mind.
    What happens when it rains there, AR?
    Meth labs, desert hermits, Mojave rattlesnakes, coyotes, burned out hippies from the 60's, wannabe burned out hippies from the 60's.

Cheap rent but if you can't pay the rent, who's going to do anything about it ?

In Wonder Valley the gun is the law.

Wonder Valley was not substantively populated until the United States Congress approved the Small Tract Act (STA) of 1938, a homesteading law that facilitated the leasing and public-to-private transfer of ownership of parcels of up to five acres to United States citizens willing to improve the land by developing a residence, business, or recreational structure.[4]

Typical “Jackrabbit” homestead cabin remains in Wonder Valley.

Thousands of cabins and other structures built by homesteaders, particularly during a period of popularity in the 1950s and 60s, have since been left abandoned. Although a cleanup effort in the early 2000s resulted the demolition of hundreds of abandoned structures,[5] numerous structures built by Small Tract Act homesteaders still exist in various states of use and repair.[6]
    More recently, Wonder Valley has earned a reputation for being a fashionable destination for artists,[7] a trend which is frequently attributed to Wonder Valley's association with nearby Joshua Tree National Park...-> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonder_Valley,_California

Off the grid and on the edge: Community and isolation in California's high desert

https://www.desertsun.com/story/news...sts/612176002/

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    Created Blog entry50000 Experience PointsSocialYour first GroupRecommendation First ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 45.0%

Thanks
    We are thinking of heading out that way this summer. Maybe fly to vegas and head north and west of there.
    Montana

Thread Information