User Tag List

Thread: John Kelly Spoke Out at White House Against Deploying Troops to Border

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 97.0%

Thanks

John Kelly Spoke Out at White House Against Deploying Troops to Border

John Kelly Said He Spoke Out at White House Against Deploying Armed Troops to Border

Former Secretary of Homeland Security and White House Chief of Staff, Gen. John F. Kelly, reviews the corps of cadets at the U.S. Coast Guard Academy Thursday, Sept. 12, 2019, in New London, Conn. (Sean D. Elliot/The Day via AP)
    13 Sep 2019
    Military.com | By Gina Harkins

When White House officials began kicking around the idea of sending active-duty troops to the southwest border, then-Chief of Staff John Kelly shared his view of what service members were likely to think about the mission.

"We don't like doing it," Kelly, a retired four-star Marine Corps general, recalled telling members of the White House staff, not disclosing whether President Donald Trump was in on the conversation. "... I don't think we want to put men and women in U.S. uniforms with guns on the Rio Grande. It's just something I feel very strongly about."

Troops, he added during Thursday event at the U.S. Coast Guard Academy in Groton, Connecticut, see that kind of mission as "someone else's job" -- something that should be handled by state or local police.

Without addressing specifically whether he viewed the border deployments as political, Kelly stressed that the American public respects its military because troops "serve the nation in an apolitical way.

"And the worst thing -- in my view -- is to start to put men and women in military uniform against U.S. citizens, whatever the issue is," Kelly added.

The Pentagon has dispatched thousands of active-duty forces to the U.S.-Mexico border since October 2018. The mission to assist Homeland Security personnel as they deal with the influx of Central American migrants from countries plagued with violence had previously been carried out by National Guard members.

But that changed when Trump warned that a caravan of migrants making their way toward the U.S. on foot called for additional security. Thousands of active-duty personnel -- mostly soldiers and Marines -- have since deploying to carry out missions inside their own country.

Related:
    Trump Wants More Troops on Border, Implies They Should Get 'A Little Rough'

But that's not how they should be used, Kelly said. While the U.S. Coast Guard regularly operates inside the U.S., he said that's not normal for soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines.

"Over the past 200-plus years, we don't typically -- if you take the Civil War off the table for a second -- we don't typically deploy and operate inside the United States," he said.

Kelly, a prior-enlisted Marine who served as head of U.S. Southern Command before leading the Department of Homeland Security and later Trump's chief of staff, recalled how, as a private first class, he was sent to Washington from North Carolina during anti-Vietnam War protests.

"I can remember as a young guy ... deploying from Camp Lejeune up to Washington, D.C, to do duty on the streets," Kelly said. "You know, full battle regalia, bayonets on the end of the rifles and all that to control the million or so people that were demonstrating against the war.

"And we hated our job," he added. "[Even] as young PFCs we thought, 'this isn't our job. Why are we here?'"Kelly, who left the White House in December, said that's the point he stressed to members of the Trump administration who thought sending troops to the border was a "terrific idea."

"I was able to bargain," he said, adding that he got the missions changed to logistics or surveillance duties.

Troops' job, he said, is to fight "the away game," with one exception.

"When there's a natural disaster in our country, it's all-hands on deck," Kelly said. "... And we're all about it."

FU Kelly, protecting America’s border is not political. Glad your political left wing deepstate ass is gone. Now learn to shut up and be dignified.
    I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them. — George Mason, during Virginia’s Convention to Ratify the Constitution (1788)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Big Dummy For This Useful Post:

Big Bird (09-14-2019),NORAD (09-14-2019),Old Ridge Runner (09-14-2019)

Senior Member Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entry3 months registered
    Overall activity: 68.0%

Thanks
    he should be fired imideately for saying those things are American citizens.
    sic semper tyrannis

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jirqoadai For This Useful Post:

Big Bird (09-14-2019),Big Dummy (09-14-2019),JMWinPR (09-14-2019),Old Ridge Runner (09-14-2019)

Forum IT Staff, VIP, Alumni IT Staff
    Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialRecommendation Second ClassCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 15.0%

Thanks
    If you are unwilling to protect our borders and sovereignty then you aren’t fit for anything much except a paid post at MSNBC or CNN. Kelly needs to apply there.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:

Big Bird (09-14-2019),Big Dummy (09-14-2019),jirqoadai (09-14-2019),JMWinPR (09-14-2019),NORAD (09-14-2019),Old Ridge Runner (09-14-2019)

Stalking Santa in 2019 V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 27.0%

Thanks
    Is he writing a book?

Sounds like the PR needed to set off a book launch.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to NORAD For This Useful Post:

Big Dummy (09-14-2019)

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entrySocialVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 32.0%

Thanks
    Posse omitatus is the worst law ever passed in this country.
    If we cannot use armed forces to protect our borders, we have no chance to continue to exist as a country.
    Saint Junipero Serra's Legacy - the untold stories of California
    A Soldier's Stories - Reports of news and interesting stuff

I proudly voted for President Trump!

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sargentodiaz For This Useful Post:

Canadianeye (09-14-2019),jirqoadai (09-14-2019),MrMike (09-14-2019),Old Ridge Runner (09-14-2019)

Senior Member Forum Donor Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class3 months registered
    Overall activity: 7.0%

Thanks
    If you go strictly by the letter of the law, nothing prevents a border state governor from deploying the state national guard to the border.

Posse Comitatus specifically prohibits FEDERAL troops from acting in a law enforcement capacity.

Thread Information