User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Trump Fed-Up with Tent Cities....Taking Matters in His own Hands

Alumni Member Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Overall activity: 20.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nonsqtr View Post
    Nah, it's the same old bullshit with these idiot politicians, throw money at the problem and hope it goes away.

Razing tent cities is not going to solve the problem.

Building facilities is not going to solve the problem.

These politicians have no idea what homelessness even is. Not one of them has ever been homeless. Not one.

Donald Trump has no more idea what homelessness is, than Nancy Pelosi does. They're detached, they're not familiar with the reality they're trying to address.

I lived homeless for a year-and-a-half, in a tent city in a park in Manhattan. I could tell these clowns a lot about homelessness.

First of all, there are different kinds of homelessness. The homelessness you find on Skid Row, is not the same as the homelessness in the Sepulveda basin. There is no one-size-fits-all solution, no combination of money and Facilities is going to solve this problem.

The first thing that has to happen, is the politicians themselves have to understand, and we're a long way away from that right now.
    While you're are pretty close to accurate, I wonder what your solution would be? A person has to have someplace to start from and work forward.
    Those in need of medical attention, ei. heavy drug use, will be the hardest to help, if they wanted it. And therein lies the rub, how many of them actually want a roof over their heads and would they start to work for it.
    Give them a "fishing pole" idea.............jus' sayin'
    Everything is on its way to somewhere
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
    - Thucydides

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" B. Franklin
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 42.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by St James View Post
    While you're are pretty close to accurate, I wonder what your solution would be? A person has to have someplace to start from and work forward.
    Those in need of medical attention, ei. heavy drug use, will be the hardest to help, if they wanted it. And therein lies the rub, how many of them actually want a roof over their heads and would they start to work for it.
    Yes. There will be some people who simply don't want help and won't accept it.

But - take for example the heroin addicts, of which there are many. These people have a real problem, they have to come up with several hundred dollars a day, and usually they go through extremes to get it. Many of them would give their left nut for 30 days of methadone and a quiet bed.

But yes to couple that with an effective environment on the ground, in other words, you can't allow the prison guards to engage in drug dealing. There has to be ZERO way to obtain heroin while this is going on. It wouldn't be that hard to accomplish, but unfortunately this is the federal government were talking about, so the whole thing turns into the Keystone Cops.

Some of the methods used in the drug courts are particularly effective. Basically the idea is you just keep making people's lives harder and harder every time they screw up, and if they don't screw up any more then they get the rewards.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to nonsqtr For This Useful Post:

St James (09-15-2019)

Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 42.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by St James View Post
    Oh - I also should say, that any kind of federal housing has to be perceived as a "good deal" relative to the life these people have on the streets. That means one thing on Skid Row, or people are basically living off the missions, but it means a different thing in the Sepulveda basin, or people are hunting rabbits and doing their laundry in the Stream.

There is a subset of homeless people that truly enjoys the outdoor life, and they've learned to fend for themselves, and they don't like responsibilities and deadlines and stuff like that. Some of them work day jobs whenever they need a few bucks, and they don't make enough to really make a living, but they don't really need to either. This group of people will be the hardest nuts to crack, and I'm not sure they really need to be cracked. If they're finding for themselves, then maybe they don't really have a problem. I would say maybe this is 5% of the homeless population, meaning that 95% really don't enjoy the conditions in which they're living.

You have to be on the street for awhile to understand the basic conditions of homelessness. For example, bathrooms. Homelessness really is a Public Health crisis oh, because what happens is no establishment is going to let you use their bathroom, so you end up using bathrooms in public parks and stuff like this, and maybe not even in public parks, and it's a great way to pick up all nanner of disease. Then if you're sleeping outside, you were sleeping with rats and ticks and whatever else might come along...

And then there's the concept of showers. Showers are hard to come by when you're homeless. And, you can't get a job if you can't take a shower. You can go through all the trouble and do all the work to set up the interview, but if you can't take a shower it's pointless. The employer may not care that you're homeless, but they're sure going to care if your scruffy and dirty and stinky and smelly and all their customers complain.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nonsqtr For This Useful Post:

St James (09-15-2019)

SocialTagger First ClassRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Overall activity: 20.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nonsqtr View Post
    Oh - I also should say, that any kind of federal housing has to be perceived as a "good deal" relative to the life these people have on the streets. That means one thing on Skid Row, or people are basically living off the missions, but it means a different thing in the Sepulveda basin, or people are hunting rabbits and doing their laundry in the Stream.

There is a subset of homeless people that truly enjoys the outdoor life, and they've learned to fend for themselves, and they don't like responsibilities and deadlines and stuff like that. Some of them work day jobs whenever they need a few bucks, and they don't make enough to really make a living, but they don't really need to either. This group of people will be the hardest nuts to crack, and I'm not sure they really need to be cracked. If they're finding for themselves, then maybe they don't really have a problem. I would say maybe this is 5% of the homeless population, meaning that 95% really don't enjoy the conditions in which they're living.

You have to be on the street for awhile to understand the basic conditions of homelessness. For example, bathrooms. Homelessness really is a Public Health crisis oh, because what happens is no establishment is going to let you use their bathroom, so you end up using bathrooms in public parks and stuff like this, and maybe not even in public parks, and it's a great way to pick up all nanner of disease. Then if you're sleeping outside, you were sleeping with rats and ticks and whatever else might come along...

And then there's the concept of showers. Showers are hard to come by when you're homeless. And, you can't get a job if you can't take a shower. You can go through all the trouble and do all the work to set up the interview, but if you can't take a shower it's pointless. The employer may not care that you're homeless, but they're sure going to care if your scruffy and dirty and stinky and smelly and all their customers complain.
    Yes, I agree it is a complex problem. And each has its subset of issues. You cannot force people to change, not matter what is said and done.
    Everything is on its way to somewhere
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
    - Thucydides

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" B. Franklin
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation Second ClassTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 25.0%

Oaxaca, Mexico, for over twenty years. Born and raised in Memphis, TN, and worked in Colorado.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by El Guapo View Post
    Paying people (welfare)to live the hobo life has worked out so badly, that I guess the only solution is to provide them free housing too.

Yeah.

That'll solve the problem.
    It would help because they could still be bums but rent out the taxpayer provided home as a rental or, even better, and AirBNB.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to patrickt For This Useful Post:

St James (09-15-2019)

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class1 year registered
    Overall activity: 4.0%

Thanks
    I see homeless out here in the Burbs every time I go shopping or out to eat. Why is it 'Skid Row' that gets the attention, when those Skid Rows exist because homeless services already exist there in the first place? Ghettos are violently racist places, so white homeless can't stay around those Rows that service black communities, same reason few but blacks can get public housing when it becomes available, at least in major cities.

Voluntary recycling has also made it tough to get by for many of these self-employed scavengers as well, less junk to sell.

50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation Second ClassTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 25.0%

Oaxaca, Mexico, for over twenty years. Born and raised in Memphis, TN, and worked in Colorado.
    Thanks
    When I was working, and if it's changed it's gotten worse, we had superb 5-star homeless shelters. But, darn it, if the poor, helpless homeless person showed up drunk or stoned they weren't let in. If they assaulted other people in the shelter they were banned. If they smuggled in booze and/or drugs and used them in the shelter they were banned.

Before long, a sizable portion of the poor, helpless homeless population had to live in the park.

50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryTagger Second ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 7.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Libhater View Post
    Come again. What exactly makes conservatives look lazy and stupid? By having Trump send some of his officials to figure out and to start fixing things in those decrepit cities seems to be something of exercise in efficient progress.

NORAD has a valid point. Get to the real link before posting. That's the gist of it.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MrogersNhood For This Useful Post:

NORAD (09-17-2019)

Thread Information