User Tag List

Thread: Posting Links

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entrySocialVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 19.0%

Thanks

Thumbs up Posting Links

The forum rules are quite clean when it comes to posting items. If they are not pure personal comments - like this one - it is required to provide a link to the original source.
    Why?
    Over the years that I've been posting here and on other forums, I continually encounter responders who totally ignore the source provided. And, when you ask why, they will tell you that they don't link to any source they're not familiar with for fear of .....blah, blah, blah.
    Don't they have security addons to their browsers that warn them when a site if unsafe?
    I personally never post a link that I haven't been to myself. I have a McAfee Site Advisor along with another that comes with Firefox.
    Do they think we are posting links to infect their PCs with viruses?
    I wish someone would explain it to me.
    Saint Junipero Serra's Legacy - the untold stories of California
    A Soldier's Stories - Reports of news and interesting stuff

I proudly voted for President Trump!

Alumni Member & VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 30.0%

Thanks
    I would guess some people have their systems on different settings of threat. Other than that, I know personally I am blindingly stubborn about going to a link that has any sort of connection to my political rivals.

I will rarely give them a "click". That's just me. Stubborn to the core.
    The Progressives have become full blown NAZIs, to thwart a Hitler that doesn't exist...since that is the only way they can express, and self justify, their fascism.

Alumni & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredRecommendation Second Class
    Overall activity: 7.0%

Thanks
    Various forums have different standards, but in general providing a link to the source (or a source that links the source) and only quoting a fraction (less the 50%) of the original article are common rules. The reason is to minimize risk of copyright problems.

If someone commenting on an article chooses not to go to the source, that's their business. I try to avoid going to or posting stories from paywall sites (e.g. WashPost, NYT, TWSJ), so I often look for the same story on another site. I will occasionally link/quote a site like Mother Jones when the article is or contains an admission-against-interest or makes the Lib/Prog site look stupid.
    Traddles

SVPete

PeteS in CA

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Traddles For This Useful Post:

Canadianeye (09-24-2019)

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entrySocialVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 19.0%

Thanks
    My problem is how often posters make wild accusations without even bothering to go to the source. How can they respond with knowing what the original said?
    Saint Junipero Serra's Legacy - the untold stories of California
    A Soldier's Stories - Reports of news and interesting stuff

I proudly voted for President Trump!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sargentodiaz For This Useful Post:

potlatch (09-24-2019),Traddles (09-24-2019)

Alumni Member & VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 30.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sargentodiaz View Post
    My problem is how often posters make wild accusations without even bothering to go to the source. How can they respond with knowing what the original said?
    It really depends Sarge, on who the link/source is. Let's say for the sake of argument it is to CNN or MSNBC even. Maybe Mother Jones or Media Matters.

I already know what they are going to be saying, or, what duplicitous back handed smear they will bring with a crafted piece...that they will put out there, with an appearance of saying something decent about President Trump or Conservatives.

I know this, because I have seen it thousands of times.

That knowledge or real life experience (whatever you want to call it) stops me from reading their contrived drivel. The only impetus I have to look at their contrived drivel...is that maybe this time, it could be, it might happen, you never know...of a piece that is NOT contrived drivel, with a duplicitous agenda behind the writing.

I've discovered those are extremely rare events. When it does occur - given its rarity - it will be out there by someone for me to read, personally decipher...and then see if it is legit.
    The Progressives have become full blown NAZIs, to thwart a Hitler that doesn't exist...since that is the only way they can express, and self justify, their fascism.

VIP - vi et animo V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points31 days registeredSocial
    Overall activity: 82.0%

Thanks
    I haven't read someone mention a site advisor in many years, i even forgot about them, in my opinion they are useless. I forgot the name of the one that only went by users reviews, so if user A says the site is safe, but user B says the site is unsafe, now what.

It's easy to trick people with links, so where do you think you'll be directed. click it, it's safe. thepoliticsforums.com

There are ways to check the URL before clicking to make sure it's safe.

I would recommend using an open DNS Norton might have one, i know Google has one but i don't deal with google.

I recommend these two.

Click on ""consumer learn more" & pick a freebie, unless you prefer the paid version...https://www.opendns.com/

Click on the win version you have...https://www.comodo.com/secure-dns/switch/

And yes, i concur that links should be provided.
    Last edited by fortis; 09-24-2019 at 03:04 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to fortis For This Useful Post:

Canadianeye (09-24-2019)

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points3 months registered
    Overall activity: 3.0%

Thanks
    I'm still relative noob around here, and I suspect it doesnt apply as much here as more left leaning forums.

Over years I learned that most people don't read sources provided, or if they do click the link it is only to determine whether that source is on their hidden list of approved sources. Generally this turns into a debate about the source instead of the topic. Or my "source" is "bigger" type arguments.

To combat that; I had been making a point to include the search term to find the source in the phrasing of the claim, or just putting a source that is top result (not best result) and just letting it dangle.

The only times I would go out of my way to dig up sources are for extraordinary claims (ex; spider goats would get a source because it sounds nuts); when the source is obscure, dated or requires significant digging; or when the source is particularly technical in nature.

VIP - vi et animo V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points31 days registeredSocial
    Overall activity: 82.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fortis View Post
    I haven't read someone mention a site advisor in many years, i even forgot about them, in my opinion they are useless. I forgot the name of the one that only went by users reviews, so if user A says the site is safe, but user B says the site is unsafe, now what.

It's easy to trick people with links, so where do you think you'll be directed. click it, it's safe. thepoliticsforums.com

There are ways to check the URL before clicking to make sure it's safe.

I would recommend using an open DNS Norton might have one, i know Google has one but i don't deal with google.

I recommend these two.

Click on ""consumer learn more" & pick a freebie, unless you prefer the paid version...https://www.opendns.com/

Click on the win version you have...https://www.comodo.com/secure-dns/switch/

And yes, i concur that links should be provided.
    This is the one i forgot, WOT but wouldn't recommend...

Protect Your Browsing with Web Of Trust

Thread Information