User Tag List

Thread: Invasion of urbanite raccoons: Toronto grapples with wild residents

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entrySocialVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 20.0%

Thanks

Invasion of urbanite raccoons: Toronto grapples with wild residents

When humans move in and take over the territories of wild animals, they simply adapt to life around humans.
    In Toronto, which likes to hail itself the world capital of the raccoon, the black-masked creatures know when to cross busy streets (at dawn) in the approximately 3 square blocks that they each generally n
    avigate (unlike the 20 square miles their rural peers can roam) and how to knock over compost bins to get around raccoon-resistant locks that the city spent $31 million (Canadian; U.S.$23.3 million) installing, as a Toronto Star investigation last summer found.
    Coyotes are quite adaptable, he says. And urban environments provide a lot of their necessities: prey, or plentiful food scraps on garbage day, and sheds or industrial spaces to den. They’ve learned if they go back north, they face predators like wolves, Mr. Moro adds. “I guess the closest thing you could call a predator in an urban environment would be a vehicle.”
    Saint Junipero Serra's Legacy - the untold stories of California
    A Soldier's Stories - Reports of news and interesting stuff

I proudly voted for President Trump!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sargentodiaz For This Useful Post:

Brat (09-02-2019),dinosaur (09-02-2019),Lone Gunman (09-02-2019),Rutabaga (09-02-2019)

VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second Class50000 Experience Points
    Overall activity: 61.0%

Thanks
    I have too many raccoons. Right now, mama is bringing her 5 youngsters to the deer feeder every night. They only eat the soft part of the corn, like a squirrel. When the deer come, they all climb up a tree and wait for the deer to leave. We have a fox, but the fox doesn't bother the raccoons. I doubt the fox weighs any more than the bigger raccoons. Everyone leaves when the pigs show up. Each morning, all the animal tracks are covered by raccoon tracks. They are the first and last to visit the feed station.

I cut up a watermelon for the chickens. A raccoon finishes it off down to the skin each night. Anything the chickens don't finish is gone by morning. So far, they are more like a cleanup crew than a nuisance.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dinosaur For This Useful Post:

Brat (09-02-2019),Garden House Queen (09-02-2019),Lone Gunman (09-02-2019),Rutabaga (09-02-2019)

V.I.P V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredSocial
    Overall activity: 28.0%

Thanks
    Invasion? The obvious thing to do is give them free college educations & healthcare. After all they just want a better life. (wink).

Kind of interesting that they wear masks like criminals isn't it? Am I wrong for pointing that out? After all they aren't white. Maybe I'm a racist again.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Old Tex For This Useful Post:

Kris P Bacon (09-02-2019),Rutabaga (09-02-2019),sargentodiaz (09-02-2019)

Alumni Member & VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 23.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
    I have too many raccoons. Right now, mama is bringing her 5 youngsters to the deer feeder every night. They only eat the soft part of the corn, like a squirrel. When the deer come, they all climb up a tree and wait for the deer to leave. We have a fox, but the fox doesn't bother the raccoons. I doubt the fox weighs any more than the bigger raccoons. Everyone leaves when the pigs show up. Each morning, all the animal tracks are covered by raccoon tracks. They are the first and last to visit the feed station.

I cut up a watermelon for the chickens. A raccoon finishes it off down to the skin each night. Anything the chickens don't finish is gone by morning. So far, they are more like a cleanup crew than a nuisance.

cleanup crew,,,yep...i could literally toss a steer carcass out my front door and have every trace of it gone by morning...

i dont have a garbage disposal [i do know what they are] as the animals eat everything i toss...
    "The nose, knows"

@Auntifa,,,when the shooting starts, don't run, you'll only die tired...

#walkaway

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rutabaga For This Useful Post:

Brat (09-02-2019),dinosaur (09-02-2019)

Thread Information