User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: No personal days?

Senior Member Achievements:
    Tagger First Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 9.0%

Thanks

No personal days?

I just learned that our usual server, at the pizza place that my wife and I frequent about twice per week, has no personal days--none.

I found this to be utterly bewildering. And highly irritating.

Although I am well into retirement--it has been almost 14 1/2 years now--if I had been applying for a job during my working lifetime; and if the interviewer had indicated that there were no personal days allowed by the company (even if the hourly wage were substantial), the rest of the conversation would surely have gone something like this:

Me: "Back up just a little, please. What was that you just said about personal days?"

Interviewer: "I said that there are none given."

Me: "It sounded like that is what you said. I just could not believe that I heard you correctly."

Me again: "I think that we have discussed all that we need to. But I do wish you a pleasant rest of the day."

And then I would have simply walked out. Briskly.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pjohns For This Useful Post:

Brat (08-15-2019),Lone Gunman (08-15-2019),Northern Rivers (08-16-2019)

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 30.0%

Thanks
    Define "personal days". As an employer why should I pay you just to stay home?
    "You can get a lot further with a kind word and a gun
    Then you can get with just a kind word"

"Al Capone"

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Felix Birdbiter For This Useful Post:

2cent (08-15-2019),Daily Bread (08-16-2019),darroll (08-17-2019),Northern Rivers (08-16-2019),patrickt (08-15-2019),Rickity Plumber (08-16-2019),Rutabaga (08-15-2019),ruthless terrier (08-16-2019)

Alumni Member & VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 29.0%

Thanks
    sick days, holidays, vacation days, even paternity days..

"personal days?"

sounds like a personal problem to me...

dont try to make your problems mine..i've got enough of my own without incorporating yours.
    Last edited by Rutabaga; 08-15-2019 at 02:12 PM.
    "The nose, knows"

@Auntifa,,,when the shooting starts, don't run, you'll only die tired...

#walkaway

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rutabaga For This Useful Post:

Daily Bread (08-16-2019),NORAD (08-17-2019),patrickt (08-15-2019),ruthless terrier (08-16-2019)

V.I.P V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredSocial
    Overall activity: 27.0%

Thanks
    To me personal days would be different than sick days. And I guess that I could see it if there is nobody to fill in for you.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Old Tex For This Useful Post:

Lone Gunman (08-15-2019),Northern Rivers (08-16-2019),pjohns (08-16-2019)

50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation Second ClassTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 64.0%

Oaxaca, Mexico, for over twenty years. Born and raised in Memphis, TN, and worked in Colorado.
    Thanks
    I first heard "personal days" from a school teacher. "What's a personal day?"

"Well, we get ten days a year to take off when we have personal things to do."
    "And, working part time you don't have time to take care of personal things?"
    "I don't consider my work to be part-time."
    "Because you've never had a full-time job."

Okay. 365 days a year. 104 days off for weekends. 10 days off on vacation if you are new at the job. At least 10 days a year off for sick. leave. At least ten holidays a year off. For women, 30 days off for maternity leave. That gets us to 201 days a year. That averages to a little less than four days a week.

This reminds me of the idiot on an ethics forum who asked what excuse people used when they wanted a sickie. I asked what a sickie was and was told it's a day off sick when you're not really sick.

"This is an ethics forum?"
    "Yeah?"

When I sat on interview panels the quickest way not to get hired was to ask about days off. You could get all that from personnel and if you wasted time in the interview with those questions you were toast.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patrickt For This Useful Post:

Dr. Felix Birdbiter (08-15-2019),Rutabaga (08-15-2019)

50000 Experience PointsSocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranTagger Second ClassCreated Blog entry
    Overall activity: 58.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rutabaga View Post
    sick days, holidays, vacation days, even paternity days..

"personal days?"

sounds like a personal problem to me...

dont try to make your problems mine..i've got enough of my own without incorporating yours.
    Neither my husband nor I were benefited with "personal days." He never got "sick pay," and the only "vacation time" he got is when he could afford to get away for a few days.

My goodness, people are spoiled.
    This message has been hidden because CNN is on your ignore list.

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead.
    It is difficult only for the others.
    It is the same when you are stupid.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2cent For This Useful Post:

Daily Bread (08-16-2019),Rutabaga (08-15-2019)

V.I.P V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredSocial
    Overall activity: 27.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 2cent View Post
    Neither my husband nor I were benefited with "personal days." He never got "sick pay," and the only "vacation time" he got is when he could afford to get away for a few days.
    My goodness, people are spoiled.
    I was thinking that too.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Old Tex For This Useful Post:

2cent (08-16-2019)

Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Overall activity: 65.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pjohns View Post
    I just learned that our usual server, at the pizza place that my wife and I frequent about twice per week, has no personal days--none.

I found this to be utterly bewildering. And highly irritating.

Although I am well into retirement--it has been almost 14 1/2 years now--if I had been applying for a job during my working lifetime; and if the interviewer had indicated that there were no personal days allowed by the company (even if the hourly wage were substantial), the rest of the conversation would surely have gone something like this:

Me: "Back up just a little, please. What was that you just said about personal days?"

Interviewer: "I said that there are none given."

Me: "It sounded like that is what you said. I just could not believe that I heard you correctly."

Me again: "I think that we have discussed all that we need to. But I do wish you a pleasant rest of the day."

And then I would have simply walked out. Briskly.
    Your whole life are all personal days...except...when you take time off to work. That's always been my ethic....
    If you don't practice...you'll sound like it. And, if you don't tune, your life will sound like it, too. Listen to the intervals. That's where it all hides from you.....

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Northern Rivers For This Useful Post:

Abbey1 (08-16-2019)

Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Overall activity: 65.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Tex View Post
    To me personal days would be different than sick days. And I guess that I could see it if there is nobody to fill in for you.
    My old ad agency was always working...literally, 24/7. Yep, weekends, too. Many (including me) had sleeping bags in the closet. We had more bizz than you could pray for...and the money rolled, in. The clericals were during the day...the musicians came in after dinner and worked right through to dawn to get things, done. It was a natural feel to the day for all concerned. Musicians come alive around midnight, anyway. But...family holidays were always a different story. The Jews pulled long duty on Christian holidays...Christians took on the heavy load on Jewish holidays. There was never any problem.....

I would say...with something as esoteric as creating jingles...you couldn't "hide". Your work was "you"...and, we all took it seriously.

To the point...

If you are good at what you do...like your work, are valued...no boss would deny a personal day. I never did.
    If you don't practice...you'll sound like it. And, if you don't tune, your life will sound like it, too. Listen to the intervals. That's where it all hides from you.....

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Northern Rivers For This Useful Post:

ruthless terrier (08-16-2019)

50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger Second Class
    Overall activity: 68.0%

Thanks
    Being in the trades my entire life, "personal days" were unheard of. Oh yeah, I knew what they were. All the hospital RN's had them and along with city, county and state workers.

But they were unheard of in small business.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rickity Plumber For This Useful Post:

Daily Bread (08-16-2019),Kris P Bacon (08-17-2019)

Thread Information