User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Dem Senators Threaten ‘Restructure’ Supreme Court if 2nd A Ruling goes against them

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 34.0%

Thanks

Dem Senators Threaten ‘Restructure’ Supreme Court if 2nd A Ruling goes against them

Democrat Senators Threaten to ‘Restructure’ Supreme Court if Second Amendment Ruling Goes Against Them

BY DAN ZIMMERMAN |
    AUG 13, 2019 |

Supreme Court Chief Justice of the U.S. John G. Roberts Jr. (Jabin Botsford/The Washington Post via AP, Pool)

The Supreme Court is not well. And the people know it,” the brief said. “Perhaps the Court can heal itself before the public demands it be ‘restructured in order to reduce the influence of politics.'”

That’s the “friendly” warning message that was sent by five Senate Democrats in a brief filed in the Supreme Court in New York State Rifle & Pistol Association v City of New York.

As Fox News notes . . .
    Dramatic changes to the Supreme Court have been proposed by several Democrats vying for their party’s 2020 presidential nomination, with “court-packing” being a common — though highly controversial — suggestion. Increasing the number of justices on the court would allow the president to shift the balance on the bench by loading up justices of his or her preference.

Democratic candidates, including former Rep. Beto O’Rourke of Texas, and Sens. Cory Booker of New Jersey, Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts, Kamala Harris of California, and Gillibrand, all have signaled an openness to expanding the number of judges on the court should they reach the White House.
    Read the full brief here.

Today, fifty-five percent of Americans believe the Supreme Court is “mainly motivated by politics” (up five percent from last year); fifty-nine percent believe the Court is “too influenced by politics”; and a majority now believes the “Supreme Court should be restructured in order to reduce the influence of politics.”

To our ears, the warning smacked of desperation, a weak, last-ditch effort to possibly affect the outcome of a case that could have seismic implications if it goes against the forces of gun control.

To get a more informed opinion, TTAG talked to two attorneys who practice at the federal level and agreed to comment anonymously. They said . . .

This amicus brief was written for an audience of one.

They know that Chief Justice Roberts is a cowardly weakling who is susceptible to this kind of pressure (word is that he caved and changed his vote shortly before the Obamacare decision came out, after Obama engaged in some similar saber-rattling). And of course his concurrence in the case on Auer deference was a textbook example of his cowardice behind a mask of appearing “judicial.”

One can only hope that Roberts is smart enough to recognize that if he keeps caving to this kind of pressure, he’ll just encourage more of it, to the lasting injury to the Court.

Funny how none of these folks were decrying the pressing need for “consensus” when the 5-4 decisions were going the other way.

When we expressed concern over another 4-4-1-style, split the baby result here, they replied . . .

One can hope that Kavanaugh — who recent history shows is clearly NOT a coward — can stiffen his spine.

One “Robertsesque” move I see him doing would be to immediately grant cert in another Second Amendment test case, and schedule it for oral argument at the same time as NYSR&PA.That way, Roberts could throw a sop to one crowd by finding NYSR&PA moot, while also instituting strict scrutiny thru the other case so that he doesn’t look like he’s caving to public pressure.

Of course, setting the precedent that you can evade SCOTUS review by making cosmetic changes to a law after a cert grant would be incredibly corrosive.
    Hold onto your seats.

Just try it fuckers and millions will hunt you down for a one-way trip to Gitmo.
    The saddest epitaph which can be carved in memory of a vanished liberty is that it was lost because its possessors failed to stretch forth a saving hand while yet there was time. — JUSTICE GEORGE SUTHERLAND (1938)

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Big Dummy For This Useful Post:

Bondo (08-24-2019),darroll (08-13-2019),dinosaur (08-13-2019),Jim Scott (08-13-2019),Lone Gunman (08-13-2019),potlatch (08-14-2019),Rutabaga (08-13-2019)

Alumni Member & VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 13.0%

Thanks
    yes, the democrats have loaded the courts with prog judges for decades.

the people know this...and want more conservatives to rule on law and not politics.

the left knows once ruth takes the dirt nap, trump will appoint another conservative to scotus thus shifting the balance towards ethical rulings instead of political ones.

and THAT scares the shit outta them...
    "The nose, knows"

@Auntifa,,,when the shooting starts, don't run, you'll only die tired...

#walkaway

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Rutabaga For This Useful Post:

Big Dummy (08-13-2019),Bondo (08-24-2019),Conservative Libertarian (08-13-2019),dinosaur (08-13-2019),Hillofbeans (08-13-2019),Jim Scott (08-13-2019),Lone Gunman (08-13-2019),Rickity Plumber (08-14-2019),RMNIXON (08-13-2019)

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Overall activity: 14.0%

Thanks
    More likely they will be the ones to get restructured.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Crusader For This Useful Post:

Big Dummy (08-13-2019),Conservative Libertarian (08-13-2019),Hillofbeans (08-13-2019),Lone Gunman (08-13-2019),Rutabaga (08-13-2019)

50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 60.0%

Thanks
    Seems that are trying to extort a decision on the Court.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hillofbeans For This Useful Post:

Conservative Libertarian (08-13-2019),darroll (08-13-2019),Lone Gunman (08-13-2019),RMNIXON (08-13-2019),Rutabaga (08-13-2019)

VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Overall activity: 23.0%

Thanks
    Democrats want the court to "... heal itself ..." to prevent the "... influence of politics..."

I think we can help the Democrats rid the court of the "... influence of politics ...". Four more years of President Trump would be a good return to constitutional courts beyond the influence of politics. Follow that with a couple terms of like minded constitutional appointments, and the courts will be free from the influence of politics for a looooong time.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dinosaur For This Useful Post:

Conservative Libertarian (08-13-2019),darroll (08-13-2019),Hillofbeans (08-13-2019),Lone Gunman (08-13-2019),Rutabaga (08-13-2019)

Social50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteran
    Overall activity: 89.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    More likely they will be the ones to get restructured.
    One would hope but in the long term I wonder?

Young people are no longer educated on the Constitution and the proper structure of our government. They actually want populists actions to take place by Government against the people. The kind driven by the latest emotional outbursts as they would in a Dictatorship

Let the illegals loose, take the guns away, silence the Hate Speech, ect......

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free."

- Ronald Reagan

12. The Following User Says Thank You to RMNIXON For This Useful Post:

Lone Gunman (08-13-2019)

50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 34.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillofbeans View Post
    Seems that are trying to extort a decision on the Court.
    Seems like the Dems are tried of waiting for totalitarian rule. They fix elections, control propaganda, control the children indoctrination centers, nearly control the entire government at this point. They just desperately need to disarm us to finish the task.

Soros isn’t getting any younger. Now or never in his lifetime.
    The saddest epitaph which can be carved in memory of a vanished liberty is that it was lost because its possessors failed to stretch forth a saving hand while yet there was time. — JUSTICE GEORGE SUTHERLAND (1938)

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Big Dummy For This Useful Post:

darroll (08-13-2019),dinosaur (08-13-2019),Lone Gunman (08-13-2019)

Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Overall activity: 10.0%

Thanks

Another reason to vote for Trump

Thanks for tip, Democrats. Now we have another solid reason to be certain to keep you away from gaining more political power.

Jim
    "Need" now means wanting someone else's (taxpayer) money. "Greed" means wanting to keep your own profit. "Compassion" is when a politician arranges the transfer. - Joseph Sobran

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jim Scott For This Useful Post:

Big Dummy (08-13-2019),dinosaur (08-13-2019),Hillofbeans (08-13-2019),Lone Gunman (08-13-2019),Rutabaga (08-14-2019)

VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Overall activity: 23.0%

Thanks
    I am not a legal scholar and I don't know whether or not the SCOTUS should continue to rule in a case where the oppressive state has changed their ways and backed off.

I certainly believe the City of New York will return to their oppressive ways once the SCOTUS decides NOT to rule, and then sit back while it takes years to go through the court system again, and hopefully end up in front of a friendlier (to NYC) SCOTUS. That would be my argument for continuing.

But threatening the SCOTUS, even a veiled threat? These five senators should be ashamed. When does a threat rise to extortion? For me, not being a legal scholar, these five senators have crossed the line.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dinosaur For This Useful Post:

Big Dummy (08-13-2019),Hillofbeans (08-13-2019),Lone Gunman (08-13-2019),Rutabaga (08-14-2019)

Senior Member Forum Donor Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class3 months registered
    Overall activity: 8.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
    I am not a legal scholar and I don't know whether or not the SCOTUS should continue to rule in a case where the oppressive state has changed their ways and backed off.

I certainly believe the City of New York will return to their oppressive ways once the SCOTUS decides NOT to rule, and then sit back while it takes years to go through the court system again, and hopefully end up in front of a friendlier (to NYC) SCOTUS. That would be my argument for continuing.

But threatening the SCOTUS, even a veiled threat? These five senators should be ashamed. When does a threat rise to extortion? For me, not being a legal scholar, these five senators have crossed the line.
    My thoughts exactly!

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to markdido For This Useful Post:

Big Dummy (08-13-2019),dinosaur (08-13-2019),Hillofbeans (08-13-2019),Lone Gunman (08-13-2019)

Thread Information