User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: No personal days?

Senior Member Achievements:
    31 days registered50000 Experience Points
    Overall activity: 17.0%

Thanks
    This sounds like a rant against common sense. Maybe if your job is something that isn't necessary, then a personal day (paid day off for whatever reason) might be able to work. If your employer counts on employees showing up when they are scheduled to work, then personal days are strictly out of the question. Hell, even sick days cause a major inconvenience.

Alumni Member & VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 20.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pjohns View Post
    Why would you assume that this is my problem?

As I noted previously, I have long been retired; and I did receive personal days prior to my retirement.

But I do feel sorry for someone who evidently does not...

my reply wasnt directed at you personally,,only those that think employers own them more than a wage the employees knows of before being hired.

imo, personal days are something the individual could ask about, but other than the numerous paid absences already pointed out, are just more vacation days to do as you want.

unless you think everyone who uses their vacation days to travel to some tropical resort instead of painting the house or other chores needed to be completed that cannot be done in the 2 days of the weeks one is normally off...
    "The nose, knows"

@Auntifa,,,when the shooting starts, don't run, you'll only die tired...

#walkaway

Alumni Member & VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 20.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 2cent View Post
    Ummm, maybe because he didn't produce anything that day?
    he's a pizza server...
    "The nose, knows"

@Auntifa,,,when the shooting starts, don't run, you'll only die tired...

#walkaway

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rutabaga For This Useful Post:

NORAD (08-17-2019)

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation Second ClassTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 66.0%

Oaxaca, Mexico, for over twenty years. Born and raised in Memphis, TN, and worked in Colorado.
    Thanks
    Personal days really should be part of the entire package. (No, I am not asking for government involvement here.)

And it often is not a matter of merely "stay[ing] home." Perhaps the employee needs to see the doctor; or visit the dentist; or even, perhaps, keep an appointment with an attorney. Or something else.

Why should the employee not be paid for an occasional day off (as I was, prior to my retirement in 2005)?
    "Why should the employee not be paid for an occasional day off (as I was, prior to my retirement in 2005)?"

How often did you go in on a scheduled day off and work and tell your employer to not pay you? How would you feel if the employer said, "You have to work ten days a year that you don't get paid for." Or, "You get ten personal days a year and we get to call you in to work on ten of your days off and you won't get paid."

Basically, you got paid not to work and now you think everyone should get paid not to work. You sound like someone who didn't work all that much when they were getting paid.

A man who worked for me came in 10 minutes late one morning and I told him he had to submit a comp slip to take the ten minutes off his comp time. He muttered and got a comp slip. When he was completing the slip another employee came in and said he was sorry we was late and I nodded.

"Doesn't he have to do a comp slip?"
    "No."
    "Why not?" I pulled out an overtime slip for five minutes that the employee had submitted and put it on the desk.

And one of my favorites. A supervisor who worked for me took an afternoon off to play golf. One of the secretaries was talking trash about him taking time off. I said, "Would you like to have the same schedule at Daniel?" "I sure would. I got Daniel's desk calendar and said, "Fine, you're going to a neighborhood group meeting on Thursday night, attending a celebration at the local Mosque on Saturday and you don't get paid overtime but you can take an afternoon off occasionally."

50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation Second ClassTagger First Class

Oaxaca, Mexico, for over twenty years. Born and raised in Memphis, TN, and worked in Colorado.
    Thanks
    Why would you assume that this is my problem?

As I noted previously, I have long been retired; and I did receive personal days prior to my retirement.

But I do feel sorry for someone who evidently does not...
    And I feel sorry for you. So, we're equal except I realize my work had value. Yours, not so much.

Thanks
    Many places (where one may need to go) are not open on weekends; say, a doctor's office; or a dentist's office; or an attorney's office.

So strike that one.

As for the 10 holidays, presumably, these professionals will be closed on these days, also.

Again, strike this.

And as for maternity leave, this leaves out all men--and most women, also.

And vacation days are for...well, vacation--not just for staying home.

Again...well, you get the point.
    Oh, we all get the point. I did work weekends and holidays. And, the employees who didn't could take a couple of hours off to go to the doctor with comp time or even sick leave.

But, I get your point. If it doesn't effect you, you really don't care. You were free not to take a job that doesn't pay you to not work for no good reason but someone hiring shouldn't hire people who expect to get paid and are expected to work.

And, just think, how many people have agreed that they should get paid for not working?

V.I.P. V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocial1 year registered
    Overall activity: 27.0%

Thanks
    "Why shouldn't an employee be able to take a day off with pay?"

Probably THE most stupid question I've ever heard.

People with common sense know, if you don't work, you don't get paid.

It's stupid, to expect an employer to pay employees for NOT working.
    ...you can have anything you want, but you better not take it from me.......GUNS 'N ROSES

Stalking Santa in 2019 V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 30.0%

Thanks
    Geeberzzzz

Now I NEED some greazzy pizza rollz!!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to NORAD For This Useful Post:

HawkTheSlayer (08-17-2019)

Tagger First Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 9.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Abbey1 View Post
    I really don't think your employer has to Grant you, 'personal days.'
    Oh, I quite agree.

There is no law, in this country, that requires an employer to grant a prospective employee personal days.

Likewise, there is no law that requires a prospective employee to accept a job with such a meager benefits package.

I have no problem with either of these points.

Why is it that you appear to have a problem with the latter one?

Tagger First Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 9.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickity Plumber View Post
    Being in the trades my entire life, "personal days" were unheard of. Oh yeah, I knew what they were. All the hospital RN's had them and along with city, county and state workers.

But they were unheard of in small business.
    The pizza place that I referred to is not a "small business."

It is, in fact, a chain restaurant.

And doubtless the largest chain among pizza restaurants...

Thread Information