50000 Experience PointsSocialTagger First ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 40.0%

Thanks

Apolitical Intelligence Tests With Important Point to Make

Old English Riddle

As I was walking to St. Ives, I met a man with seven wives
    Each wife had seven sacks, each sack had seven cats
    Each cat had seven kits.
    Kits, cats, sacks, wives, how many were going to St. Ives?

Second Test

A prison was overcrowded, so the warden decided to release a prisoner and wanted to reward intelligence.
    He had three prisoners brought into his office and said:
    "The guard behind you will draw a hat and put it on each of your heads from behind you. He will take it at
    random out of a bag containing two red hats and three black hats. If you can tell me the color of the hat on
    your own head, you will be released. But if you guess and guess wrong, you agree to be shot immediately or
    you may not play. Agreed?" All agreed.
    Hats are placed on the prisoners and they look at each other.
    Prisoner #1: "I don't know."
    Prisoner #2: "I don't know."
    Prisoner #3, who is blind: "I know."

Does he? Explain, and please don't look either puzzle up or confer with others. Solve them on your own.

After a sufficient number of attempts or passes, I will provide the answers and the Important Point implicit in these tests.
    “The explanation value of the evolutionary hypothesis of common origin is nil! Evolution not only conveys no knowledge, it seems to convey anti-knowledge. How could I work on evolution ten years and learn nothing from it? It does seem that the level of knowledge about evolution is remarkably shallow. We know it ought not be taught in high school, and that’s all we know about it.” (Dr. Colin Patterson, senior Paleontologist at the British Museum of Natural History)

Senior Member Forum Donor Achievements:

Thanks
    Nine views so far and nobody has even made an attempt to
    solve either puzzle. Nobody.
    What is the important lesson to be gleaned, and can it be
    gleaned whether or not anyone so much as offers up one, or two answers?

The questions are apolitical, but solving them has critically important political and scientific implications.

Stay tuned and learn, if you still do that sort of thing.
    “The explanation value of the evolutionary hypothesis of common origin is nil! Evolution not only conveys no knowledge, it seems to convey anti-knowledge. How could I work on evolution ten years and learn nothing from it? It does seem that the level of knowledge about evolution is remarkably shallow. We know it ought not be taught in high school, and that’s all we know about it.” (Dr. Colin Patterson, senior Paleontologist at the British Museum of Natural History)

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entry1 year registered
    Overall activity: 28.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemEngineer View Post
    Old English Riddle

Each cat had seven kits.

Second Test

A prison was overcrowded, so the warden decided to release a prisoner and wanted to reward intelligence.
    "The guard behind you will draw a hat and put it on each of your heads from behind you. He will take it at
    random out of a bag containing two red hats and three black hats. If you can tell me the color of the hat on
    your own head, you will be released. But if you guess and guess wrong, you agree to be shot immediately or
    you may not play. Agreed?" All agreed.

Does he? Explain, and please don't look either puzzle up or confer with others. Solve them on your own.

After a sufficient number of attempts or passes, I will provide the answers and the Important Point implicit in these tests.
    I'll take a stab at #1

7 wives = 7 people
    7 sacks = 7 sacks
    7 sacks x 7 cats = 49 cats
    7 cats X 7 kittens =49 kittens
    The husband = 1 man
    The traveler = 1 man

Total 114 (kits, cats sacks wives and the two men)

That's assuming the man and his wives were going to St Ives and not the poor house.

#2 I don't know

The two men who could see could be looking at two red hats, but since they don't know, they aren't
    The two men who could see could be looking at two black hats.......but since there is a 3rd black hat, they can't assume red.
    The two men who could see could be looking at a red and black hat, that leaves even more to blind chance.

Given this, I don't think the blind man could possibly know.

I'm sure I'm wrong, but I was bored. lol
    https://media3.giphy.com/media/s8lZxA5Jmempa/giphy.gif[/IMG]

4. The Following User Says Thank You to navigator2 For This Useful Post:

ChemEngineer (10-09-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by navigator2 View Post
    Given this, I don't think the blind man could possibly know.
    I'm sure I'm wrong, but I was bored. lol
    Kudos for being the only one to try. Well done, Friend.

Each cat had seven kits.

Answer: Zero. "Kits, cats, sacks, wives, how many (of THOSE) were going to St. Ives?"
    I "met" them, going the other way. I was going to St. Ives. They were coming from St. Ives.

Second Test

"The guard behind you will draw a hat and put it on each of your heads from behind you. He will take it at random out of a bag containing two red hats and three black hats. If you can tell me the color of the hat on your own head, you will be released. But if you guess and guess wrong, you agree to be shot immediately or you may not play. Agreed?" All agreed.

Answer: Prisoner #1 does not see two red hats so he doesn't know if his is red or black, so he passes.
    Prisoner #2 does not see two red hats, but in addition, he does not see a red hat on #3, for if he did, he would know that his own hat was black because Prisoner #1 said he "didn't know."
    Therefore Prisoner #3 knows that the hat on his head is black and he is immediately set free.
    Subtle, elegant, satisfying, just as the English riddle is when you understand its nuance and grammar.
    I think the riddle was created by a schoolteacher to force students to multiply up the numbers and add their sums.
    But the teacher phrased the question improperly toward that end. He should have said "I passed a man with seven wives."
    Then there would have been some math to do. This isn't "homework." It's brain candy.

At least thirteen views and only one person attempted to solve either intelligence test. What important point follows?
    The fact that although everyone reading them has the same information, still many can't figure out the answer. Others arrive at incorrect conclusions when everyone has exactly the same information!!! This widespread failure is applicable to the Holy Bible, Darwinism, Climate Change, and politics, to name but a few controversial domains that are divisively interpreted.
    Last edited by ChemEngineer; 10-09-2019 at 02:58 PM. Reason: added last word and changed divisive to an adverb.

Sr ADMIN/Founder IT Staff
    Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    TPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassTagger First ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran
    Overall activity: 99.6%

Thanks
    I hate math. I don't take homework assignments either.

Alumni Member & VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 68.0%

Thanks
    I've heard the first one before. It was in a movie.

The second one would have be that he knew he was wearing a red hat, because if the other two were confused, that would mean they looked at all 3 hats and heads, and said I don't know. That means they saw 2 blacks and 1 red...as that is the only thing that could cause them confusion. 2 reds would have provided them an instant solution as to what was on their own heads...being a black hat.

I think he knew he had a red hat on.
    Last edited by Canadianeye; 10-09-2019 at 02:06 PM.
    The Progressives have become full blown NAZIs, to thwart a Hitler that doesn't exist...since that is the only way they can express, and self justify, their fascism.

Alumni Member & VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 68.0%

Thanks
    Oh...I see now you provided the answer. Black hat huh. I shouldn't have rushed. Dammit.
    The Progressives have become full blown NAZIs, to thwart a Hitler that doesn't exist...since that is the only way they can express, and self justify, their fascism.

V.I.P. V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 24.0%

Thanks
    St. Ives

7 x 7 x 7 x 7 - 2401 The question didn't ask about the traveler or the man, so didn't use them in my calculation.

But this does make an assumption, that all were going to St. Ives. The riddle doesn't explicitly say that anyone but the traveler was going to St. Ives, so technically the answer could be 1. The only thing the riddle clearly spells out about destination is for that of the traveler. But here again, the riddle only asks about kits, cats, sacks and wives, which excludes the traveler, so the answer could also be 0.

Last edited by Foghorn; 10-09-2019 at 03:20 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Foghorn View Post
    St. Ives

7 x 7 x 7 x 7 - 2401 The question didn't ask about the traveler or the man, so didn't use them in my calculation.
    Let's add up the number of "kits, cats, sacks and wives."

wives = 7
    sacks = 7 x 7 = 49
    cats = 7 x 7 x 7 = 343
    kits = 7 x 7 x 7 x 7 = 2401

Adding up "kits, cats, sacks and wives," we get not 2401 but rather 2,800.

So this further validates my point of having all the information that everyone else has and still misinterpreting it.

Here's another gem that will titillate your brain, if it is titillatable of course....

It's impossible to know the solution, but once found, is oh so simple and elegant. It was right there in front of you the whole time.
    You need only ask. Read it to the kids you know and love.

http://manymoonsbythurber.blogspot.com

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ChemEngineer For This Useful Post:

Foghorn (10-09-2019)

V.I.P. V.I.P Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 27.0%

Thanks
    I'm really tired. Been doing engineering drawings all day. The engineer in me can't help but ask, in the first riddle you cannot assume they were heading in any direction. Where is this stated?

Not enough info. for me.

Edit: My guess, zero of the above were going to St. Ives.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemEngineer View Post
    Nine views so far and nobody has even made an attempt to
    solve either puzzle. Nobody.
    What is the important lesson to be gleaned, and can it be
    gleaned whether or not anyone so much as offers up one, or two answers?

The questions are apolitical, but solving them has critically important political and scientific implications.

Stay tuned and learn, if you still do that sort of thing.
    Last edited by MedicineBow; 10-09-2019 at 03:30 PM.

Thread Information