50000 Experience Points31 days registeredTagger Second Class
    Overall activity: 81.0%

Thanks

Ban High Capacity Matchbooks

Here are three arson fire attacks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyoto_...n_arson_attack

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Land_fire

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Bird_Caf%C3%A9_fire

Here is another fire, the deadliest in history which the cause of is debated - either arson or the clumsy act of a young worker trying to replace a light bulb.

It killed 492 people.

Let's ban matches and make "high capacity "matchbooks" illegal!
    Last edited by Piru; 08-24-2019 at 04:30 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Piru For This Useful Post:

dinosaur (08-24-2019),Foghorn (08-24-2019)

VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second Class50000 Experience Points
    Overall activity: 31.0%

Thanks
    High Capacity Matchbooks? Are you kidding me?? Those went away with muskets and muzzleloaders. No self respecting arsonist would be satisfied with JUST high capacity matchbooks.

Only Hollywood uses matchbooks. They must have some magical dramatic effect or something. Hollywood is weird.

Modern technology has brought us semi-automatic fire starting devices. The founding fathers never dreamed of them, or they would have banned them in the 2nd and a half Amendment. These modern marvels come preloaded with a perpetual supply of firestarter in liquid form. No one has ever found the end of the supply; they have always lost them first or left them out in the rain. Dealers don't need special FFL licenses, and there is no paperwork or waiting period. Every convenience store has them displayed at the checkout counter, except maybe CVS.

And boy o boy, every female has to have the "assault firestarter"! They use them to light those delayed action fire death traps they call mood candles. They almost always have a trigger guard, and some even have some sort of end of muzzle device. Most have a adjustable feature to increase the rate of fire, from potpourri to burn down the house. ATF doesn't even regulate the barrel length! Some are "long firestarters", and some are "pocket lighters". Most states allow concealed carry of the pocket variety! No license or training required!

Men being men, they have jumped into the action too! They always have a few laying around the back deck, and they spring into action to burn both wild and tame animals. I once had a burger that was victimized by a "assault firestarter". It was pretty tasty.
    Last edited by dinosaur; 08-24-2019 at 06:58 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dinosaur For This Useful Post:

Piru (08-24-2019)

Senior Member Achievements:

Thanks
    I watched someone used an assault fire starter to light candles on a birthday cake last Tuesday. Call the FBI!

Thanks
    The media has completely dropped the Kyoto arson attack because the terrorist did not use a gun and he wasn't white.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Piru For This Useful Post:

Foghorn (08-24-2019)

50000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class1 year registered
    Overall activity: 15.0%

Thanks
    Well years ago they did put the area to strike them on the back. Anymore a lot of box matches, that you could ignite scratching them on anything, can only be ignited by striking them on the box.

They have made a lot of progress in dealing with the match threat, but a national registry would help.
    Regarding my avatar: I am the one on your left as you view it

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DLLS For This Useful Post:

Piru (08-24-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DLLS View Post
    Well years ago they did put the area to strike them on the back. Anymore a lot of box matches, that you could ignite scratching them on anything, can only be ignited by striking them on the box.

They have made a lot of progress in dealing with the match threat, but a national registry would help.
    You can't buy Sudafed over the counter. Let's start background checks for cigarette lighters.

Thanks
    I can't edit now, but I need to correct something in my opening post. The Coacanut Grove Fire was the deadliest nightclub fire in U.S. history.

The deadliest structural fire in U.S. history was the Iroqouis Theatre Fire (1904) in Chicago which killed 602 people.

I also was only referencing United States history. I am sure that greater death tolls have occurred by fire on several places in many epochs in the history of this relatively small rock orbiting a giant ball of fire in a vast universe.
    Last edited by Piru; 08-24-2019 at 02:54 PM.

Thread Information