User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where us fatties are

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entrySocialVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 27.0%

Thanks

Cool Where us fatties are

OK, so itís not PC to say that. I donít care. Iím a blob of fat and hate every second of not losing it.
    "Almost 50 years into the upward curve of obesity rates we haven't yet found the right mix of programs to stop the epidemic.Ē
    "Isolated programs and calls for lifestyle changes aren't enough.
    ďInstead, our report highlights the fundamental changes that are needed in the social and economic conditions that make it challenging for people to eat healthy foods and get sufficient exercise."
    Diet and exercise.
    Thatís the secret, isnít it?
    How does one exercise when one can barely stand up Ė and then with only a rollador?
    And whatís the secret to a diet that keeps blood sugar levels from dropping like a stone?
    (Just came back from a visit to the ER and my BS was at 32 Ė hypoglycemia.)
    Saint Junipero Serra's Legacy - the untold stories of California
    A Soldier's Stories - Reports of news and interesting stuff

I proudly voted for President Trump!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sargentodiaz For This Useful Post:

Big Dummy (09-14-2019),dinosaur (09-14-2019),Fall River (09-14-2019),JMWinPR (09-14-2019)

50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 29.0%

Thanks
    Complete BS. By the common measure, the one that the CDC uses, BMI, I would be considered obese. Why? Because I have dense muscles and bones. I can not pinch more than half an inch of skin anywhere on my body, but I am obese, what a joke.

Most professional athletes measure as obese based on BMI as do a ton of regular people that are just in good shape.

You can easily see that most of America are not obese just by looking around when you go to the store or wherever. Sure there are some fat people, but it is nowhere near what they are always claiming.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Retiredat50 For This Useful Post:

Conservative Libertarian (09-14-2019),Crusader (09-16-2019),MrogersNhood (09-16-2019)

VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Overall activity: 20.0%

Thanks
    Life is short, eat dessert first. If you enjoy eating, eat. If you enjoy smoking, smoke. If you enjoy drinking, drink.

I don't want to eat or drink too much because I don't want the lack of mobility that comes with it. But life is too short to not enjoy it while you can. Be comfortable with who you are, and enjoy. My favorite quote from my grandfather ... "Cheer up, you'll soon be dead."

Oh, and about that map ... So, what's the point? When I see a map like that, I think to myself. Who is making that map, and why did they make that map?

I think the UK is jealous that we have REALLY GOOD FOOD here in the USA, and they don't.
    Last edited by dinosaur; 09-14-2019 at 09:23 AM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dinosaur For This Useful Post:

Kris P Bacon (09-16-2019),Retiredat50 (09-16-2019)

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Overall activity: 15.0%

Thanks
    I don't think the CDC is trying to pull a fast one by overstating the rate of obesity in the U.S. They employ highly trained professionals to figure these things out. They know what the margin of error is, caused by athletes and body builders and they can deduct for it. Could they be off a smidgen? Maybe, but don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

How about many the elderly who are within the non-obese BMI range but have lost a lot of muscle-mass and bone that got replaced by fat. With a high percentage of body fat, perhaps they should be counted as obese. I never hear anyone complaining about the BMI being inaccurate because of that.

Okay, now the "life is short" argument: This argument assumes that it's impossible to ever be able to enjoy healthy foods. There was a time when I enjoyed all kinds of fast foods like ice cream, cookies, cakes, pies, French fries, soft drinks and many other processed foods. It can become an addiction just like smoking or anything else. When you're addicted you think you can't live without all of that junk, but you can. I broke the addiction and now I enjoy healthy foods so much that I can't imagine going back to eating all that junk.

So remember this: Life is only going to be short if you make it short.
    Last edited by Fall River; 09-14-2019 at 10:52 AM.

Thanks
    In recent years a lot has been discovered about the cause of being overweight or obese. The old saying used to be: Calories in calories out. In other words, if you wanted to maintain your weight and you were consuming 2,000 calories per day, you would have to burn 2,000 calories. Or, if you wanted to lose weight, you would cut your calories down to about 1,500 or 1,600. And, presto, you were supposed to lose weight. Well, that's a bit outdated now.

Now it's less about the exact number of calories and what you do to burn them, and more about how your body utilizes your energy intake. Although, it's still important to eat a healthy diet and get at least moderate exercise.
    What I'm suggesting is that the payoff can be much greater when we understand how the body works and what's needed to make it work more efficiently. The all important thing is the condition of our microbiome or microbiota. Those are the names that have been given to the community of microorganisms that live in our lower digestive tract. There may be as many as 1,000 species of microorganisms in our digestive system and no two people have exactly the same makeup of microorganisms. Some have more and some have less. And that applies to the overall number which may be in the trillions.

It's been discovered that the type and quantity of microorganisms will determine your weight. It was first learned through small animal experiments where they did fecal transplants from thin mice to fat mice and vice versa. Fat mice became thin while eating the same number of calories, or thin mice gained weight while eating the same number of calories. It just depends on the type and quantity of microorganisms in their gut.

Now the question is what should a person do to reestablish or maintain a healthy community of micro-flora. There's a lot one can do, much more than I would be able to tell you here. That's why I would recommend doing some research. There are a number of good books on this subject; I just don't have the titles handy at this time but you can find some by searching online. Don't rely on just one book but read at least a few by different authors. I may provide a few titles next time I come here.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Fall River For This Useful Post:

Crusader (09-16-2019)

Thanks
    Perhaps a good place to start is with the following book by Emeran Mayer, MD. The title: "The Mind-Gut Connection: How the Hidden Conversation within Our Bodies Impacts Our Mood, Our Choices, and Our Overall Health"

In this book, the author explains how the microbiome - the community of microoranisms in the gut - can have a major impact on health issues including food sensitivities, allergies, digestive disorders, obesity, anxiety, depression, and fatigue. He has studied these brain-gut interactions for the past forty years, so this has been his main focus all along.

Banned Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 0%

Thanks
    I'd probably lose 15 lbs if I cut beer out. Not happening.
    Last edited by MrogersNhood; 09-16-2019 at 10:46 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MrogersNhood For This Useful Post:

Kris P Bacon (09-16-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fall River View Post
    I don't think the CDC is trying to pull a fast one by overstating the rate of obesity in the U.S. They employ highly trained professionals to figure these things out. They know what the margin of error is, caused by athletes and body builders and they can deduct for it. Could they be off a smidgen? Maybe, but don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

How about many the elderly who are within the non-obese BMI range but have lost a lot of muscle-mass and bone that got replaced by fat. With a high percentage of body fat, perhaps they should be counted as obese. I never hear anyone complaining about the BMI being inaccurate because of that.

Okay, now the "life is short" argument: This argument assumes that it's impossible to ever be able to enjoy healthy foods. There was a time when I enjoyed all kinds of fast foods like ice cream, cookies, cakes, pies, French fries, soft drinks and many other processed foods. It can become an addiction just like smoking or anything else. When you're addicted you think you can't live without all of that junk, but you can. I broke the addiction and now I enjoy healthy foods so much that I can't imagine going back to eating all that junk.

So remember this: Life is only going to be short if you make it short.
    By arguing that the BMI measurement is wrong for the elderly, you are acknowledging that the BMI measurement is not even close to being accurate.

You can not say that it is not accurate in a multitude of situations, but they balance out, that is ridiculous.
    Last edited by Retiredat50; 09-16-2019 at 11:15 AM.

Thanks
    In recent years a lot has been discovered about the cause of being overweight or obese. The old saying used to be: Calories in calories out. In other words, if you wanted to maintain your weight and you were consuming 2,000 calories per day, you would have to burn 2,000 calories. Or, if you wanted to lose weight, you would cut your calories down to about 1,500 or 1,600. And, presto, you were supposed to lose weight. Well, that's a bit outdated now.

Now it's less about the exact number of calories and what you do to burn them, and more about how your body utilizes your energy intake. Although, it's still important to eat a healthy diet and get at least moderate exercise.
    What I'm suggesting is that the payoff can be much greater when we understand how the body works and what's needed to make it work more efficiently. The all important thing is the condition of our microbiome or microbiota. Those are the names that have been given to the community of microorganisms that live in our lower digestive tract. There may be as many as 1,000 species of microorganisms in our digestive system and no two people have exactly the same makeup of microorganisms. Some have more and some have less. And that applies to the overall number which may be in the trillions.

It's been discovered that the type and quantity of microorganisms will determine your weight. It was first learned through small animal experiments where they did fecal transplants from thin mice to fat mice and vice versa. Fat mice became thin while eating the same number of calories, or thin mice gained weight while eating the same number of calories. It just depends on the type and quantity of microorganisms in their gut.

Now the question is what should a person do to reestablish or maintain a healthy community of micro-flora. There's a lot one can do, much more than I would be able to tell you here. That's why I would recommend doing some research. There are a number of good books on this subject; I just don't have the titles handy at this time but you can find some by searching online. Don't rely on just one book but read at least a few by different authors. I may provide a few titles next time I come here.
    Sorry, it is a proven fact that calories in and calories out is the main factor for determining weight. As examples, look at the potato diet or the banana diet or the cabbage soup diet or even the Subway diet (Jarod). All based on calorie intake.

So, if you eat all the potatoes you want for 2 weeks you will lose weight. Why? Because potatoes are low in calories, and you get food fatigue. Food fatigue is where you get tired of eating the same thing over and over so eat less as time goes on. The same goes for the cabbage soup diet and the banana diet. It is a combination of low-calorie foods and you eat less as a result of just not wanting to eat the same thing.

The Subway diet was simply a low-calorie diet. Jarod normally ate about 3500 calories a day and then when Subway hired him to do this diet (yes, it was all staged) he cut his calories down to 1200-1500 a day and lost weight.

Sure, food types do matter. Eating fewer carbs and more lean protein and replacing bread and pasta with vegetables and fruits will make a difference in your energy level, health and generally how you feel.

But even with a diet that substitutes vegetables and fruits for pasta and bread, it is still about calories. Eating lean meat, veggies and fruit provides a lot more nutrients and fiber, so you feel full faster and stay full longer than if you are eating stuff that has very little nutritional value. So, you consume less calories.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Retiredat50 For This Useful Post:

Crusader (09-16-2019),MrogersNhood (09-16-2019)

Thanks
    Perhaps a good place to start is with the following book by Emeran Mayer, MD. The title: "The Mind-Gut Connection: How the Hidden Conversation within Our Bodies Impacts Our Mood, Our Choices, and Our Overall Health"

In this book, the author explains how the microbiome - the community of microoranisms in the gut - can have a major impact on health issues including food sensitivities, allergies, digestive disorders, obesity, anxiety, depression, and fatigue. He has studied these brain-gut interactions for the past forty years, so this has been his main focus all along.
    If you are eating a healthy diet you do not have to worry about any of that. The human body is an awesome machine, just give it the fuel it needs and it will do the rest.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Retiredat50 For This Useful Post:

Crusader (09-16-2019),Kris P Bacon (09-16-2019)

Thread Information