User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have You Ever Pondered Eternity?

Alumni Member & VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranSocial
    Overall activity: 17.0%

Thanks

Have You Ever Pondered Eternity?

When we die we join the countless billions who have gone on before us. Will we be in another stream of consciousness? Will we know them? Will we be asleep until the Good Shepard calls us home?

Thoughts please.

Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Overall activity: 72.0%

Thanks
    I don't think we'd have the same presence of mind as we do in the walkin' around world. More like that white blaze from a TM session. It will be a quantum reality. Like a candle flame. Blow it out...but...the light it emitted is still out there...the heat is forever dissipating...thinning out...joining a quantum reality.
    If you don't practice...you'll sound like it. And, if you don't tune, your life will sound like it, too. Listen to the intervals. That's where it all hides from you.....

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Northern Rivers For This Useful Post:

East of the Beast (09-02-2019)

V.I.P. V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 27.0%

Thanks
    First it must be established that there is the possibility of consciousness APART from the inner workings of the physical organ called the brain. I don't believe it CAN be? We may not yet totally understand how the brain produces awareness - thoughts, emotions, etc., but we are pretty dang sure it DOES, chemically and physiologically. If certain parts of the brain cease to function correctly, certain aspects of consciousness will also end or be hindered. If specific psychiatric drugs are introduced into the system, they work on specific areas of the brain and cause a predictable alteration of consciousness.

In short, whatever our consciousness is, and however it is defined, there is no reason to imagine it exists outside of, or apart from, the brain. Therefore, if the brain dies, there is no reason to believe consciousness can or will continue. We can CHOOSE to believe it will, but that is simply a CHOICE, also conceived in the brain, and may just be a desire on the part of the brain to WANT to believe that?
    Last edited by SharetheHedge; 09-02-2019 at 08:33 PM.
    "If you think they hate Trump now, wait till his policies start working." (Dennis Miller)

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who kept their swords." (Benjamin Franklin)

"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society." ​(Aristotle)

V.I.P
    Achievements:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SharetheHedge View Post
    First it must be established that there is the possibility of consciousness APART from the inner workings of the physical organ called the brain. I don't believe it CAN be? We may not yet totally understand how the brain produces awareness - thoughts, emotions, etc., but we are pretty dang sure it DOES, chemically and physiologically. If certain parts of the brain cease to function correctly, certain aspects of consciousness will also end or be hindered. If specific psychiatric drugs are introduced into the system, they work on specific areas of the brain and cause a predictable alteration of consciousness.

In short, whatever our consciousness is, and however it is defined, there is no reason to imagine it exists outside of, or apart from, the brain. Therefore, if the brain dies, there is no reason to believe consciousness can or will continue. We can CHOOSE to believe it will, but that is simply a CHOICE, also conceived in the brain, and may just be a desire on the part of the brain to WANT to believe that?
    There's has got to be more....We are so exquisitely made.It cannot be by cosmic happen stance.There is a connection with our existence and the eternal cosmos.There is purpose to our existence beyond just being born aging and then dying.......No sir........Glory awaits!

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 37.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by East of the Beast View Post
    When we die we join the countless billions who have gone on before us. Will we be in another stream of consciousness? Will we know them? Will we be asleep until the Good Shepard calls us home?

Thoughts please.
    Define "eternity".

The most common definition is inaccurate, it connotes "forever".

The other more subtle but probably more accurate definition, is "without time" - "timeless", connoting either outside time or "within" it in the sense that all time becomes a point.

V.I.P
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassRecommendation First ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 29.0%

Thanks
    As you said......we are so exquisitely made and we are self-aware..... there must be more. Sometimes I believe it is in spirit form, other times I think maybe it will be physical form. But whatever it is, I believe we will be aware much as we are aware now. There are some questions I have, but even if I ask them here, they can't really be answered unless someone has been dead and comes back and can remember and report in detail.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jen For This Useful Post:

East of the Beast (09-03-2019),Rickity Plumber (09-03-2019)

::::::::::::::::::::::::: Achievements:
    Overall activity: 7.0%

Thanks
    Funny how all the religious people claim to know so much, but according to The BIBLE (that they always expect everyone ELSE to preach or follow), the answer is right there in one simple sentence, in Ecc 9:5

V.I.P
    Achievements:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nonsqtr View Post
    Define "eternity".

The most common definition is inaccurate, it connotes "forever".

The other more subtle but probably more accurate definition, is "without time" - "timeless", connoting either outside time or "within" it in the sense that all time becomes a point.
    OK, I agree time is a temporary construct made for this world.

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation Second ClassTagger First Class

Oaxaca, Mexico, for over twenty years. Born and raised in Memphis, TN, and worked in Colorado.
    Thanks
    My thoughts....

"When we die we join the countless billions who have gone on before us." Yeah, sure.

V.I.P. V.I.P Achievements:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by East of the Beast View Post
    There's has got to be more....We are so exquisitely made.It cannot be by cosmic happen stance.There is a connection with our existence and the eternal cosmos.There is purpose to our existence beyond just being born aging and then dying.......No sir........Glory awaits!

But honestly, there's no substance to your argument that there "HAS to be more"? It seems to be based on emotion and whim?
    What is the evidence that an individual's consciousness can or will exist apart from the brain? Where else can it be demonstrated that our consciousness RESIDES?
    "If you think they hate Trump now, wait till his policies start working." (Dennis Miller)

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who kept their swords." (Benjamin Franklin)

"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society." ​(Aristotle)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SharetheHedge For This Useful Post:

Canadianeye (09-03-2019)

Thread Information