Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Wings For The A-10

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 12.0%

Thanks

New Wings For The A-10

Well...half a loaf...

The Air Force has money to upgrade the fatigued-out wings on 29 A-10s.

The A-10 Warthog Lives To Fly Again

That's worth something, I suppose, but all of them are still stuck with those lame engines and nobody seems interested in building a catapult version for the Marines.

Senior Member Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassCreated Blog entryVeteranSocial
    Overall activity: 10.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Taxcutter View Post
    Well...half a loaf...

The Air Force has money to upgrade the fatigued-out wings on 29 A-10s.

The A-10 Warthog Lives To Fly Again

That's worth something, I suppose, but all of them are still stuck with those lame engines and nobody seems interested in building a catapult version for the Marines.
    The Marines still have the Harrier jet for a catapult-type launch don't they? What is wrong with it?

What is lame about the A-10's engines, set high up on the rear to withstand ground fire? I don't know how many of the A-10'a have ever been lost in combat, but they can hover over the battlefield like a gibbon and unleash mountains of destruction and HE on an enemy. The AF simply wanted them gone because they looked ugly. But ask any infantryman in the Army or the Marines about that aircraft, and it is considered with loving respect. It is the A-10 above the battlefield those infantry units want to see in combat, so glad the AF has decided to keep it flying.

Hell, the B-52's have been kept in the air since 1952, and are still very much a factor in America's flying defense system. Why get rid of the A-10 which proves itself every time it goes up? I don't believe the new replacement for it has the firepower, or the low trajectory and ability to hover over the ground that the A-10 possesses. Keep it flying, even the ground-to-air missiles miss it. I also feel the same way about the Space Shuttles, at least two of them should have been kept flying and the SR-71, an airplane that protected America from the 1960's until they retired all of them. None were ever shot down, were literally faster than a speeding bullet.

The A-10 is a perfect example of a platform designed for and used for exactly that. Protection of infantry and destruction of ground fire and tanks in battle.

The SR-71, high altitude spy plane, operated around 90,000 feet, was build by hand in 1964 I believe, and made of titanium, couldn't be caught. Ronald Reagan knew how to use it against our enemies. At a Communist summit in North Korea during his administration, he gave the AF secret orders to have the SR-1 fly figure eights over North Korea's capital at speed - causing tremendous sonic booms every 10-minutes, breaking all the windows of the meeting center where the commies were meeting.

I agree America' needs to maintain cutting edge technology in military equipment, but the Space Shuttle scared the hell out of the Russians and Chinese every time it went up, and the SR-71 was invincible. A Russian defector to the U.S., when asked what he wanted to see first in America, said Disneyworld and that "damn" black hand built in 1964 spy plane, that we couldn't catch or shoot down even in 1990.

Keep the A-10 flying as long as we can.

Stan
    Last edited by Stan Fan; 08-24-2019 at 01:40 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Fan For This Useful Post:

Big Dummy (08-25-2019)

Senior Member Forum Donor Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points31 days registeredTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 18.0%

Thanks
    The A-10 is one tough son-of-a-bitch.

https://thenewsrep.com/97725/watch-1...hick-campbell/

The Air Force has tried to retire it several times, because it's not as sexy as the "go fast" jets.

The A-10 pilots love it.
    Last edited by markdido; 08-24-2019 at 02:13 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to markdido For This Useful Post:

darroll (08-25-2019)

V.I.P V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredSocial
    Overall activity: 29.0%

Thanks
    Oddly in this day & age where tech is all the rage & speed keep increasing the Warthog is great because it is sloooow. Because of it's ability to fly slowly around a battlefield it's able to really support those ground forces. And honestly if you watch video's of them "working" & imagine yourself on the other end of it you would wet yourself. Bad guys hiding in trees, no problem because a Warthog can make a forest into toothpicks pretty darn quick. Sometimes old is better.

Much the same can be said about B-52's. Sure they have newer bombers & they can pin point bomb even better than the B-52. But three of them abreast aren't that scary. Three B-52 doing the same can "carpet bomb" a huge stretch of ground below them. Will it kill everyone, nope. But those that survive will have busted ear drums & a hell of a lot of those left will be running around screaming at the sky.

Senior Member Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entry3 months registered
    Overall activity: 62.0%

Thanks
    other services to the AF, " you dont wanna help us? fine. get bent ."
    AF in reply, " no no no! dont fire us! "
    sic semper tyrannis

Senior Member Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassCreated Blog entryVeteranSocial
    Overall activity: 10.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Tex View Post
    Oddly in this day & age where tech is all the rage & speed keep increasing the Warthog is great because it is sloooow. Because of it's ability to fly slowly around a battlefield it's able to really support those ground forces. And honestly if you watch video's of them "working" & imagine yourself on the other end of it you would wet yourself. Bad guys hiding in trees, no problem because a Warthog can make a forest into toothpicks pretty darn quick. Sometimes old is better.

Much the same can be said about B-52's. Sure they have newer bombers & they can pin point bomb even better than the B-52. But three of them abreast aren't that scary. Three B-52 doing the same can "carpet bomb" a huge stretch of ground below them. Will it kill everyone, nope. But those that survive will have busted ear drums & a hell of a lot of those left will be running around screaming at the sky.
    So true. In the Iraq War, the second one, the B-52's carpet bombed the Iraqi positions in the desert continuously to keep them occupied while the American military convinced them we would make a head first assault on them, we went around them. By the time the B-52's stopped bombing, Iraqi solders who survived the thunderous assault from the air, came out of their holes and started surrendering to American television crews filming events. There are really no particular on the board plans to replace the B-52's, which can travel the globe and arrive on target with massive HE content to destroy the enemy, anywhere. America, no matter who builds planes, French, British, Russian, Chinese or Korean's, still controls the worlds airspace.

If President Trump wants his "Space Force" he should bring the Space Shuttles out of mothballs as a first step, we don't even own a rocket in our inventory to put a man back in space today, and no longer possess the ability to put man back on the moon. We have to use Russian and Chinese rockets for manned spaceflight. As for the SR-71 Blackbird, no aircraft in American flight's military history ever performed a better job than that aircraft. It projected and protected American freedom across the world at super sonic flight speed, matter of fact, it was difficult to slow it down for in flight refueling, and it carried no weapons, just a crew of two, flew faster than a rifle bullet, and could stay above or outrun any missile ever launched at it, and thousands were.

For a quick and enjoyable story on the SR-71, go to U-Tube and punch up "LA Speed Check."

Stan

Last edited by Stan Fan; 08-25-2019 at 02:07 AM.

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entrySocialVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 48.0%

Thanks
    They say the upgrades will keep the Warthog in service another 20+ years.
    Saint Junipero Serra's Legacy - the untold stories of California
    A Soldier's Stories - Reports of news and interesting stuff

I proudly voted for President Trump!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to sargentodiaz For This Useful Post:

markdido (08-27-2019)

VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassCreated Blog entry1 year registered
    Overall activity: 24.0%

Thanks
    Those A 10's are rough on enemy tanks. Great aircraft.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to darroll For This Useful Post:

jirqoadai (08-25-2019)

Senior Member Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entry3 months registered
    Overall activity: 62.0%

Thanks
    saw a few pics of one that had most of its wing shot off. i couldnt figger out how it stayed in the air.
    sic semper tyrannis

VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassCreated Blog entry1 year registered
    Overall activity: 24.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jirqoadai View Post
    saw a few pics of one that had most of its wing shot off. i couldnt figger out how it stayed in the air.
    I think a female was the pilot?

Thread Information