Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lawsuit alleges online game Fortnite designed to be addictive

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredRecommendation Second Class
    Overall activity: 12.0%

Thanks

Lawsuit alleges online game Fortnite designed to be addictive

https://www.cnet.com/news/lawsuit-ac...-be-addictive/
    The makers of Fortnite have been accused in a lawsuit of designing the online video game to be addictive. The Canadian lawsuit, which seeks class action status, reportedly likens the game play to taking cocaine.

A legal notice was filed Friday in Quebec Superior Court accusing US-based Epic Games of designing the game specifically to hook users, Canada's Global News reported Friday. Players have had to seek treatment for their addiction, according to the complaint.
    Fortnite, which allows up to 100 players to fight in a virtual battlefield, took 2018 by storm. It became one of the biggest free-to-play games on consoles ever, creating a cultural phenomenon that raked in $3 billion for developer Epic Games last year. The game has nearly 250 million users worldwide, the company said in March.
    I'm not sure about blaming the developers for making the game addictive. I think that's coming from the kids who can't handle a simple game and forgo everything else in their lives to play it. Remember, this is a generation that's hopped up on Ritalin and unable to go five minutes without being on their phone. Not to mention the parents who can't discipline their kids and set limits on their playtime.

What you could blame the developers on is making it violent like just about every other game that has been put out in the last 15-20 years. Halo and Grand Theft Auto got the ball rolling, and ever since then, the M-rated shooters have become the most popular titles. It's part of the reason why I stopped following modern video games when I was just about done with high school. That and the advent of online gaming just didn't appeal to me. And it's only gotten worse since then. Many of these games are practically serial killer tutorials. When I was a kid, video games used to be a brief distraction that you didn't take too seriously. Now you have grown adults live-streaming their gaming all hours of the day. It's pathetic and disturbing.
    Last edited by TLSG; 10-09-2019 at 12:39 PM.

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points3 months registered
    Overall activity: 11.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TLSG View Post
    https://www.cnet.com/news/lawsuit-ac...-be-addictive/

I'm not sure about blaming the developers for making the game addictive. I think that's coming from the kids who can't handle a simple game and forgo everything else in their lives to play it. Remember, this is a generation that's hopped up on Ritalin and unable to go five minutes without being on their phone. Not to mention the parents who can't discipline their kids and set limits on their playtime.

What you could blame the developers on is making it violent like just about every other game that has been put out in the last 15-20 years. Halo and Grand Theft Auto got the ball rolling, and ever since then, the M-rated shooters have become the most popular titles. It's part of the reason why I stopped following modern video games when I was just about done with high school. That and the advent of online gaming just didn't appeal to me. And it's only gotten worse since then. Many of these games are practically serial killer tutorials. When I was a kid, video games used to be a brief distraction that you didn't take too seriously. Now you have grown adults live-streaming their gaming all hours of the day. It's pathetic and disturbing.
    Huh, then with first person shooters so popular, I wonder why there aren’t more serial killers running around.

I’ve looked at fortnite. The only thing it has in common with the graphic first person shooters is that it’s a first person shooter. Otherwise it’s much more cartoonish. It doesn’t have th lifelike graphics or detail that other games have. What made it so big is that it was the first game that figured out how to let players play against each other no matter what platform they are using. Be it Xbox, PlayStation, or desktop, they can all play the same servers

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fins For This Useful Post:

Retiredat50 (10-09-2019)

3.14159 Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points31 days registeredTagger First Class
    Awards:
    King of Publishing
    Overall activity: 99.8%

Thanks
    Breathing is designed to be addictive. A few seconds without it, you go into withdrawal.
    All doorways, before going forward, should be looked to; for difficult it is to know where foes sit within a dwelling.

- 130 -

3.14159 Achievements:
    Awards:
    King of Publishing

Thanks
    In Korea, some kid died because he wouldn't stop playing a video game. It was either dehydration because he wouldn't drink, or some "plumbing" infection because he wouldn't use the bathroom.
    All doorways, before going forward, should be looked to; for difficult it is to know where foes sit within a dwelling.

- 130 -

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Overall activity: 51.0%

Thanks
    I have to agree.

MANY computer and console games (online or not), are very "addictive."

I would not say as "addictive" as tobacco, or alcohol, but, addictive nonetheless. (Most "enjoyable" things are. Called "NATURE.")

The problem here is not "internet addiction," but, rather, absentee parenting....for attempted profit, it would seem......

DISCIPLINE: Perhaps the most frightful concept in the modern world......
    Al Swearengen: What's your partner so mad about all the time?
    Sol Star: He's not mad.
    Al Swearengen: He's got a mean way of being happy.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Swedgin For This Useful Post:

Big Dummy (10-12-2019),Hillofbeans (10-09-2019),Retiredat50 (10-09-2019)

50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 43.0%

Thanks
    I love violent video games. I have been playing them since the very beginning of violent games.

Right now I am playing Borderlands 3, and while the graphics are a little cartoonish, with the right weapons you can hit an enemy so hard that it disintegrates into a spray of blood.

My next game purchase will most likely be Doom: Eternal, the first remake was incredible and this one looks like it will be even better and more bloody and violent. (Oh, and I have never had the urge to go out and kill people)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

3.14159 Achievements:
    Awards:
    King of Publishing

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fins View Post
    Huh, then with first person shooters so popular, I wonder why there aren’t more serial killers running around.
    There are supposed to be 200 serial killers roaming the U.S. at any given moment. There are serial killers (Zodiac, Berkowitz...) who shoot victims, however many of the well known serial killers were stranglers.

Gary Ridgway is "good at choking".
    Last edited by Piru; 10-09-2019 at 01:22 PM.

- 130 -

50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 43.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Piru View Post
    There are supposed to be 200 serial killers roaming the U.S. at any given moment. There are serial killers (Zodiac, Berkowitz...) who shoot victims, however many of the well known serial killers were stranglers.

Gary Ridgway is "good at choking".
    Maybe the serial killers will get addicted to video games and not have as much time to go out and kill people
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Retiredat50 For This Useful Post:

Piru (10-09-2019)

Alumni & VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 80.0%

Thanks
    Our 15 year old adopted grandson is totally addicted to gaming and has been since he was 7, yes I blame the parents. They came and visited us a couple weeks ago and his face was glued to his screen 90% of the 4 days they were here including 120 mile round trips to the airport.

The kid has zero interest in much else not even girls. At 15 girls are all I thought about. I asked him what his plans are when he is an adult and has to make a living for himself. His answer was professional gaming with no plan B.

edit: Oh, and Destiny is his game of choice and has been for years.
    Last edited by Kodiak; 10-09-2019 at 02:01 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Kodiak For This Useful Post:

Swedgin (10-09-2019)

Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Overall activity: 51.0%

Thanks
    I have heard that Destiny is a REALLY fun game.

For my part, I have always found, that the best way to fight Video Game addiction, is to just GET OUTSIDE.

Go to a movie, play some basketball.

Many of these things are not as "enticing" as they involve a bit of work, and effort.

But, once you get IN to them, then, at least for awhile, you find other things that can take your mind away from the video screen.

A good, OLD FASHIONED BOOK might be a nice alternative as well......(Novels can be "addictive" also!)
    Al Swearengen: What's your partner so mad about all the time?
    Sol Star: He's not mad.
    Al Swearengen: He's got a mean way of being happy.

Thread Information