User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 1860

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialTagger First ClassOverdriveVeteran
    Overall activity: 69.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    I have a school bell with the year 1860 inscribed on it. My great (maybe another great) grandmother rang it to call kids to school out on the Kansas prairie. She was the teacher in a one-room school house.
    And I bet , for survival and protecting those kids , she knew how to handle a rifle in that prairie school house .
    It's time to take off the gloves

Buy It
    Fly It
    Stick It To The Left

Alumni Member & VIP Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassRecommendation First ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 7.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daily Bread View Post
    And I bet , for survival and protecting those kids , she knew how to handle a rifle in that prairie school house .
    I am quite certain she did.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jen For This Useful Post:

Daily Bread (08-07-2019)

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points31 days registeredTagger Second Class
    Overall activity: 70.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinnity View Post
    What was the point the black newspaper was making? It's so little to go on. I'm confused.
    He was taking a not so subtle jab at President Trump, while downplaying the current good economic status of American blacks. It is an interesting way of looking at 1860. Slavery was the reason then. Freedom is the reason now.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Fan View Post
    The Homestead Act gave anybody who occupied and developed the land for one year, that parcel (think it was 40-acres and a mule), free. That act would allow America to assimilate the hundreds of thousands of European immigrants arriving daily, to head West and settle the land. The arriving immigrants either stayed stacked in family units (Irish, Italian, Russian, German, Polish) in the big Eastern seaboard cities of Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore, etc., or set out to settle the West. Many also enlisted and served in the Union Army, being paid by others who didn't want to serve, $300 to escape the draft. Also, particularly the Irish, Polish and German's, went to work on the Transcontinental Railroad at the time, and built it East to West, while Asian (Chinese and Japanese immigrants arriving on the Pacific Coast), built the railroad West to East, meeting at Provo, Utah upon its completion. This was done at the very height of hostilities, with America fractured into two sections, fighting and killing each other.

The native American Indians were not considered eligible for using the Homestead Act, simply because they were not farmers, they were still hunter-gathering tribes, who felt all the land was open and available to them. The U.S. government decided otherwise. Also, the Homestead Act required person(s) to actually live on the land and develop it for a year, the Indians were roving tribes, making them ineligible for the advantages of the Homestead Act.

Stan
    I forgot that Lincoln was not president in 1860. It was James Buchanan.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Fan View Post
    The Homestead Act gave anybody who occupied and developed the land for one year, that parcel (think it was 40-acres and a mule), free. That act would allow America to assimilate the hundreds of thousands of European immigrants arriving daily, to head West and settle the land. The arriving immigrants either stayed stacked in family units (Irish, Italian, Russian, German, Polish) in the big Eastern seaboard cities of Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore, etc., or set out to settle the West. Many also enlisted and served in the Union Army, being paid by others who didn't want to serve, $300 to escape the draft. Also, particularly the Irish, Polish and German's, went to work on the Transcontinental Railroad at the time, and built it East to West, while Asian (Chinese and Japanese immigrants arriving on the Pacific Coast), built the railroad West to East, meeting at Provo, Utah upon its completion. This was done at the very height of hostilities, with America fractured into two sections, fighting and killing each other.

The native American Indians were not considered eligible for using the Homestead Act, simply because they were not farmers, they were still hunter-gathering tribes, who felt all the land was open and available to them. The U.S. government decided otherwise. Also, the Homestead Act required person(s) to actually live on the land and develop it for a year, the Indians were roving tribes, making them ineligible for the advantages of the Homestead Act.

Stan
    Another way to look at it is that immigration killed the American Indian culture. Today's left deplores that happening but is highly supportive of immigration.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Piru For This Useful Post:

Daily Bread (08-07-2019)

Thread Information