User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: Where us fatties are

  1. #11
    Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation Second ClassTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 51.0%

    patrickt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Oaxaca, Mexico, for over twenty years. Born and raised in Memphis, TN, and worked in Colorado.
    Posts
    29,085
    Thanks
    3,625
    Thanked: 17,440
    Rep Power
    21474873
    A. I'm fat but I can sit in one seat on an airplane, I walk miles every day getting things done, and I don't care.

    B. I laugh at people fatter than me who insist I'm not fat because that might mean they're fat.

    C. I don't harass fat people but I don't accept their bullshit either. A friend, who was called Fat Paul to distinguish him from the Paul from Seattle said, "I'm not fat, Pat."
    "Sure you are."
    "I mean I'm not really fat."
    "Paul, you are really fat. That's why you're had a quadruple bypass surgery, have high blood pressure, and type 2 diabetes."
    He sat there a moment and said, "But, when I look in a mirror I don't see a fat man."

    He probably didn't. An anorexic woman I worked with looked in the mirror and saw fat.

    A woman I know said, "I like Mexican men because they don't mind if a woman's a little chubby."
    "Who do you know who's a little chubby?"
    "Me."
    "Suzanne, you passed a little chubby when you were ten-years old."

    I'm thinking about writing a book on things not to say to women. I gave my son the lecture when he was getting married. He actually thought women preferred honesty.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to patrickt For This Useful Post:

    Fall River (09-19-2019)

  3. #12
    Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entrySocialVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 25.0%

    sargentodiaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    22,102
    Thanks
    5,763
    Thanked: 17,224
    Rep Power
    21474863
    Amazing. I haven't done anything different since the last time but weighed today and am 8 lbs less than 2 weeks ago.
    Saint Junipero Serra's Legacy - the untold stories of California
    A Soldier's Stories - Reports of news and interesting stuff

    I proudly voted for President Trump!

  4. #13
    Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Overall activity: 5.0%

    Crusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    3,372
    Thanks
    3,113
    Thanked: 5,101
    Rep Power
    8884516
    Quote Originally Posted by sargentodiaz View Post
    Amazing. I haven't done anything different since the last time but weighed today and am 8 lbs less than 2 weeks ago.
    Water weight? Different scale?

    Ive been on a pretty big work out and diet kick lately, even becoming a little obsessive about it. I’ve been into weight lifting for awhile and let my diet go and concentrated on putting on mass. Well I put on to much unwanted mass, so I’ve cut my calorie intake and really increased my cardio(9 cardio workouts a week). I’m doing a low carb diet, cut out bread, pasta, potatoes and most sugar. Even with that I’ve only dropped 10 pounds in a month, but I also lift fairly heavy 3 times a week muscle is heavier then fat.

    If you figure out why, market it.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Crusader For This Useful Post:

    Fall River (09-19-2019)

  6. #14
    Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entrySocialVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 25.0%

    sargentodiaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    22,102
    Thanks
    5,763
    Thanked: 17,224
    Rep Power
    21474863
    My son in law was getting on the big blob side and decided to do something about it. Diet and lots of exercise and he's back down to a decent weight.
    Saint Junipero Serra's Legacy - the untold stories of California
    A Soldier's Stories - Reports of news and interesting stuff

    I proudly voted for President Trump!

  7. #15
    Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Overall activity: 16.0%

    Fall River's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    763
    Thanks
    1,066
    Thanked: 408
    Rep Power
    644253
    Quote Originally Posted by Retiredat50 View Post
    By arguing that the BMI measurement is wrong for the elderly, you are acknowledging that the BMI measurement is not even close to being accurate.

    You can not say that it is not accurate in a multitude of situations, but they balance out, that is ridiculous.
    What I'm saying is these studies are designed by well qualified doctors who know how to adjust for unusual situations that don't meet the standard. For example, athletes are what percentage of the population? If you pick 100 people at random, how many of them do you think would be athletes? Most of the time Zero. But, I would guess, they might be less than 1% of the total U.S. adult population. As far as the elderly who might have a high percentage of body fat, I said perhaps they should be included as obese. I leave that up to the experts.

    This has been argued many many times on message boards over the years and someone always brings up the same objection that the BMI is not accurate because it mistakenly counts athletes and body builders as being obese. So it seems that everyone is aware of this but they never give any credit to the doctors who do the research. Why would anyone think that the research doctors haven't also thought of it?

  8. #16
    Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Overall activity: 16.0%

    Fall River's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    763
    Thanks
    1,066
    Thanked: 408
    Rep Power
    644253
    Quote Originally Posted by Retiredat50 View Post
    Sorry, it is a proven fact that calories in and calories out is the main factor for determining weight. As examples, look at the potato diet or the banana diet or the cabbage soup diet or even the Subway diet (Jarod). All based on calorie intake.

    So, if you eat all the potatoes you want for 2 weeks you will lose weight. Why? Because potatoes are low in calories, and you get food fatigue. Food fatigue is where you get tired of eating the same thing over and over so eat less as time goes on. The same goes for the cabbage soup diet and the banana diet. It is a combination of low-calorie foods and you eat less as a result of just not wanting to eat the same thing.

    Yes, people can lose weight in the short term by going on fad diets or counting calories, but in the long term the U.S. keeps gaining weight overall. And that is because they fail to see deeper into the problem, they're not getting to the root cause.

    The Subway diet was simply a low-calorie diet. Jarod normally ate about 3500 calories a day and then when Subway hired him to do this diet (yes, it was all staged) he cut his calories down to 1200-1500 a day and lost weight.

    Sure, food types do matter. Eating fewer carbs and more lean protein and replacing bread and pasta with vegetables and fruits will make a difference in your energy level, health and generally how you feel.

    But even with a diet that substitutes vegetables and fruits for pasta and bread, it is still about calories. Eating lean meat, veggies and fruit provides a lot more nutrients and fiber, so you feel full faster and stay full longer than if you are eating stuff that has very little nutritional value. So, you consume less calories.
    Words mean things: In my post I said, "Now it's less about the exact number of calories and what you do to burn them, and more about how your body utilizes your energy intake."

    The problem with your approach is that it's the standard approach that everyone has been using over the years and the percentage of people who are overweight or obese has not been going down. U.S. obesity is at record levels. That's because, so far, the root cause is not being dealt with by most dieters.
    Last edited by Fall River; 09-17-2019 at 05:01 PM.

  9. #17
    Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 59.0%

    Retiredat50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    14,111
    Thanks
    18,874
    Thanked: 21,236
    Rep Power
    21474855
    Quote Originally Posted by Fall River View Post
    Words mean things: In my post I said, "Now it's less about the exact number of calories and what you do to burn them, and more about how your body utilizes your energy intake."

    The problem with your approach is that it's the standard approach that everyone has been using over the years and the percentage of people who are overweight or obese has not been going down. U.S. obesity is at record levels. That's because, so far, the root cause is not being dealt with by most dieters.
    Words do mean things, and facts are facts.

    *Fact, BMI is inaccurate, period, you have admitted it yourself.

    *Fact, the biggest determining factor of weight loss and weight gain are calories in and calories burned.

    *Fact, we have no idea how many people are or are not overweight in America because they are using an inaccurate measuring system (BMI). So saying we are at record levels just does not work.

    Saying that calories in, calories out is wrong because that has been the standard for many years yet we have more fat people now is... I mean really, seriously, that is your argument? Maybe there are more fat people now because our lifestyles have changed drastically from say 40 years ago.

    I don't know your age, I am 54 and when I was a kid we ate tons of fast food, junk food and very few of us were fat. Because we were always active. Riding our bikes, skateboarding, swimming, playing stickball and so on. Now you go into a neighborhood and all the kids are inside. Playing video games, texting each other and watching TV or Youtube. The adults are also a lot more sedentary than 40 years ago.

    So yeah, there are more fat people now than in the past, but diet, although a part of the equation, is not the complete reason. And, once again it comes to calories in, calories out. Eat a fast food meal that is 1500 calories and then sit in front of a computer or sit staring at your cell phone vs eating the same meal than doing something physical like riding a bike or swimming, there is the difference.
    Last edited by Retiredat50; 09-18-2019 at 05:40 AM.

  10. #18
    Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 59.0%

    Retiredat50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    14,111
    Thanks
    18,874
    Thanked: 21,236
    Rep Power
    21474855
    Quote Originally Posted by Fall River View Post
    What I'm saying is these studies are designed by well qualified doctors who know how to adjust for unusual situations that don't meet the standard. For example, athletes are what percentage of the population? If you pick 100 people at random, how many of them do you think would be athletes? Most of the time Zero. But, I would guess, they might be less than 1% of the total U.S. adult population. As far as the elderly who might have a high percentage of body fat, I said perhaps they should be included as obese. I leave that up to the experts.

    This has been argued many many times on message boards over the years and someone always brings up the same objection that the BMI is not accurate because it mistakenly counts athletes and body builders as being obese. So it seems that everyone is aware of this but they never give any credit to the doctors who do the research. Why would anyone think that the research doctors haven't also thought of it?
    Sorry, BMI has been proven to be inaccurate and they still use it because it is so easy, weight and height. So, I would not call them experts when they know they are using a system that does not work. Very, very few doctors do any research, they follow what ever they are told.

    No, there is no adjustment for unusual situations, these are just numbers, period, it is data. They collect this data from all over the country and it is just numbers.

  11. #19
    Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Overall activity: 16.0%

    Fall River's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    763
    Thanks
    1,066
    Thanked: 408
    Rep Power
    644253
    Quote Originally Posted by Retiredat50 View Post
    If you are eating a healthy diet you do not have to worry about any of that. The human body is an awesome machine, just give it the fuel it needs and it will do the rest.
    What you said is absolutely true, the problem is that the majority of people don't know what a healthy diet is. https://www.livescience.com/10389-bi...s-healthy.html


    Big Fat Disconnect: 90% of us think our diets are healthy.
    How can this be true if the vast majority of Americans are overweight?
    Last edited by Fall River; 09-18-2019 at 09:41 AM.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Fall River For This Useful Post:

    Retiredat50 (09-18-2019)

  13. #20
    Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 59.0%

    Retiredat50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    14,111
    Thanks
    18,874
    Thanked: 21,236
    Rep Power
    21474855
    Quote Originally Posted by Fall River View Post
    What you said is absolutely true, the problem is that the majority of people don't know what a healthy diet is. https://www.livescience.com/10389-bi...s-healthy.html


    How can this be true if the vast majority of Americans are overweight?
    Great article! I will just quote one part of it, although I agree with it all...

    "Or take yogurt – a carton of low-fat yogurt can have 33 grams of sugar,"

    Most people think that eating yogurt is automatically healthy, but not when the yogurt is loaded with sugar. Perception is the key to marketing, and most people fall for it.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Retiredat50 For This Useful Post:

    Fall River (09-18-2019)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •